Satelite TV guys - Hackers

Well just wondering about stuff…

Like, getting that free satelite.

Yeah… computer emulator, whatever.

Gimme a heads up

free-to-air or whatever? couple people at my work have done it, it is as good as the rumors occording to them

Free to air, because there is no way to steal DirecTV. I think there might be a way to do it with Dish Network though.

like you didn’t know to go here already :roll2:

http://www.nyspeed.com/forums/member.php?u=149

?

lol, don’t worry about it

If I have to spend more than 5 minutes a week dicking with it, it’s not worth my time.

That’ my $.02, never had it, but have had friends with it, and it seemed like much more work than I was willing to deal with.

That was my philosophy as well. For how much TV I actually watch, any amount of work is not worth it.

subscribing… i’m part of the off air antenna crew, at least i get hdtv for locals lol

The easiest way to save money on either dish is to get a four room system and split the bill. My friends have one account and split the bill four ways. Of course you’ll need the dishes and cable but that can be had fairly easily. And if you each have 4 TVs its not going to work without splitting video signals.

Free to air works well but depending on what receiver you buy, you sometimes need to update the software yourself. Its not for everyone.

my father used to be able to flash the eeprom on the direct tv boxes. doing so would enable all channels. they have since switched to a new card that has not been cracked yet.

“A guy I knew”, not me of course, used to do the DirectTV hack. I, I mean he, had a computer in the basement running 24/7/365 running as the emulator with a cat5 running to the sat receiver in the entertainment center. Other than the faint red glow coming from the emulator board you’d never know it wasn’t legit. The early version was dos based, written by a guy name PGM. That would run for months at a time without so much as a hiccup if you had a good bin file. Then they swapped cards and the new emulator was windows based. Moved to a 2k server and a program called Kryptonite, which again could run for months at a time. There were people who simply programmed the cards and stuck them right in the receiver, but generally those would go down once a week or so. The emulation thing really seemed like the way to go.

Then DTV decided to invent their own access card, instead of hiring out 3rd parties with questionable security to do it. My guess is they had one guy design it, and when he was done they killed him and destroyed all documentation about the card’s design. There has not been a hack for this card in the several years since it’s release.

Back when it worked, it was amazing. Nothing like flipping through all the PPV channels just like they were regular channels. No “do you want to buy” or anything, just channel up or down right through them all. In terms of reliablity it was almost as good as a paid subscription. Occasionally a patch would be needed, but for saving $100 a month and getting all the PPV you could watch it was worth it. “my friend” ran it for over 2 years with a total investment of about $300. You do the math.

I’ve heard you can still do it with Dish Network but never looked into it. I’m pretty sure I know someone here was doing the Dish Network thing.

FTA> for the time being.

Can you give me more info…

What happened to the dish network hacks? They finally lock that system down like DTV did?

Hacking directv is pretty much dead now with the P4 and P5 cards. Ever since they killed the HU cards no one’s been able to hack it. I HEAR that people in canada are still programming dish network, because you can’t get in trouble for it there, but i’m out of touch with my :snky: sources

way out of touch :), you can get in big trouble in canada for hacking it.

howie, i don’t want you to go to the slammer.

damn, well i know my guy that i used to get the bin files to throw on the DTV cards from, in st. catherines, is still hacking dish network, but it could just be for personal use

we used to do this. it was as simple as downloading the upgrade and re-flashing the card to get it back up and running. we were gonna try and setup the computer to do the emulation but it was diffiicult for n00bs. neither my father or i were really too computer savy at that point.