Say goodbye to your funding Berkeley CA

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/02/07/berkeley.protests/index.html

:tup: to the lawmakers who introduced the bill to pull their funding.

Protest all you want, it’s the First Ammendment and your right. However, when a city council goes so far as to pass a resolution requesting the Marines leave their city, and praises people who impede work at the recruitment office there should be consequences for their actions.

You can’t piss on the government while standing there with your hand out looking for money.

:clap:

I want to choke people who can’t see the difference between protesting the war and protesting those who offer their lives to defend the quality of ours. For a government to formally protest is pathetic.

Well, I don’t want to choke them. I want to kick them out of this country.

I don’t necessarily agree with the war, but I appreciate anyone who signs up for the military because I know what we all owe to them…

In Washington, a group of Republican lawmakers have introduced the Semper Fi Act of 2008 – named after the Marine motto – to rescind more than $2 million of funds for Berkeley and transfer it to the Marine Corps.

“Like most Americans, I really get disturbed when taxpayer money goes to institutions which proceed to take votes, make policy or make statements that really denigrate the military,” said Sen. David Vitter, R-Louisiana, a co-sponsor of the bill.

now that is an interesting argument.

does the government have the right to pull funding for a city due to protests?

as liberal as berkley has historically been. i dont blame the politicians for acting this way with the city council putting a ban on military recruiters.

i dont agree with our governments foreign policy at all.

this is a major step in the wrong direction for the government. its just a way for them to step on opposition. i would be affraid of this. protest the goverment, and they will punish you.

:clap:A glimmer of hope for this nation.

Let me ask this: How can a local government usurp a federal outpost?

As far as the “punishment”, in changing the federal aide from the college to the marine outpost, I agree that it is questionable.
But how is it unprecedented?

Not saying it is a bad move, but regarding:

In Washington, a group of Republican lawmakers have introduced the Semper Fi Act of 2008 – named after the Marine motto – to rescind more than $2 million of funds for Berkeley and transfer it to the Marine Corp

Kind of a hurting situation that they won’t give the funds to education, but will add it to the billions of $ that we have already spent on this war. I thik they could have found a better solution than yanking funds, but this will prove a point.

I think the protesters have their right to be against the war, but it is a persons choice if they want to go to war. Just like it is the protesters choice to wear a silly hat and carry around cardboard signs they write catchy sayings on in crayon.

Be it a recruiting station, an adult magazine stand, a strip club, a drag strip, there will ALWAYS be some people to bitch about it. The US has become to politically correct and caters to the minority of protesters making us look spineless. In this case, they balls upped. :tup:

if its only 2 million in funding… Its not going to be missed

edit: I assumed it was the college, I retract my statement

Agreed.

However, the bigger issue is about the City Council passing a bill against the recruitment office.

At least IMO.

Exactly. Protests are a part of life in CA. What crossed the line was the City Council officially requesting that the Marines get out of town.

How long before the FAGs (Film Actors Guild) give them the money the govt took away?

this is really just a big publicity stunt by both sides. I’d call the city council crazy if I actually thought they were serious - you can’t allow protesting, and ban recruitment.

where would they get publicity out of this? Are they trying to attract hippies who are anti war, so they can walk around with long hair, Birkenstock’s, and sell shitty jewelry?

If you’re going… to Sannn Frannncisco… be sure to weeearrr… a flower in your hair.

you know what… I bet some researchers will lose their jobs over this that have nothing to do with the protesters… they are hitting the wrong people up here.

Then they better protest to the city council to get them to recind their new order.

this might be the goal. if the cut in funding effects enough people, the current members of the common council will not be re-elected.

Cal Berk, has more than enough funding, the researchers will so no problems. 2 Million to a large research institution is nothing.

This is just my take on the article. It seems as if the city is losing out on the funding. So they will have issues with their officials or construction or what ever the devil they need with the funding

I dont know about “usurping” per-se, but the city council has done all sorts of stupid passive-aggressive bull.

FWIR, things like designating the parking spots in front of the station as “official protest grounds” one day a week. If they had any real balls they would just zone them out of the area, or something else half-retarded.

I don’t agree with it, the marine station has as much 1st amendment right as anyone else. But if you’re going to piss of the Federal Govt, at least be brazen about it.

how is that different then the city council endorsing the job losses which would be incured by the closure of the recruitment station?

Though, again, I don’t know why the Feds are specifically picking the college - other then ease of access.