Sayonara! NYST

:lol:lol:lol:lol:banghead:banghead

January 25, 2014
Judge orders speedway to follow rules
By Joe Mahoney Staff Writer
The Daily Star

Neighbors opposed to the fledgling New York Safety Track in Harpersfield are rejoicing after a judge prohibited the facility from allowing racing there and placed limits on attendance and on motorcycle engine size, keeping down the loud roar of the machines.

The decision, issued by Acting Delaware Supreme Court Judge Brian Burns, also found that the Harpersfield town planning board violated the state Open Meetings Law on three different occasions last year. The judge also took issue with the guidance offered to the town officials by Town Attorney Kevin Young.

The judge annulled the controversial agreement for operation that the town issued to the track. The agreement was the springboard for the track to actively promote its events and market admission tickets to the general public. The judge directed the track operators to submit a new site plan application to the town for the upcoming 2014 season “and beyond.”

Initially, track representatives had assured the town that the facility was “not to be open to the public per se,” attendance would be kept to 25 people and the size of motorcycle engines would be limited to 250cc. Later after the lawsuit was filed, agents for the track said those restrictions were not binding, the judge pointed out.

“This court finds no legal support for that contention,” Burns said. “After considering the legal arguments presented by all parties, the court finds there is no uncertainty in the described use of the property.”

The judge ruled that the track operators are now limited to the activities that were outlined when the site plan was first approved by the planning board — not the one that was modified by the planning board in concert with the code officer.

Burns also awarded attorney’s fees to the neighbors who sued the track and the town, and were represented by Douglas Zamelis, a Springfield attorney who specializes in environmental and land-use law.

The ruling found the Harpersfield planning board violated the open-meetings law three times between Jan. 30 and May 1, 2013. Subsequently, Young contended that the latter two meetings were appropriately closed closed under “attorney client privilege.”

But Burns wrote: “A public entity cannot retroactively invoke the attorney-client privilege only when faced with a challenge to its decision to exclude the public from its deliberations.”

The judge also agreed with Zamelis that town officials violated a section of the Public Officers Law, enacted just a year ago, by failing to make available to the public a memorandum that outlined the site-approval agreement. Such documents that are to be discussed at public meetings are now required by law to be made available to people attending meetings.

Robert Freeman, executive director of the state Committee on Open Government, told The Daily Star that he believes the Burns decision is the first in New York to hold a public body in violation of this requirement. Freeman also said there has been a recent tendency of New York judges to financially punish government agencies and boards that violate the Open Meetings Law by awarding attorney fees to those harmed by such actions.

Whether the town or the track will file an appeal with the state appellate division is not immediately clear. Young, when contacted by The Daily Star, said he would be discussing the available legal options with town board and planning board members. As for Burns’ observations, he said: “We vigorously disagree with the judge.”

The track has been managed for the past year by Greg Lubinitsky. Responding to a request for comment, he said in a text message he is now in Israel and no longer represents the track. He provided contact information for a party he said could respond on behalf of the track. However, that person did not respond to an email request for comment.

The lawsuit was filed by 34 area residents who banded together in a group called Friends of Rural Life and alleged that noise and traffic problems created by the track were disrupting their peace of mind.

“The track, its noise and traffic are a serious threat to our property values,” said Dana LaCroix, one of the petitioners. “We’ll be watching the track very carefully next season and we’ll be quick to enforce the court’s order if the racetrack is foolhardy enough to violate it.”

Another involved in bringing the case, Gabby Leach, said, “We are delighted that justice is alive and well in upstate New York and we’re encouraged that we’ve been heard.”

Town officials have said the 2.2-mile oval track at the site of an abandoned airfield has the potential to stimulate economic activity in the region and bring. Harpersfield has no zoning code.

Named as defendants in the lawsuit were the New York Safety Track LLC, Mountain Top Airfield LLC, the Harpersfield Town Board, Planning Board, town clerk and code-enforcement officer.

The facility, which offers instruction for riders ranging from beginners to the experienced, has been open for business less than a year.

(A change in the final paragraph has been made from the original story.)

source: http://www.thedailystar.com/localnews/x651194550/Judge-orders-speedway-to-follow-rules

Ouch that sucks.

Whatcha going to do this year Chazz?

I have 2 days there this year…

FML

maybe Thompson Motor Speedway

or NJMP

WTF GREAT! wonder if we can get a refund.

traffic problems

That’s a pile of bullshit, when I drive up there or leave the roads are fucking abandoned! I see more cows and goats than people.

the facebook page says nothing about this, they are still talking about a race between an S1000RR go up against a Bugatti:banghead

Ignorance is bliss

So bikes at 15krpm are louder than a plane taking off? What were residents saying when that airfield was in use?

It’s redneck vill, if the track was used for dirt tracking cars, destructo derby or even a hint of NASCAR. They would talk about how great it is and brings the community together.

More and more people are posting that link on their facebook, and getting no response from them.

I bet they are scared of the shit storm regarding the Groupons and everything that people have already paid for.

NYST is deleting posts relating to this article from their FB.

Mine, and 2 others are gone. lol

This is why we can’t have nice things. It’s like the stupid fucking people surrounding lime rock on the way in.

The rednecks aren’t the people doing this. It is the shit heads from the city that move to the country because they think it’s all dead quiet and smells like roses. The same morons that don’t want farms running vacuum pumps.

It’s not all fresh air and Roses out here. It smells like cow shit. Dummies.

Yeah. They don’t want any of the farm noises or smells but if they don’t have their milk for morning coffe they’ll be at the town hall filing complaints about god knows what.

We went through a similar problem with a road course near WNY in Ontario. In the end the NIMBY crowd won the legal battle and the track shut down.

But we had fun with it before they closed :slight_smile:

I made this video using actual voice mail messages from some crazy lady who lived MILES away. Anytime she could hear cars she’d call and leave ridiculous shit. (She’s in the beginning, 2:28 in and at the end of this clip)

damn this new site layout keeps crashing when I reply. This shit has turned into a major cluster fuck! and when cluster fucks happen it never ends well!

No doubt, I want to know what they plan on doing! And info on possible refunds… or else I have to look into a charge back.

WOW that is a boost of confidence!

nods

So it’s city dwellers with their entitled NYC attitude coming and fucking things here since they can’t control jack there. I’m shocked they have any say over farmers running vacuum pumps.

Oh you wouldn’t believe the stink these retards cause. Ever see the “right to farm community” signs? They’re there for a reason.

God help us all!

We’re gonna need you to film us and make a video, I’ll make the threatening call and do my jerky boys impression.

Wow sue for her health going down do to stress? she sounds like a walking yeast infection.

Here is the message I was sent. We’ll see what happens next

Nothing to even bat an eyelash on. Greg already had the entire plan worked out so now 2014 will be even bigger than last season! Thanks, Victoria