scat rods???

Never heard of them before, need some info?

They’ve been around a long time, but mostly small/big block type stuff…specializing in rotating assemblies, and are now trying to get into the import scene. They make two different types of rods for Honda’s. One is considered a “budget” product, and the other is supposed to compete with Eagle and the like. They aren’t too badly priced, but not many people use them. I’ll try and find some info…

http://www.scatcrankshafts.com/index.htm

Scat cranks are generally well regarded. I will consider using their cranks if I ever build a BBC.

Im curious because I found a ge built bottom end with 200 miles on it, has arias pistons and scat rods

that isn’t a bad block then, if that’s what you’re asking. Like Justin said, they are well regarded in the chevy world.

I personally prefer CP/Manley, but the above would be trustworthy as well. Is it balanced/blue’d as well?

says that it was, golden eagle built it so they do the blue/balance and all that stuff

only thing I found interesting was that its a 84.5mm bore and i always heard you couldn’t go any bigger then 84mm???

if it’s for boost, then without sleeving then no, 84mm is as far as I would trust unless you have a VERY GOOD TUNER, like the best.

Was this built as an N/A motor? What is the intended compression, piston design, yadda yadda…

whats the stock bore?

81mm is stock for b16/18

84mm is the limit for the stock sleeves, with the open deck design they crack very easily under the slightest detonation.

84mm on stock sleeves only works on the crv B20 blocks as they have different sleeve construction than the B16/B18 blocks. The B16/B18 have seperate sleeves in each cylinder seperated by a tiny bit of aluminum while the b20’s stock sleeves run together which tends to lead to sleeve cracking between the cylinders. Sleeved blocks whether they start their lives from a B16/18/20 core all have the same capabilities for bores. 84mm is common on boosted set-ups. 85mm is common on all-motor set-ups and should also work fine with moderate psi boosted applications. More extreme NA set-ups go 86 and at times 87 mm (which work quite well until rods go flying out the block as a user on here can attest). The biggest thing to consider when going with the big bore set-ups is that if you start with a bore too big you have no room for error if you score a cylinder wall from a piston failure or similar occurence. NA set-ups need the bigger bore to get the power while the boosted set-up can typically more than account for a 1 or 2 mm difference by adjusting boost slightly.

its a ge sleeved ls block with low compression pistons built for boost, i knew all the above and never heard of an 84.5 mm bore on a boost built motor, only assumption i can come too is that it was rebuilt becuz of piston failure and honed to 84.5 and it only has 200 miles on it after the rebuild

yeah… SCAT has been making performance parts for aircooled VW’s since the late 60’s… so no… they aren’t “now trying to get into the import scene”… maybe a presence in the watercooled import market in the past 10 or so years…

I had no idea they were in the VW scene, I guess I should’ve clarified…the Honda import scene…the products they offer in that arena are very recent

they were the vw scene… the owner started the company in 1961 as a vw owner and hotrodder…

http://www.cbperformance.com/Feb2007a.asp

New and used Beetles were being sold. The hot rodders took a shine to the homely creature. SCAT exploded. We added more and more manufacturing capability. We stuck to performance parts, rather than accessories. Accessories were EMPI’s fortey, hard parts were SCAT’s/ Some key accomplishments along the way: 1996, SCAT started to make crankshafts and expanded carburetion to dual zeniths; 1967, started to manufacture degree pulleys; 1968, SCAT developed with ISKY the 1st hydraulic lifter which was a drop-in, no machining, 1st merger collector exhaust system, Bug Spray ram induction kits, etc.; 1969-1973, SCAT got together with Billey Mitchell, today owner of World Products, largest manufacturer of aftermarket blocks and cranks for V8s. Over the period he built four drag cars and we built the engine components. The 3rd car was the 1st pan car to run 10.50s, 10.40s, etc. The Thunder Bug held every NHRA and IHRA record in every class it could run. The way the car was built set to the standard for today. For the next 20 years no one ran as fast or understood how innovative the cars were. All but the 1st car still survives today. Out of the drag racing came the flange crank, a must for any serious drag racer, and the original H-Beam rods. All this before 1972. In 1975 came the first aftermarket engine case.

:slight_smile:

from what I heard about em they are comparable to eagles. I wouldn’t assume that just cause it is 84.5 it was a scored block. you would be suprised how many are goin with 84.5’s now with some pushing 85mm on high boost set ups.

If you need rods let me know. if the eagles in my motor are still good I will sell em CHEAP

thanks sonny
learn something new everyday!!!

good info Jeff, I didn’t know that.

no doubt… that link is a great article about the history behind it all… over 45 years producing performance parts :bigok:

i’ve got a few buddies who use scat products on SBC’s and BBC’s and they’ve held up to supercharging and lots of abuse at the track/street. I would trust them in my car.

thanks everyone