School me on bikes

Sounds like you need to adjust your posture Dre.

Get one of these and we can all ride…

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c349/juicedss/Longest-Motorcycle.jpg

haaahaaah aaa haaaaaaaa AWESOME

jeeesus rick - I openly have said i know nothing about bikes, hence the title “school me on bikes”, you didn’t have to bruise me verbally so badly.

To respond to everything said, my rationale for dieing easier on a sport bike is well, going fast on a sport bike is what they are for, cruiser is for, cruising at the speed limit-ish. That is my rationale for less dieing, I fully realize that I can die on either, and that many bike fatalities are a result of other drivers.

:mamoru: yes, every decision is a joint decision now !

Did not know that comfort from bike riding was from posture, this I am sure I would learn later on (most likely the hard way)

my, rationale is probably VERY skewed as I know nothing on the topic

MSF courses you don’t supply your own bike? Do you need your license or can you go with only a permit? And I absolutely would not have a passenger for some time I am sure.

I agree with rick.

I am about to ride my Suzuki to ATL. I have gone for 300 miles and with a slight change in posture like he suggests you don’t hurt as much at all.

the MSF course will get u ur license so its more than OK to go with utr permit…and sure sport bikes are fast but who says u have to ride them fast…I like the way they look thats y i got one and Rick is right…I rode almost 300 miles mt 3rd time ever on a bike and my butt was sore but then again so was my friends who had cruiser…but in all most bikes are more than capable of doing what u want to do…it all comes down to preference of which type u like

I wasn’t bruising you verbally, I was “Schooling” you :smiley:

Cruiser are for going fast too :wink:

Posture is very important for comfort. While some bikes may have for seating cushion than others, if you have bad posture you will be in pain no matter what you ride. There are plenty of aftermarket solutions for seats on all sorts of bikes, so you don’t necessarily need a cruiser for a long ride (although some of them are definitely nice :smiley: ).

MSF Beginner course, you just bring yourself, they supply helmets, gloves, and bikes. You need a valid motorcycle permit.

wait,people on here have harley’s and cruisers? i must have missed alot. i think i would ride a sport bike 3 hours before i take a road trip on my ridged 58 pan…

While I was riding with my buddy last summer I wanted to know what 16k rpm felt like between my legs so I slowly rolled on through first gear, then popped it into second near redline and the front wheel hopped on me. Enough to make you pucker a bit when you’re not used to it.

Later on, everyone took off and I wanted to see how hard the thing pulled, so I whacked the throttle open, looked down and saw a buck twenty. Another puckering moment when you’re not used to it. Thankfully I was used to it enough to know to not panic and grab the brake hard or something equally stupid.

At another point in the ride I was rolling on the throttle powering out of the exit of a corner and went into a tank slapper. I wasn’t used to the power and accidentally lightened the front tire a bit too much. Thankfully that wasn’t my first tank slapper (weave if you want to get technical, you don’t often recover from a true lock-lock tank slapper) so I instinctively shut the throttle and held on tight and things got better.

Sure none of it was that serious and all of it was my own doing. Just sayin, it’s easy to put yourself in a potentially bad situation on something that accelerates as fast as a modern 600cc sport bike so starting on less of a bike isn’t a bad idea.

Quoted for truth. Not saying it’s impossible to learn on a bigger bike, but you just increased the difficulty level exponentially. Something with less bite powerwise and chassis wise would be a lot more forgiving if you have a “moment”. It will also be more condusive to learning and practicing your skills, and a bit less intimidating.

:lol: Plus the tight lock-lock angle can make for some embarassing parking lot moments on a sport bike as you turn the handlebars at <5mph and hit the lock and lose your balance: shit fuckfoot downcotdammitgruntbackupclutch-popfuuuucktip-halfway-overgruntkickstand-downsigh

that was the early models… theres a HUGE difference once they got rid of the solid wheels.

hrmmm. maybe some day ill get one… a lot of good info in the thread :tup:

^^^ not a good choice for a good beginner bike. way too much power.

riding posture or not, my old sport bike was horribly uncomfortable for me after 100 miles. got rid of it and now have a sport-tourer (FZ1). way more power than anyone realistically needs on the street, can outhandle the typical sportbike riding squid, and most importantly its infinitely more comfortable for long distances cruises. i regularly do 200-300 miles straight with no pain or soreness. last year i did a tour of the Adirondacks, 1100 miles in 3 days and still felt great afterwards.

i would look into an FZ6 for a first bike if you want something kind of sporty, yet very comfortable to ride and comfortable for a girl to ride on the back of too.

darn im falling behind on the updates, its good they changed it was MUCH needed

I have a related question, how do I sign up for the MSF course? When do I need to sign up to get in next spring?

Thanks

888-4NYRIDE (888-469-7433)

http://www.nysdmv.com/mcmanual/safety_program.htm

basically you call way in advance and they put your name on a list ( which probably already has names on it ) ( hence it being a list ) and then when registration begins they call the people on the list, and that list fills up a majority of the early classes, if not at least half of them. then the rest of the public fills up the other classes right away.

i could be wrong but i believe thats how it is

there is a long waiting list right now unless u know the right people…

I wave to anything with 2 wheels. 75% of crotch rockets wave back and probably 25% of harley guys.