School me on extended warranties (Subaru)

I own a 2012 WRX with 14k on the clock that is currently having it’s short block replaced due to a spun rod 3 bearing. First engine that has ever failed on me. Not exactly instilling much confidence in me considering this is my first Subaru.

That said, are extended warranties worth it? What kind of options are out there?

Thanks

They are completely worth it, if you need the repairs…obviously. It’s an insurance, it’s a gamble. For peace of mind? Absolutely. I don’t know how much Subaru factory warranties are, but I’m assuming they are around $1000-$2000 based on term/mileage.

99.9% of people wouldn’t buy a new car without it having a 3/36k factory warranty. So spend a tad more and get years 4-7 covered.

Make sure you go with a $0 deductible, comprehensive plan.

Thanks Beck

I had great luck with a 3rd party warranty when I cracked the ringlands in cyl 4 on my 04 sti. Fully covered shortblock, and the shop actually ordered one with forged cp pistons. lol

I’d say my case is rare, since the sti was heavily modified and shouldn’t have been covered, but on a stock wrx, especially one on it’s second engine, id say its well worth it.

:2cents:

---------- Post added at 12:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 PM ----------

ps: how the fuck did it fail? I was looking at Subaru’s GTP program on my Legacy, and the number was pretty good. I was considering a 2013 wrx sedan.

WHAT HAPPENED?

Not entirely sure what happened. I’m leaning toward the engine being beat on when it only had approximately 160 miles on it. Someone by the name of Brian at West Herr body shop thought it was a good idea at the time.

Fack. That’s why I am so weary of buying a used Subaru, and even if it was new… if it has more than 7 miles on it when delivered to the dealership, i’d refuse delivery.

I worked for a dealership for a few months a world ago and believe me, cars get beat on daily.

I honestly think that people worrying about doing that to the car are over paranoid. Both of my evos I’ve had now were purchased new and the first car saw the dyno at 200 miles. The newer one at 1200 miles and they ran strong and hard.

Then I’d say the majority of car guys are over paranoid. A good solid break in period is the only way to go in my book. Is your name Brian by chance?

Lol

subaru does not exactly have a good track record for building a good engine

Probably a bit too much fun in the snow perhaps? Are they not known for oil starvation when doing donuts?

Dude I work with (late 40’s family man type of guy) had his outback motor pop on him last year, and I know he properly maintains his car and for sure does not beat on it. Just shitty luck I guess, but that would for sure turn me off quite a bit.

I don’t beat my cars, bikes etc.

Nope my name is not Brian. Most of the “built” engines I see coming from the Evo world don’t get break ins. I’ve seen plenty of engines installed and thrown right to the rollers and high boost thrown at it. If it’s gonna break it’s gonna break regardless. From what I’ve seen Subaru definitely doesn’t have a good track record with their engines. I’ve heard of stock STI’s cracking ringlands which seems unreal.

I loved my STi, but I don’t think I’ll ever own another one due to the amount of engine failures Ive heard and read about. If you plan on keeping the car stock I’d say an extended warranty would be worth it.

What oil are you using? Any mods?

Only dealer serviced. Only mod is some lowering springs.

Bump, I’m struggling with searching here. Car in question is a 2016 Kia Soul, which already comes with the 10yr/100k. So it’s not pertaining to Subarus but I swear @Beck or someone else on here was recently mentioning info on reputable aftermarket warranty companies. Anybody want to weigh in? Dealer wants $3300 for a 10yr/120k warranty covering pretty much everything aside from “brakes, tires, and wipers.” I know it’s been debated already in the Shady Dealer thread about the value of extended warranties. I’m just trying to find something for comparison because I feel like there are better options to be had under $3300 and the dealer is likely profiting a good amount off the up-sell. Is it likely that this extended warranty will pay off? Who knows, but I’d rather see what other options are to be had out there for aftermarket warranties.

AUL or your wasting your money.
(And make sure they check the gaskets box.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, gonna look into this tomorrow. I knew it began with an A and I actually tried searching some of your recent posts too. I looked right past it when I was quickly reading through your intro post in the vendor section.

Pm me tomorrow and we can discuss :tup:

I have some options, but nothing longer than 60 months. That’s incredible.