School me on golfs...

…mark II and mark III golfs to be exact.

what are the pros and cons? what problems should i look for. leave out the “VWs are gay” rhetoric :mamoru:

the potential car’s purpose will a nice/fun dd that i can fit my kids into, has good gas mileage, and is cheap.

:eekdance:

out of the mkII and mkIII…go with a mkII for sure. the mkIII is somewhat known to be the mistake years of the VW’s. the MKIIs will be much more simplified to work on and mod. VW’s are much like tinker toys, as you can bolt in just about ANY VW engine into ANY chassis made by VW and just re-wire and go. on mkII’s just watch for rotted floorpans(they rot from the bottom up so look hard underneath), and wheel bearings are a recurring issue throughout ownership.

thanks man, i dig the style of mark IIs over mark IIIs but i have no idea about vw tech lol

who’s Mark? it’s typed MK, and sounds the same. go over on VWvortex.com and start reading. buy one from down south, pretty much all of them are clapped out up here.

if you want a reliable daily you should get a mk3.

true dat

lol good fix

For a DD I would not go mk2

The mk3 94-99.5 can be pretty solid.
Only issue I had with mine back in the day was a maf and tps.
I pounded the snot out of it too.
The aba 2.0 is a pretty tough motor.

i didnt have any major issues with my 98 gti vr6. i drove that for just about 2.5 years.

I had a MK2 for 3 year and 65k, drove it from 110k to 175k and had only very minor things go wrong, just brakes, wheel bearings and a radiator.

Hey, I hear civics are nice daily’s…

i have a mk4 tdi jetta and I love it.

the mk4s are way more refined, and you could find a 2.0 base mk4 jetta on the cheap

up untill mk4’s came out.

my mk2 jetta is still my favorite car i have owned(currently have a audi TT) Swap in a obd1 aba 2.0 and you have a fun light car that is good on gas and is still pretty quick with little mods. Not to mention parts are a dime a dozen if you know where to look.

I ran that poor little 2.0 and whatever oil i had around…over heating it mutiple times when it had a coolant leak and generally drove it like i stole it and the car would not die!

Also you can find good mk2’s up here. Hell my 92(mk2) jetta had less rust then my current 95(mk3) gti.

This is the way to make an awesome mk2.

if you want a solid dd get either. vrs are faster but also more expensive. the mk2 is more handling responsive but also much smaller and older (finish and style)the mk3 is obviously larger but slower. beware of the O2O differentials (in all the 4cyl trannys) they are a little weak. if you really want to get into it shoot me a pm and i’ll go on.

I just sold my mk2 jetta, and am probably scrapping the other. Real fun cars and I miss driving them but they are 20 year old cars, they have all the typical old car issues (bearings/bushings/joints/ect) but they can be pretty reliable. Mine never left me stranded, even with a giant hole in the tranny and very little fluid.

im almost done with my 2.0 swap on my 92 jetta. as for reliabilty id say either a mk2 or mk3 would be good as long as its not a rot box.