VW advice

Looking for something for daily commuting/ family transport that gets decent fuel mileage. I’ve been looking at VW’s, but being Honda oriented, know very little about them, as far as the in’s and out’s and what to look for.

I found an '06 VW 4dr Golf GLS that may fit the bill for what we need.
Here’s the info on it:
One owner/family vehicle
5spd, 116k miles
Black Interior / Black Exterior
Cold Weather Package - Heated front seats and washer nozzles
Monsoon sound system
New timing belt
New water pump
New serpentine belt
All replaced January 2012
Asking $6k/BO

Would like to know what to look out for and some basic knowledge before I go test drive it and make a decision.

Very solid cars. No real issues to speak of. The cam follower for the high pressure fuel pump has a recall, other than that they really are trouble free.

Alright, that sounds good.
So based on the info I have, barring any major obvious issues, this sound like a fair price for a decent car?

I don’t know much about VW’s either but from researching their asking price, it seems very reasonable.

I thought you were going Volvo?

Volvo is still one of the choices.
4doors and 5spd is a must. More cargo room would be a bonus, hence the variety in the list.
It’s basically come down to 1st gen V70’s, MK3 or MK4 Golfs & MK4 Jettas, or back into a 1st Gen AWD CRV or Element.
I’m still driving my Civic HX but looking and shopping around.

if you like honda know honda stay with honda.

a VW will ruin you. honda’s are simple. they are great a to b cars and can be quick. vw are all about the comforts. I wish i was ok with a honda, my life would be simpler.

What about a mkVrabbit or jetta with the 2.5, they run forever it seems

Im not saying Vw’s dont run forever. both mine have 200k+ everyone in my family has Vw’s with over 200K

Im saying if you like Honda and can be happy with the simple things stay with what you know and love. VW’s RUIN people they are cars that have a soul and it could potentially ruin you to driving soulless cars like Honda/Toyota

This is kind of my problem now and why I am looking at older Volvos’ and VW’s.
Hondas’ have not had any soul or fun for the past 10 years or so, boring, bland and unimaginative is what comes to mind.
The Element and CRV made my list based on practicality and the fact that I like my wife’s Element, though I wish it got better MPG’s.

Very well put. :tup:

My Jetta just hit 359,000

Race to 400?
Ive got 360k on the yetta.

Dude you’re on! About to go and get some good mileage on the xxx

the vw 2.0 is the most gutless and miserably slow engine ever and the 2.5 gets horrible MPGs (worse than my 2.0T in many cases).

I don’t know if I would drop $6k on a 2.no when that’s almost 1.8T GTI money.

If it is a 2.0T get a downpipe and a tune and it will transform it

Uhh…huh?

And that’s EXACTLY why I’d buy the 2.0L over the 1.8T. The 1.8T is the BIGGEST PIECE OF SHIT ENGINE ON THE PLANET!!! FUCK THAT ENGINE!!! Worse then the GM 3.3l V6, or the 3.1L, whatever the fuck one sucked, worse then the Neon 4 cyclinder headgasket shit bag, worse then a bag of smashed dicks. A 2L will fucking run till the end of time. My slam piece needed a car a few years ago and I could have had a 1.8faggotfuckturbodudebrospecial or a 2L for the same price and I went 2L. I didn’t feel the need to have endless check engine lights and other bullshit that comes with the 1.8faggotengine. Still has the 2L and it runs like a top. Big deal if it’s a bit slow, I’d rather a slow engine then a pseudo fast piece of shit 1.8shitbag that still sucks to the power of 4230896573487680934756803476803768903786037069873089. FUCK. THAT. MOTOR.

The 1.8t isn’t that bad. Mine had 192k when I sold it and I never had a single problem with it in the 4 years/60k I put on it.

Did the timing belt and changed the oil that’s it. Had it chipped too, ran like a top.

If you aren’t worried about mpg find a vr6, those run forever

Maybe a TDI if it’s in your budget.

Also nothing wrong with a 2.0 if all you care about is getting from point a to point b

^ wow. Very good advice. I’m sure the OP is glad you put your .02 in