School me on Jeep Wrangler Unlimiteds

Looking at 07 - 10ish Jeep Wrangler Unlimiteds (4 doors). After renting a Jeep in Roatan, I think it would be fun for the summer to have something I could take on the beach and rip the top/doors off. Plus I could throw a hard top on for the winter.
Looking at 3.8L with the MT6 preferred. Dual top would be nice.
Any service intervals that I should be aware of? Timing belt? Anything else.

Motivation:

Aren’t these the ones that start on fire all of the time?

I rented one in Hawaii and hated it…with a passion

I rode in a coworkers and found the ride just terrible.

anything this new is a true chrysler product, aka a POS in my opinion. i drive a patriot for work, what a pile.

real jeeps have 4.0 inline 6’s, nothing else :slight_smile:

I am aware that the drivetrain is out of the minivan and have been told to avoid the auto if at all possible.
As for ride quality, I have only ridden in an unlimited, but driven plenty of Jeeps and aware that I am not buying a grand tourer. But probably still worth another test drive.

I could ask some of the girls I know who drive them :lol:

Yup. My lifted XJ with the 4.0 was awesome when I had it.

Well played.
Avoiding bright colors is probably key for that. I also plan on staying away from dark green to avoid the want to be solider look.
Another reason for purchasing is the used car market is still strong so getting out of my daily and into something that will hold value better as the market turns around.

Its a off road 4x4. Of course the ride will suck. You don’t buy one for comfort
My old man has a '01 4.0 5-speed. Ride is harsh, gas mileage suck’s, underpowered, soft top is noisy as hell. I love cruising around in it. Fun to drive and awesome with the top off. Lockers, tires, small lift and go have fun.

Its a jeep, you either love them or hate them. I love them.

I would put the extra money up and try to find a pre-owned 12. New engine (pentastar) with 285 hp and better fuel economy, much nicer interior than 10 and previous, just a much better overall wrangler than what the generation you’re looking at. I bought mine brand new last July and have been pleased with it, if you look around enough you could get one in the low 20s used. Get about 18-20 mpg, taking the top down is always a blast, huge aftermarket part market, plus I got a set of 33s on mine without a lift.

Don’t disagree that the pentastar would be a big upgrade but I have not seen a 2012 below $25k. Most are $28k+.
Original budget was <$20k. Which I could bump up if I see the value, but over $25k seems a bit much for my use as a second car.

wow…so many people hating on chrysler yet again even though they dont have experience with them…

my friends dad has a 2 door with the 6 cyl and 6speed. black, tubular bumpers, winch, more aggressive tires, magnaflow exhaust. pretty cool truck and is 100% more comfortable and nicer than the older wranglers.

when we went to charlotte last weekend he took his jeep and averaged 18mpg for the trip.

edit, his is a 2011.

A friend just picked up a used 2 door and it’s kind of fun to play with for a weekend, anything longer then that I can see being miserable.

although we didn’t rent an unlimited while in roatan we did catch a ride in one with our realtor…i had previously driven a base model one for a few days for work and was unimpressed…although i found the ride much nicer and appealing on vacation… i think it was more the scenery than the vehicle.

just make sure you shake all the sand out of your shoes before you make a decision. OT- where on the island did you stay?

West End. Where were you looking at?
I have the air cooled recaros in the Cadillac for comfy driving. But based on all these comments I may need to test drive a couple more or at least make sure I stock up on some vagisil if the ride gets too rough.

All joking aside, I have wanted a Jeep for a while and have had a couple friends with 2 doors that I have enjoyed driving around.