School Shooting in CT

good post and i really like that last line.

Is it really that amazing, that some are concerned the government may cross over the line of “moderation”?

yeah, there’s a problem with that.

if you get the death penalty simply for using the gun to commit a crime, say, robbing a liquor store, you might as well kill every fucking person in there so that there are no witnesses.

that’s the reason they only use the death penalty for murder cases. they want it to be the most extreme punishment for the ultimate crime. if you’re gonna get the death penalty for robbing the store with a gun anyway, you might as well blow every person’s head off on the way out to increase your chances of getting away with it.

gonna steal a car at gunpoint? might as well kill the driver too!!

There are criminals that already have that mentality. Maybe if the punishment for getting caught was much higher, they might not consider it worth the risk. If stealing a candy bar warranted a slap on the wrist what do you think would happen if the consequence could be the loss of your life. Problem with this nut job was he decided to do the right thing when he was close to being caught / stopped. As much as I would’ve liked to torture the reason out if him for doing this, he solved the problem himself.

It’s funny a bunch of actors got together and have a PSA about gun control which I found hilarious.

The first season of American horror revolved around someone who did a school shooting and the show got nominated and won a bunch of awards - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1844624/awards

No, not at all, but I believe suggesting that reasonable enhanced gun regulation (not prohibition) would do nothing to stem gun violence is misinformed. It’s like thinking having a guard in schools would have stopped this mass shooting from happening. Facts/history don’t support that.

I think if we as gun owners/supporters of the second amendment can get on board with sensible regulation, there’s far more room for moderation than what we’ll get with anti gun people’s silly acts like banning weapons based primarily on cosmetic attributes.

Well then I agree with you on this. Seems we’re really on the same chapter if not page…we can admit regulations do almost nothing to deter people that don’t fear consequence. Most these whacko’s kill themselves in the end, so threatening life in jail or the death penalty won’t likely deter them. Are 50-100 round mags or Armalite 15 “Assault Rifle 15’s” to blame…of course not. Will putting a guard at 1 of many doors in a school guarantee no future massacres…of course not.

I’ll give up some current rights if it helps others sleep better at night, despite knowing it’s a false sense of security. I see no reason to have 50-100 round mags (not that they don’t already exist and can’t be magically summoned to destroy) so go ahead and ban them. I think every firearm possible should be registered, so no future FTF sales. I’m ok with that I guess, as long as people understand there are TONS of un-registered or illegal guns out there with no magical way to summon & destroy them. When buying any firearm it should be mandatory to declare you have a safe for proper keeping…not that everyone will abide or honor their word but fair enough.

So you can see, I’m not against giving up some ground. I’m just a realist when I say that NO AMOUNT of ground given will ever suffice to quench the thirst of the fearful. And I know that in life you give an inch and they take a mile. If you give up high cap mags they will then start to say ammo is too powerful and the load needs to be watered down etc… Where will it stop?

Imagine if you as a kid were afraid of the Boogey Man and your parents solution was to put a bear trap under your bed. Might that lengthen & heighten your fear of the Boogey Man? What long term implications might this armed guard at school strategy have? What will an armed guard do to the kids minds? Is this fair to the kids, to escalate & prolong their daily fears over a statistical outlier…a tragic statistical outlier?

America loves bandaid solutions and overlooks the root cause most often. Look, there is no bringing those murdered victims back and no magical pill for prevention going forward. Ill close with this, ignoring our national mental health issues and failing to address our lack of job/ low wage job problem are sure ways to increase volatility and chaos in our society. Do we want to fix the problem or do we want to put a bear trap out there and continue to fear each other & our shadows?

I was discussing weapons with someone earlier

https://youtu.be/xq0mpk3S3sY

This is something like 30+ shots fired in around 1min.

So figure 00 buck 9 pelets per shot etc.

:tif: on assault rifle arguments

This rifle was first issued in 1907. Bolt action, 10 shot, .303 … also accepts a 16" bayonet!!! standard british arm of WWI and WWII

One can be had for about $350… we should probably ban it

1. Good find!

Good read

https://youtu.be/sFMUeUErYVg

The years highlighted as having elevated crime at the 4:00 mark are not shocking to me. In a monetary society social strife logically becomes elevated during periods of economic woe, wealth disparity and general inequality. The less money is cycling through an economy the more people will view each other as combatants. Don’t take my word for it, look at the inner cities at the micro level and tell me otherwise. Where do most gun related crimes take place again? What pocket of society faces the greatest level of education & employment inequality? Instead of working together to oust politicians & their crony capitalism we choose to view others as an obstruction to our survival & quality of life. I still can’t believe some propose to solve the issue we must disarm our nation? Will that treat the root cause of all this emotional volatility?

Added—

What were the financial markets doing when we were last feeling good? What does the stock market look like when things aren’t going so well? Life isn’t ALL about money but when your quality of life & survival are tethered to a currency it will play a dominant role in the order of society. Where has all the QE been going? The money supply doubled but stock prices haven’t even come close to new highs yet.

While I can agree with the economic aspect, I can’t see it having an effect on the mass shootings, especially Newtown. He didn’t live in a ghetto and that looked like a pretty upscale home. Just sayin.

It was a broad point, not meant to be taken as granular. Widespread economic problems have a global impact on society. We live in this pressure cooker and the seal is giving way to the pressure IMO. If we were to go into space without certain protection the atmosphere would kill us, similarly we have a psychological atmosphere that is becoming unlivable for some. I wasn’t suggesting money was the motivation behind any specific massacre, sorry if it came across that way. What I’m suggesting is that our social climate plays a role in how we treat each other and how parents raise (or don’t raise) their children.

Oh, I understand, and in some part disagree. I’ve seen kids in well to do families be thoughtless, ungrateful, and immoral kids I’ve met with some from “lower income” families be thankful, respectful, intelligent, and level headed. Completely the products of their parents upbringing. Not saying this analogy to be true of all situations, but not generally a definitive indicator.

I specifically mentioned parenting (or lack thereof) as playing a role, so what part do we disagree on?

Your earlier statement relates “strife” with economic conditions and monetary inequality. You brought it up.

I assume economics relates to the majority of normal violence.

Trying to wrap some logic around mass shooting with crazy white people :tif:

I did bring it up and I stand behind my comment. But as I later said, it wasn’t meant to be a specific explanation for mass shootings. We’re on the same side here fighting for gun rights and you want to bicker over fucking tidbits? Seriously? LOL.