Seeking advice: Mom has a broken LCD tv *pics*

So, my mom has a Samsung 32" lcd tv, not under warranty, and the screen has TONS of vertical lines in the middle of the TV. See the attached images, they alternate from black to red, every second or so, and continue doing this the entire time the TV is on. The interesting part is that I don’t think it is the screen, since the colors are changing, and that it is not the entire row, it only goes to about an inch from the top and bottom, and then is normal again.

The cable plays fine (I just didn’t turn the cable box on for these pictures). The problem is these lines play over the picture, so watching TV becomes… the most annoying thing ever >.<;;

Any savvy people know what could be the cause of this, and if it is a fixable part?

Thanks guys, any advice would be appreciated.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2594/4214363122_97fc9c43bb.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2698/4213602571_dae7168aa0.jpg

–mark

where I used to work, we used to have trouble selling a full pallet of TV’s with problems just like this.

We would almost pay people to pick them up.

You are probably looking at a TV worth about $300 if it worked. Putting anything into it is not going to make sense. Unless someone on here knows of that exact problem being a common one and has an easy fix, but I would say that is doubtful.

Which is exactly why I am trying to find out what the exact problem is, so that I could maybe fix it. I can fix anything if I know what is wrong, but i can’t just open up the TV like a body and remove the TV cancer :stuck_out_tongue:

I assume it’s a bad ground, or a bad processor or something, but I don’t know much about TV’s. I could crack it open and look for a bad capacitor or something, like on old DSM PCMs, but I don’t want to make it worse, my mom still watches/listens to it when she works out in here.

Best bet would be to put the model number into google and so what problems the tv has. If alot of people had the same thing happen I’m sure there is a diy fix on the web.

this for sure.

Bad T-Con Board or LCD Panel would cause this,if that’s the case its not cheap.

Weird! I pressed the menu, and the menu partially covered up the lines. I then did the TV setup menu, and it made all of the lines go away. Now, there is a transparent menu over everything, but… it’s easier to watch. No more flashing, no more color changes, just a transparent menu.

Now, to see if I can change a setting in here to fix it :slight_smile:

try a different input maybe?

That was the first thing I did unfortunately. I tried a DVD player and it was the same problem. Somehow the menu must route the signal another way through the processor, hence the fix. TVs are complicated, heh.

one of the boards in the back is most likley shot i have delt with alot of tvs like this. you could try finding the same on on ebay with a broken screen and swap the internals