Serious Auto Transmission Issue (plz help ASAP)

I just got a 240 :), its auto, for now, but still a BLAST to drive. I love it to death.

Anyways, I was driving, feathering the throttle to gradually accelerate from a stop, and the rpms just kept rising, the transmission would NOT shift up. I even used the auto stick to shift, but it wouldn’t go into 2nd. I had to drive with my hazards on for a while. There was no slip, it just wouldn’t shift. This happened a few times before, but then it just caught onto the next gear. I didnt wanna go past 40 in first so I drove very slow for a while. Stopped at a red, put it in reverse, no problem. Then after a while, everything was perfect again. Shifting perfectly fine now…I KNOW this will happen again.

A friend of mine has a Volvo, he claimed he had the exact same problem, and had to top up his ATF. I dont have enough light in the parking, but I tried and can’t find the dipstick…(i know that sounds so noobish lol). I found a little yellow one near the exhaust manifold, but thats prob the engine oil, I didnt take it out fully.

Another thing, while driving home in the rain, the driver power window just stopped working. wtf?? It makes a click when you press the button, but nothing happens.

Few other problems while I’m at it (any info on any topic would be great, I’ll did some searches, but couldn’t find anything…I’ll search more tomorrow in class lol): Rear wiper not working, door lock key thing not working (only opens lock, thats it), hatch key jammed, passenger door key jammed.

Thanks for reading, hope I can get some insight.

the auto dipstick is behind the intake manifold. Its a bit hidden but its there.

Try and replace the auto tranny ECU… it controls the shift points. If the ATF was low it would probably try and shift but grind or something…

I THINK I have a spare one you can have for free and try and just plug it in. I’d have to find it.

PM me if you live in GTA.

And for your door lock problems. If you physically can’t unlock the door using the key; take off your door panels, and there are these metal cables running accross. More than likely they fell off where they should sit. I have the same problem, too lazy to fix it haha.

Common problem, unplug your Revolution sensor and you’ll be good to go .

http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerofile/13612/revsensorconnector.jpg

You can actually read more up on the problem here :

http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread?id=96505&page=2

I disconnected the Revolution Sensor, which was the 3 pin one apparently. The first time I started the car after disconnecting it, no O/D flash, then after a while the transmission went into failsafe mode and stayed in 3rd. Afterwards, I turned the car off for a good 5 mins, then restarted it, and the O/D light flashed.

Update:
I’ve put about 30 km’s on it today, its running absolutely wonderful (except for the 1-2k rpm hesitation, which isn’t tranny related, prob dirty MAF sensor, btw is it safe to use throttle body cleaner on the MAF element?).

Thanks very much guys, it really helps to have techies with ready solutions or links to articles with solutions to common problems people face.

You just saved me a buncha money and embarrassment from trying to convince my family and friends that an old 240 would be reliable. Thanks again. :smiley:

I think you"should use some sort of “electrical” spray cleaner, as recommend by some ( i asked this awhile back on another forum). As the maf sensor is pretty sensitive.

ok for your driver side window… the problem is in the auto up/down relay in the door. it is connected directly to the switch itself. if you squeeze the top and bottom of the box together in certain areas it will work. whats happening is the switches inside the box are not makin contact in either the up or down circuit. i made a fix by zip tying around the piece. see if that helps.