service engine light

does anyone know what place doesn’t charge to connect to the diagnostics tester? my service engine light is on and i don’t think there is anything wrong (might just be the gas cap not put on properly) so i don’t want to pay just for them to tell me there is nothing wrong.

wtf? who the hell charges for checking diagnostics? My local dealership never charged me for checking CEL. Try going to Nissan dealership.

Or you could reset the ECU yourself and see if the light comes back, if it does, you might have a problem.

Two ways to reset:

1. Unplug negative of battery and pump brakes to discharge capacitors, wait 5 minutes, reconnect.

2. Follow instructions here on the pdf. (last page of the PDF)
    http://motordyneengineering.com/manual.htm

$60 buddy, every where.

Everywhere I’ve been people charge to hook up their scanner.
That’s why I do it myself. It pays to have a Consult port :wink:

when you put the gas cap back on? how many clicks to you close it to…
when i first got the car i had the same problems as you but i’d only click it to once…started clicking it to 3 times and haven’t had a problem since ; / (yes i’m noob stfu!)

if you think its the gas cap, go out and open your gas door, take it off put it back on and click it like 6 times if you want.

you could have many o problems, o2 sensors knock i duno…try unplugging your neg terminal and pumping your brakes wait and plug it back in. if it comes back then you have a problem. it can be many o things. and depending on how hot you are you mite be able to get your car scanned at one of my friends shops he is a tool like that lol

ok i think i have a bigger problem than just my gas cap. driving home from work today the engine was making a weird sound and whenever i would come to a stop it would rumble a bit and the whole car would shake. when i got to my driveway i revved it while in park and it went back to normal. now i’m worried about my morning drive. :confused:

send me the name of this tool friend of yours lol

just go to canadian tire and get a generic consult. Then you can plug it and diagnose whenever you need to.

Generic Consult? Never heard of such a thing for post 95/96 vehicles. She will need an OBDII scanner. Nissan ditched the Consult protocol to maintain vehicle EFI troubleshooting standards in the mid 90s.

There’s an OBDII scanner for sale at Crappy Tire for $179.99. Wally-Mart one is probably a little cheaper.

As for your rumble while driving. Funny you say that. I was just reading on a 300ZX board that the same thing happened to him. He took it into Nissan and they told him one of the Injectors had died. It is not so common on the Pintle-less 350Z injector style but entirely possible. You may need more diagnostic than an OBDII port… unless the OBDII tester can do a Cylinder Balance Test, or you are willing to get under the hood and pull injector connectors one by one.

PS… When my car rumbled like that, an injector went out of spec. The last time was in Rabbits video at a CG underground meet a couple months back… Useless information

^you’re right. It’s the OBDII scanner. I was thinking Nissan Consult at the time…I have the consult 3.

a friend of mine told me it could just be the rear defogger that makes it rumble. is that possible? sounds sketch to me.

super sketch…

rough idle that corrects itself sfter a rev is often an EGR valve that is sticking

most mechanics will diagnose anything for free for a hot chick…
yes we are pigs…so indulge us and we’ll squeel and rut till our hearts stop pounding at the sight of a low cut shirt…and give massive discounts as a reward for your great taste in shirts!

eventually the car will get really bad on gas and occasionally smell of rotten eggs…it may die on you too…but only at lights and stop signs…

but it wont die if you put it in neutral just before you come to a stop…you may need to rev a bit so you idle at 1200 or so.

if your car is auto let off the gas just before dropping it back in drive…then go…or hold the gas and brake at the same time (to keep the rev’s up)

^^^ speak for yourself dude…hehehe

Business comes first.lol

LMAO so true! :R :smiley:

fine then…no titties for you!

oh no it’s already horrible on gas…doesn’t stink yet though! how much does an EGR valve cost, if that even is the problem.

^so is it just your idle thats really rough?
do you see your rpms drop below 400?

I wonder if your z was de-modded prior to you purchasing. It could even be your maf that is dirty.

GO FOR DIAGNOSTICS

THIS IS STARTING TO SOUND A LITTLE SKETCH / WONKY WEIRD

WHAT DEALERS ARE ANY GOOD???

^+1Nissan should not charge you to check the CEL…
If you are downtown, St.Clair nissan is pretty lax about such things. Just make sure you speak with Joe, hes one of the service managers there.