Shady McCoy

Pitt’s McCoy to return for junior season
Tuesday, November 25, 2008
By Paul Zeise, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Pitt sophomore tailback LeSean McCoy made it clear today that he will be a Pitt Panther next season. Speculation has been rampant that McCoy would declare himself eligible for the NFL draft after this season and people around the program and the coaching staff were bracing for his departure.

But McCoy said he wanted to set the record straight and end all of the speculation. In a media interview, he left very little room for interpretation.

McCoy said he doesn’t think he’s ready for the NFL life – meaning the business aspect of football – and he enjoys being a college student. He knows the Panthers will likely be a highly ranked team next year and would love to take a run at a Big East championship.

“Everyone keeps trying to push that idea, that this is my last game at Heinz Field. I’m not going anywhere,” McCoy said. "There is a lot of stuff I have to prove and the thing is, I don’t think I’ve done enouhg here at this university and there is a lot of stuff I have to achieve here.

"It is something I want to squash and get it over with and not have to talk about it because I am kind of getting a little fed up with it. When you look at the [NFL] them guys, that’s what they do, that is their job. When you play college football, you just come out to have fun and play ball but to those guys, it is their job.

“I feel I am not ready yet. Right now, I’m in school, I’m enjoying myself, I’m not pushing to go anywhere.”

That is the best news regarding PITT football that I have heard in a very long time.

Awesome…hope he stays healthy

Great attitude to have. he could go to the pros and get late first round money or stay a year…create his legend and become a top 5 pick. Larry was a great reciever but he only gave my team two years… to me thats not worthy of the high praise he still gets. if he plays a 3rd year and has a great season he’s a legend and that 04 BCS team is that much better. I think guys like tony D have a lot of influence on Lesean…Thank god for our sake. They are really high on freshman Chris Burns… he should be able to fill the Larod role until shady leaves… Things are looking up for PITT!

we need a quality quarterback, if you ask me. It seems that we always have a running game or a passing attack, never both together.

I think it’s a good choice for sure. A lot of guys declare for the NFL Draft and they are not ready. That extra year can prove to be invaluable.

X2…shady plus a decent passing game would be nice

He is a good back, but if he played for Penn State he would win the Heisman and rush for 2000 yards.

No way…I would say 3,000 yards…Penn State is sooooo great!

if he went to penn state he would have beat someone up in a bar by now.

thats why he went to Pitt, he is a pussy

the kid is very humble and easy to get along with. he’s a great athlete great teammate and a great friend. he will do very will in the nfl but he still has alot of maturing to do before then. I’m glad he decided to stay another year and enjoy being a kid for a lil while longer.

MCCOY with a buck 83 today!

amazing. I have no idea why they do not run that ball more. That last drive was all shady!

From the Stan and Guy show today, “shady” is now uncertain. he will probably change his mind 10 times over the next month. Hope he comes back for pitts sake.

dumb

lets see, stay and play college ball that noone cares about or move up to the nfl and make a ton of cash. He doesn’t seem to be making the right decision.

Even if he plays for a few years and quits, he still can go back and finish up the college degree - not that he is going to school for academics or anything - but you get my point. :smiley:

Take the money and fame when you are wanted and still healthy. It would suck for him to play next year and break his leg or something and never make it to the nfl.

yeah every sports guy in this city is calling the kid stupid for not goin pro. they should be ashamed of themselves. Maybe he wants to be rembered in the same regard as dorsett and marino instead of larry fitz and curtis martin. Willis mcgahee took out and insurance policy for a few mill before the fiesta bowl with ohio state. he ended up getting injured but came back to be drafted in the first round (23rd pick). Matt Lienart also took out an insurance policy before his senior year… There are ways to protect urself. McCoy is a first rounder right now but mid and late 1st round money is a lot different than top 10. He could end up in the top 5 picks if he has any type of year like his 1st 2. Telling him to go pro now is not the best advice like these guys would have you believe. From a marketing standpoint he has a lot to gain by adding a heisman or a higher 1st round pick to his resume’. If McCoy wins the heisman he’ll get the royal treatment the rest of his life in this town and in any circles of college football. If McCoy wins the heisman he will be on the cover of NCAA football 11’.

I think it was the best decision that McCoy could have made.

I am so tired of this trend of college football players coming out after two years like college basketball has done. I absolutely understand the arguments for leaving due to health concerns and the ability to make money. I think that its a hard argument to decide against which is way we are all a bit shocked the he is going to stay.I t shows class, character and commitment to a program for an athlete to stay at his college and build his legacy there as long as he can. It shows that its not all about him and his ability to make money.

tony dorsett had a shiny new green monte carlo when he was at pitt, by the time he graduated he accumulated 286 parking tickets… he did what ever he wanted because he was tony D… not saying lesean is gonna take advantage of that but he can definetly make himself a name that will never be forgotten. If he does his thing the honors will shower him. dapper dan, heisman, walker, maxwell, all american, big east player of the year… all that = $$$$$$$$$$

noone is going to remember him unless he makes it bigtime in the pros. He could stay at pitt for 8 years to show commitment, suck when he gets to the nfl, and be forgotten like everyone else. It doesn’t matter is he stays or goes, he needs to be a standout in the nfl to be remembered.