Shelby GT500 > LS1 GTO

I was crusing down I-158 in North Carolina with a friend on the way to get a bite to eat/hit up a hotrod store, we noticed what appeared to be a new GT500 in the sideview mirror a few lengths back. We slowed down about 10mph in the driving lane to get a glimpse at the beast. We matched speeds and the conversation went as follows

me: hey man, nice car… is that a gt500 or one of those new shelby gt’s?

him: It’s a GT500

me: no shit, very nice car man… didn’t know they made verts. Pretty fast?

him: yeah, she moves pretty good

The conversation continues as we slow down to a red light. He unfortunitly had a car in front of him, while I was the first to go in my lane. We exchanged compliments on our cars and I asked him to show me what it had.

I slowly roll out of the hole so to give the mustang owner room to get infront of me, all the while I’m flagging him on with my arm.

He gets on it and merges in front of me… I follow suite and downshift to second (at approx 25mph roll) breaking the tires loose and slowing his pull on me. I actually kept up pretty good all things considered until I missed 4th gear (when he started putting bus lengths on me).

we caught back up with each other shortly after and exchanged compliments (the usual) and went on our way.

damn that car sounded sexy :spunk: me want one

Those things are so heavy yet have so much potential.

Stevo, are you stock? BTW I think its funny how there is a rather large contingency of former SHO owners who now own GTOs :lol:

i’d love to run into one of these :slight_smile:

[quote=“Dr.Stevil”"]

me: hey man, nice car… is that a gt500 or one of those new shelby gt’s?

him: It’s a GT500

[/quote]

FYI: It is a Shelby Cobra GT500…

or a Ford GT supercar

or a Ford Mustang GT

[quote=“rj-92,post:3,topic:31764"”]

Stevo, are you stock? BTW I think its funny how there is a rather large contingency of former SHO owners who now own GTOs :lol:

[/quote]

lol yeah, I’m pretty much bone stock minus some exhaust work

jack, there are the Shelby gt500’s and the Shelby mustang gt’s (shelby appearance package with the stock 300hp gt motor)

edit: actually, after some reading… they have some exhaust work done from the factory along with some other odds and ends

i read in Mustangs and fast fords mag. that those Shelbys really arent that fast. they said the fastest 1/4 time they had was a 13.1 which seems real slow for a 500hp car.

500hp and 4000+ lbs of girth to move

i need to find a gt500 to play with

there is a white and red around here!

I saw a bone stock gt500 run low 12s at the track with the stock tires.

hmm… yea I ran into 1 and he didn’t pull as much as I expected.

[quote=“bladez,post:4,topic:31764"”]

i’d love to run into one of these :slight_smile:

[/quote]

Of course you would. :wink:

X…

[quote=“slasky,post:11,topic:31764"”]

I saw a bone stock gt500 run low 12s at the track with the stock tires.

[/quote]

oh really?

I ran into a red one and the guy wouldn’t race me :frowning:

I’ve only heard low 13’s out of them.

[quote=“Dr.Stevil,post:6,topic:31764"”]

lol yeah, I’m pretty much bone stock minus some exhaust work

jack, there are the Shelby gt500’s and the Shelby mustang gt’s (shelby appearance package with the stock 300hp gt motor)

[/quote]

Shelby GT:

Shelby GT500:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fe/GT500_quarter.jpg

When you pull up next to one you can tell the differance( between GT500 & Shelby GT), Either way both are heavy. Ford needs to do step up the performance factor other than sticking an old timers name on thier ride to try to up sales.

[quote=“Dr. Stevil”"]

didn’t know they made verts.

[/quote]

Heavy vert:

[quote=“Shifty,post:15,topic:31764"”]

Ford needs to do step up the performance factor other than sticking an old timers name on thier ride to try to up sales.

[/quote]

You’re right, even after they’ve been out for over a year… you still can’t get them USED anywhere near MSRP.

Ford is dropping the ball again :uhh:

I do agree though, with that much power, it should be a more well rounded car especially in the handling department. Thats my biggest pet peeve with the NSX aswell… awesome looking car that handles like it’s on rails, but can’t get out of it’s own way :tdown:

i think i saw 1 in NYIRP last friday
it was running 12.5 on the run that I watched

I think they do 11.8@118 stock