Sheridan Collage.

amen bing. best thing anyone could ever do for themselves.[/quote]

I vote no on that one, this is a person by person best_choice.

I went to Mohawk College and took the Millwright program. Within 3 years of finishing high school I had a full time career and all before my 20th birthday. Not to mention all the co-op I did (we trades people call it apprenticing), I got paid. Sure it was only 10 bucks an hour but that is pretty good for a 17-19 year old while I payed less then $2000 for all of my post secondary education including parking passes and text books.

Then when I finished my schooling a company called up the college looking for someone and they gave them my name, 2 days later I was making $21.50/hour. That was 6 years ago, now I am 26, have owned a house since I was 22 and have 3 cars.

Now I am teaching the coarse (at night school) that I took almost 10 years ago and if everything falls into place I will be making over $70 in 10 years with 5 months of paid vacation a year!!!

Put that in your college_is_for_dummies pipe and smoke it.

amen bing. best thing anyone could ever do for themselves.[/quote]

I vote no on that one, this is a person by person best_choice.

I went to Mohawk College and took the Millwright program. Within 3 years of finishing high school I had a full time career and all before my 20th birthday. Not to mention all the co-op I did (we trades people call it apprenticing), I got paid. Sure it was only 10 bucks an hour but that is pretty good for a 17-19 year old while I payed less then $2000 for all of my post secondary education including parking passes and text books.

Then when I finished my schooling a company called up the college looking for someone and they gave them my name, 2 days later I was making $21.50/hour. That was 6 years ago, now I am 26, have owned a house since I was 22 and have 3 cars.

Now I am teaching the coarse (at night school) that I took almost 10 years ago and if everything falls into place I will be making over $70 in 10 years with 5 months of paid vacation a year!!!

Put that in your college_is_for_dummies pipe and smoke it.[/quote]

haha, well said Theo!

locked? lol good luck with that.

i have impersonators?

amazing.

GT

unlocking sorry…

yup, i was waiting for theo to chime in…lol

trades are a different story for sure, anyone in anytype of trade is bound to do well for themselves no questions asked.

and yes, sheridan is sick for animation and a couple other design programs as well.

however, there were a couple people here and others that i know that are taking things in college like business admin and other commerce stuff. i know of alot of other people not on this site that are as well.

after you get out of college you can walk into 3rd year at most universities to complete a degree, which is prolly a good thing. i’ve lived with dudes who have HBA’s or double majors in marketing and sciences and they had good jobs but it almost wasnt enough.

there was this girl who went ot niagara college and told me i was wasting my time at university because she was going to get just as good a job as i could get after 2 years and paid less for it

but now that i have graduated (honours bachelor of commerce), not only do i have a better job, albiet with family, but i also am eligible for alot of post-graduate programs that she is not and that alot of people will not be eligible for coming out of college.

this saturday i start my CMA program at mcmaster and at any time in the next couple years i will likely begin a masters as well.

if you think universtiy is expensive, try and do a executive masters through distance ed. try $30,000 for a 2 year program…lol

and it still doesnt gaurantee you a good job really.

but a job is not the only reason you go to school, it certianly isnt for me anyways.

if i have the ability and freedom to do so i would always be in school and just keep going on going until there was literally nothing else to learn…lol

not because i think it will increase my employability, even though it will, but just because i love getting smarter and smarter and smarter.

anyways…yes it was shortsited of my to tell people to go to university because it is not true in all cases, especially theo, but for some programs (not trades) really think you come out of college without enough education to out you where you want to be

i should also hope that no one aspires only to get a decent job and then just ride it out got another 40 years.

ooo wait that wasnt supposed to be locked neways… my bad

GT

anyone at seneca newnham?

I just quit my job making $20/hour (30g’s a year) working for the city of st.catharines to go to brock. I’m sure I made the right choice, but I’m going to miss the money for the next 4 years.

what are you taking at brock?

if you are taking accounting or another program that brock is known for then yeah you are making a good choice.

if you are going to sports management or more social courses then probably not.

$20/hr adds up to $30K/year? You must be getting raped on taxes then.

Taxes suck ass…I’m losing almost $7K/year just in taxes :run:

I knew you weren’t closed minded like that Bing. :wink:

As for the government…

Me----> :tear::whip: <----government

Those Bastards took 12G’s from me last year.

Collage eh?

I go to Humber College, at the end of it i get a piece of paper that worth about 3 times as much as what i put into it.

Can’t wait till i’m done.

Like Theo said, College and University are two different things - it depends what you plan to do.

If you want to be a Master Mechanic, have fun wasting your time in University.

PS - I also hate taxes.

Looking at my latest paystub from this friday: (note I started in February so this is minus 1 month + a bit too!)

Tax / This Check / Yearly Total
CPP / 92.52 / 1636.02
EI / 39.86 / 695.68
Income Tax / 387.47 / 7579.09
TOTALS / 519.85 / 9910.79

THAT, is a piss off. That’s freaking about 8 months, or 2/3, or only 66.6% of this year. GOD DAMN I never really looked at this before - I’m pissed off :frowning: :frowning: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: (I could click that evil emoticon all day and it wouldnt be enough).

Theo put it welll…

//edit// I’m even more pissed off now. Thats like my entire motor swap this winter stolen by the government. Even leaves room for a new stereo or something haha SLUT :frowning:

I’ve been thinking lately that I might want to learn an automotive-related trade, like welding, fabrication, repair etc… Any suggestions of a trade that would A) be fun and not become repetitive quickly, B) bring in good money (ie $50-60k/year), and C) have a good job market, fairly easy to find a job, do temporary work etc…?

Well, I think it was you who said earlier in the thread you were in to design? If you’ve got good taste, there is always a market for you in the automotive industry.

Automotive Photography could be interesting.
Automotive Painting/Airbrushing
Automotive Design/Fabrication

i dunno, the list goes on :slight_smile:

Sorry to bring this up again…

I have become fed up wiht marketing and im destined not to be behind a desk. I am really intrested in Tool and Die, or a millwrite.

The place im really intrested in is the ford center for manufacturing excilince(sp) at st.clair in windsor. Anyways its a 2 year program and then an optional third year of apprentiship.

Does anyone know anything about this school???

Any other recomendations for a good school for these programs.

I just saw this thread up, and figured it’d be a good opportunity to ask and see if anyone knows a good place to take welding courses. I signed up for a Machine Shop Practices course at Rye, but it doesn’t cover welding… I was told that I should look at a college.

The way I see the U vs. C debate, I can take a couple of night courses and have all the knoweldge you would get from college about hands on stuff (machining, welding, etc…), but you’d have to actually GO to university to catch up to me. You can know how to weld someone’s chassis, but I’ll UNDERSTAND why it’s made that way, and how to make it better. Throw in some welding skills, and that totally blows you out of the water. You think that university is just some useless theory BS? Think again, the amount of insight I get from my courses is insane. Ask some other people in engineering if you don’t believe me. Maybe 1st and 2nd year are a bunch of math & physics bs that “don’t matter”, but in 3rd and 4th you get some SERIOUS knowledge, and you need that math & physics bs from first and second to be able to understand it.

Do I think that someone w/out an engineering degree can’t build a nice car? No, they can. But someone with one, will build a BETTER car. And you can bet good money on it too.

1. oakville is the worst place to live in teh world
  2. i got to community college because my dad is going to be rich soon
  3. you will all want to work for me in a few years.