shift518's "ask a dealership service writer anything" thread

Ever wonder anything about a service writer/service manager at a dealerships service dept. ask away and i will try to answer them for you and give you the answers on not allowed to say at work, haha

My pay as a service advisor depends on a couple things as well as a couple notes

• my customer surveys that they recieve… if i dont get all excellent on surveys, they deduct my pay
  • if i dont average 2.2 hour per repair order i get pay deducted…keep in mind an oil change is .3 of an hour
  • if my effective labor rate is too low i get deducted…elr is pretty much how much the money that stays in the dealership as profit and not paid out to us techs and writers
  • i get paid for recalls, bring them on! thank you toyota for having so many
  • yes i work at toyota, not because i like them but because i am a realistic thinker/planner and strategic… i work in service not sales
  • i hate prius drivers, but i will gladly take their money
    -i usually flip their obama magnets over when i see them
    -sequoia/tundra, and some 4runner/highlander, avalon owners are usually pretty damn cool

Do you guys get a ration of shit for writing up warranty jobs that the customer doesn’t specifically complain about. Even when it’s something that is readily apparent on the multipoint inspection? Just currious, because it’s something that annoys me about my job.

We get paid on whatever hours are produced and billed out either customer pay, warranty/recall, or extended warranty. Sometimes the time that warranty and ext warranty pays for certain jobs suck ass, but if there is nothing else going on, those hours are way better than nothing.

Alot of times recalls and some warranty stuff actually pays really well and i would rather make hours off that instead of smaller customer pay stuff that actually takes more time than it is worth.

-take for example
prius gas pedal modification , pays 1 hour but only takes my tech 15 minutes to do- i make 6 dollars
prius oil change, pays .3 of an hour, takes my tech 45 minutes to do - i make $2.50 - that sucks! gtfo out of the service dept. if you just want a quick oil change

Atleast you guys make out on some of the warranty stuff then. As a tech I lose my ass on oil changes. Same deal only pays .3 but it takes .5 or better. GM warranty time sucks in general and the guy that submits the stuff at the dealership I work at fails at life so as a result the techs get raped.

i’d get pissed if i was you dj LOL!

this is fun!

so DJ, do you think getting my coolant flushed at 30k miles is needed? lol
do i really need new spark plugs right now too?
do i need to change my man. transmission fluid now too?

my service writers always tell me yes, are they lying?

Fuck that flat rate shit.

Denooyer Dodge used to be the worst for adding on shit. My parents had a Crapavan and Denooyer was always scamming work off my dad because he always fell for their line of shit.

I used to install GM accessories for a ADI and we used to rape the hell out of the dealership for installs. We charged an hour of labor to install a bed liner, I think like 1.5 for a set of assist steps (that could be done with hand tools in .5) ect. We also were charging $99/hr. Was insane

1. yes- because i my self will get $10 bucks in my pay check
  2. yes- because i just made $10 in my pay check, sometimes $15 or $20 if its the right vehicle.
    3- maybe- it only makes me about $3 bucks in my paycheck
    :vlad

Why are you all so snobby about being wrong about everything on my car?

I sell work to democratic prius drivers, most of them have their heads so far up their own asses they cant hear me talk anyway.

And all those fucking tree huggers like to drive extra slow in their Prius and get in my fucking way. Id love to run every one of those fucking things off the road.

Best thread in a while!!

:rofl

The more liberal they are,the more you get charged too, thanks for playing. Please refrain from asking me if i drive a prius and what my gas mileage is. I have not driven a prius for more than around the parking lot.

Have you seriously had some arrogant snob come in and call you out for not driving something equal or better MPG wise than their Prius?

if so I would have a fact sheet right next to me for why the Prius is an absolute pile of shit.

why isnt the rear locker/traction control in my FJ covered under the 60k drivetrain warranty?

Why are first gen Tacomas with 100kmi still $12K.

Why do 4 cyl. obd2 toyotas have 50 fucking o2 / AFR sensors?

I try to contain myself, but sometimes its hard not to tell people that their lil shit box econo car that just building their car did more environmental damage just building it then a hummer does its whole lifetime.