Toyota Dealer Service Dept Rip-Off

I know it is no surprise that a dealer would charge a lot but I think this is just taking advantage of someone. The backstory is that my friend’s fiance’s sister brought her car to the dealer for an oil change. She knows nothing about cars and is a very quiet non-confrontational person. Here is what they did for her with car info:

2002 Toyota Camery with 27,000 miles (mostly highway) -
*25 point inspection $ -

• grease and lube steering shaft $ -
  • 7500 mile/6 month service (check engine settings, inspect filters, lube oil filters/rorate and balance tires, service brakes, add oil and gas additives) $ 169.95
  • replace front brake pads and resurface rotors $ 389.95
  • e.f.i. fuel injection service $ 295.95
  • tune up service (replace air filter and pcv, clean spark plugs) $ 169.95
  • power steering system service and flush $ 179.95
  • flush and bleed brake fluid system $ 159.95
    Sub-Total $ 1,365.70
    Sub-Total w/discount $ 1,092.56
    Total with Tax $ 1,179.96

So an oil change ended up costing her $1200. The car only has 27,000 miles on it and it was babied since new. Why would it need anything on the list of things done?

wow, she likes getting boned, can I get her digits?

just kidding. that is a shitty deal tho.

She got F’D without even a reach around…

what paperwork did she sign? If it was only authorizing a Oil-Change, then they can’t charge her unless she accepted them doing the other work.

Shitty that they took advantage of her.

Shitty that she let them take advantage of her.

Not sure who’s more guilty?

dude I thought Toyotas were cheaper to maintain then domestics? hahah sucks

i like how the tune up service includes “clean” sparkplugs…they can’t just put new ones in? lol and yea, she got boned :frowning:

It’s like she dropped the soap in the shower of a prison, with everyone in the building watching her.

OUCH.

that is fucking insane

i would call out the service manager asap. thats bad business right there/

[quote=“Locutus,post:9,topic:33818"”]

i would call out the service manager asap. thats bad business right there/

[/quote]

+1

But the service manager is probably the one who is pushing the service reps to “sell sell sell”. Probably better of sending a letter to the owner of the dealership.

1-800-al-vaughters.

Which Toyota dealership out of curiousity?

Fuckcillo tried doing something similar to me. I laughed at them and asked where my keys were.

Yeah I worked at a Toyota dealer and they constantly pushed us to sell EFI cleaning and A/C filters plus all the other garbage you listed. Every monday our service manager would stop out to my toolbox and ask why I was last AGAIN in the shop for amount of those services sold. My reply would be “Why am I #1 again with hours even though I didn’t sell those services? ohh thats right I do actual work where all the other guys are gravy techs”. It sucks that your friend got boned. If you ask me its a dishonest tech or a really pushy manager. I always refused to sell that shit unless the car came in with a sticking gas pedal because of the amount of carbon in the TB. Then I’d sell it, clean the TB out and put the bottle of shit in the gas tank.

nice. i’d totally take advantage of girls if i owned a dealership too.

Your GF is an idiot. If i went to Wegmans to buy something i didn’t know about… sayyyy tampons, there is no way that even the best salesman in the world could talk me in to buying an applicator, disposal pack, insertion lube, carrying case or the toxic shock service protection plan. At least not until i talked to a female or effeminate male who knew what was up…

the girl is dumb, they probably mentioned it to her and she agreed.

[quote=“layzie,post:15,topic:33818"”]

the girl is dumb, they probably mentioned it to her and she agreed.

[/quote]

True but, they probably just casually mentioned that they would do all of the service required neglecting to mention it would cost over $1000.
Dealers suck.

[quote=“AWDrifter,post:16,topic:33818"”]

True but, they probably just casually mentioned that they would do all of the service required neglecting to mention it would cost over $1000.
Dealers suck.

[/quote]

still her fault.

we recommend buying a lexus SUV as part of the 30,000 mile maintenance… OK!

[quote=“newman,post:17,topic:33818"”]

still her fault.

we recommend buying a lexus SUV as part of the 30,000 mile maintenance… OK!

[/quote]

I know, that is why I started by saying “True”.
Things were just easier when you could actually trust people.
Back when I was a kid…

Ouch.

That sucks.

[quote=“newman,post:14,topic:33818"”]

nice. i’d totally take advantage of girls if i owned a dealership too.

Your GF is an idiot. If i went to Wegmans to buy something i didn’t know about… sayyyy tampons, there is no way that even the best salesman in the world could talk me in to buying an applicator, disposal pack, insertion lube, carrying case or the toxic shock service protection plan. At least not until i talked to a female or effeminate male who knew what was up…

[/quote]

First off she is NOT my girlfriend nor my friends fiance. Secondly I agree with you that it is her fault and she should have consulted someone with more knowledge on the subject before agreeing. I was just shocked to the extent in which the dealer was willing to take advantage of her. In some respects it is like a doctor telling a patient they need a surgery they don’t really need. How often is a patient going to tell a doctor no? I know it is not quite to that extent but is similar in some ways. Again she is NOT my girlfriend.