Shifting Problem in my 4-Banger...

Yes I drive a Kia… lets get that out of the way… :lol:… lol. Ok… It’s a 2003 and has 51,000+ miles on it. Starting on Monday it has been giving me a crappy time getting into 1st gear. I’m not trying to get into 1st while moving or anything… just from a stand still. To get it into 1st I have to force it into gear (trust me I know I shouldn’t be doing that) and it’s quite hard to do so. Basically I have been starting off in 2nd gear because it is much easier to get into and it doesn’t bog down much when pulling away in 2nd. Sometimes if I inch up in second a little bit I can easily slip it into 1st.

I still have the full effect of the Kia warrenty… 10yr 100,000 mile limited powertrain and 5 year 60,000 mile limited . I’m sure not many people here would know what exactly the warrenty covers but I was just curious if anyone thinks that it may or may not be covered based on your own experiences on what this may be. I have an appointment to take it into the dealership on Monday to check it out so hopefully they screw me on the warrenty…

Limited Powertrain 10 years or 100,000 miles
Limited Basic 5 years or 60,000 miles
Limited Anti-Perforation 5 years or 100,000 miles
Roadside Assistance 5 years / unlimited miles

What do all of you car buffs think will end up happening? Any positive input would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: I know just about nothing about cars so please try to keep it simple for me… ;).

Could be a chance it is the clutch being out of adjustment…

Not positive, but it could be something like that.

hmm every once in a while my car never wants to go into first i just shift into second then first and it goes.
(at a stand still) and (i drive a slow ass vw jetta with 110k on it)

Well… I’m basically hoping that it is covered under my warrenty… whatever it is.

i would count on a warranty it said “limited” I mean when officerk’s clutch went on his wrx with 12000 miles on it, which is obviously a factory defect, since i know he broke it in for 3k miles. well subaru told him to go fuck himself. Im not sure about kia. good luck though

Ya, about 2 years ago or so I had to have the car towd to the dealership because the shifter was stuck in 4th gear and it was dead. It was covered under warrenty and they ended putting a new Transmission in I believe… I honestly don’t remember at this point. I just this falls in the same spot… otherwise I might be screwed.

clutch cable stretched… not fully disengaging clutch when you press on the pedal.

There should be a takeup adjustment in the pedal assembly… look for a ratcheting mechanism or some other shit

:jawdrop: I think you lost me… lol. If I let off the clutch in first gear before hitting the gas I’ll stall. Unless you mean while driving in the other gears than ya I see what you mean. So you think something around the pedal might be able to be tightened up to make it register like it should?

What part dont you understand. The car will not go into 1st gear or in will be very difficult if there is load on the transmission input shaft.It doesnt have to be rotating. Your clutch disengages the motor from the tranny input shaft. To FULLY disengage the clutch and take any load off the input shaft the clutch pedal has to be pushed in all the way. If the cable is longer then it should be then its impossible to fully disengage the clutch even if you put the pedal at its max travel. Try shifting into first on a car that works while slightly slipping the clutch. The car doest have to move. Slip it a bit. Getting into 1st will be a motherfucker. You understand now?

while you are coming to a stop … before you stop… put it in 1st… and try to rev a little bit on your way into 1st from second.

Ok first off I told you I know shit about cars… so yes I didn’t quite understand you so… :cjerk: . I guess I’ll try to figure out where to look to tighten this cable…

I’ll try that on my way to work today. I was also told by someone to check my fluids… you think that could cause this too? Maybe my tranny fluid or something?

you cant check the fluid on manual trannies

oh… lol… there goes what I was going to try to do this morning… lol

For crying out loud, just take it to the dealership under warranty. The car not shifting properly after 51,000 miles is a failure of part of the powertrain due to a defect in materials or workmanship. Remember that and insist on it. If you don’t know what you’re doing and you have a warranty DON’T TOUCH IT!

It could be a worn synchro, stretched clutch cable (assuming it’s not hydraulic) low clutch fluid if it is hydraulic, or any number of other things. Just take it to the dealership and be prepared to fight because dealers don’t usually honor warranty’s unless you stand firm and bitch your way up the corporate ladder if necessary.

Ya, that’s what I planned on doing… have an appointment on Monday.

also if they already replaced the tranny… that part will have a warranty of its own…

its either what everyone else is saying or there is a bad syncrho in first gear. take it to the dealer, its covered so dont bother trying to mess with it yourself, if you cause i bigger prolblem they wont cover it becuase YOU messed with it.

Ya, I didn’t plan on touching it. I know very little about cars. I was just trying to get some ideas so at least I now what it may possibly be. It’s going in on Monday before work… mmm… no car to drive after I take it in… gotta love that.

how is the weather up there…

maybe cus its getting cold :gotme:

If you want, you can bring it over to my Aamco at 1701 union rd in west seneca. We will be happy to take a look at it for no charge.