Short Throw Shifter Problem

Okay installed my shifter no problem there now when i go to drive it it pops out of 1st and is next to impossible to get into reverse and sometimes pops out of that too. Oh and on the highway going into fifth is GRIND GRIND KLUNK finally gets in. I was just wondering if this is a normal problem because is it a new shifter with brand new Nissan bushings that it just might have tto be worked in. Like its terribly stiff moving it from Left - Right in Neutral.

Thanks any info will be great.

i had the same type of problem too but i never even change my shifter!!! this once i was just on the high way and it won’t go into 5th just like you soo i just had to drive slow on 4th but then after i stop and park my car and try it again and then it worked fun ever since!!! i had the same problem on my 1st and 2nd and revers too!!! but then i jsut go mad :evil: and just sat in the car(not moving) and keep shifting in from 1st to 2nd and back to 1st while holding the clutch down and i jsut keep doing that until it feels like it won’t do that thing again and it is working fine ever since!!!(oh yeah and i did the same with my 5th also) but my revers is still like that soo i just have to keep in revers and hold it there with force and let go of the clutch slowly til i hear or feel a “click” like my gear is lock in place and then i will start revering but try not to revers too fast because when i do that just will just pop back out again so i just revers slowly!!! i hope that this can help you a little!!!

Well i put 100km on the shifter of agressive driving it goes into 1st through 4th fine but into 5th it pops out and dont even get me started on reverse.
I love this shifter soooo much but reverse is a bitch.
Andrew have you had this problem?

yeah my reverse was like really bad before!!! it won’t even grind when i put it in then try to reverse just nothing happend soo i just leave it alone and try not to use it for a little while and the problem is gone… it’s still hard to use reverse but it’s better then when i had to tell my friend to push my car backwards for a week or soo!!!

Theres a trick i found on all standard cars to getting it into reverse.

You put it into reverse like as far as it will let you, slowly release the clutch just a bit and the syncors will move and ittl pop right in. The reason being that the reverse gears and the nice pretty wavy gears (sorry dont know the tech term for them) but the revese gears are just standard straight gears thats why it sounds funny when reversing.

What kinda shifter is this? OBX?

I have like a total opposite problem with my 5th. I dunno if it’s normal
or what, but sometimes, when the shifter is in 5th, trying to pull it out
takes a bit more of an effort then other gears. Almost seems like it’s
stuck or something.

As for reverse, since my Mustang days, I learned that putting it in 1st
and then reverse will pop it in (clutch still presse in doing this)

Ya the 1st to reverse thing works too.

Oh i think its a common problem with our tranny’s grabbing and holding it in 5th gear. I had that problem too with my stock shifter but with this OBX shifter it seems to pop out.

Damn thing when i was making a left going to work today it poped out of 1st and almost hit a guy because i was cutting it close but i knew i could make and KLUNK WAAAAA SWERVE!!! PHEW

:twisted: man i have had the same problem with 5th… where it’s hard to get it out and sometimes it will be hard to put it in too!!! and all those hard to put in problems with 1st 2nd and revers!!! And the thing is that my shifter is all stock… well at least that’s what i think because i never change it and it’s kind of long like most stock cars!!!

Other gears I got no problem with; just 5th is a bitch to pop out sometimes.

Well seeing Adam and his OBX issues, I’m gonna stay away from that
shifter for a while. Rather save up for a B&M or something later. :slight_smile:

sounds to me like ur synchros are going…

mine shift perfect, so did my last, minus the odd problem getting it into third after i had a misshifting incident :confused:

All short shifters are the same the only difference Gonad is structual integraity. (SP?)
I bought the OBX because its strong and cheap.
Looking at the B&M its a direct copy for half the price.

The problem layes within the design because the pivot point is at a higher position the shifter doesnt go all the way to the left and/or to the right. Hence the problem into 1st and 5th and reverce.

Oh and my syncros are all rebuilt when i put in my new engine.

This is the basic principal behind a short throw shifter as i tried to explane above.

http://www.bmracing.com/products/shiftThrow.gif

The principal stays the same between the shifters just that the B&M is more colorful. :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh and $140 from Andrew is an awesome deal.
The MSRP is $189.00US.

ur shifter CANT be in right dude… take it all out, put it all back in, make sure its in right, then try the car again, prob just some silly mistake, but why would you have this problem but no one else? logic says it has to be a simple installation mistake, or manufacturing defect, so naturally a little mistake is more possible than a defect, so thats what i’d go for first. Good luck man.

UNLESS, SOHC trannys dont respond well to these shifters? hm… possible? do we know anyone with a SOHC with this shifter? check that out too man… good luck

The SOHC Tranny’s and the DOHC Tranny’s are the same.

I tried every single possible way of putting this damn shiffter in and it only works one way. Im hurting my tranny with this shifter because when it pops outta gear it like KLUNKS outta gear shaking the whole car.

ask farmer, he was having the same problem, but it was because he installed it wrong… i forget what he did wrong…

Problem solved and Fixed.

It was due to a miss placement of the spacer.

A proper How-To installation will be coming shortly in the How-To section
And hopefully you all buying the shifter now will not make the same silly mistake i did.