Something wrong with my shifter..*video*

I bought a megan short shifter from someone here …i got all the peices and everything…the shop installed it when they put my 5 speed in …but theres a wierd problem with it …it moves up and down like crazy and when you rev the car it bounces up and down and makes alot of noise…

so today i decided to take it apart to see if i could find whats going on …its like theres something missing but i dunno what it is ive looked at how to guides and i got all the peices…

so i took a video to show what i am talking about here…

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/GTChampion/?action=view&current=MOV02029.flv

i put my fingers on the plate instead of bolting it down so i could take it out to show all the peices are there…even bolted down it still goes up and down like that and jsut feels reallt lose inside…the ring came out with the plate peice thats why you dont see it in the video…

another thing i noticed was the bushing on the end has chips out of it …and it was bran new last week…

anyone know whats wrong ?

I can’t help you but if the lil shifter bushing is chipped, I’d suggest getting a Cusco solid metal shifter bushing.

from what i see in the video, it looks like the bushing is broken. When i did my shifter from what i can the bushing was cup shaped with a split in the middle but not all the way down. Looks like your bushing is missing the bottom part so it can move up and down.

Your bushing is clearly broken.

HA SUCKER

same thing JUST happend to me last week

my car wont even shift now cause the plastic peices broke and fell down into where the joint is so it wont let it move

only way i can fix it now is going short shifter…now on order.

but yours is acting EXACTLY the same way as mine…very playful…able to move around

Its just wierd that the bushing is broken…it was bran new a week from the 5 speed swap it was like this when i got my car back i dont know maybe the shop put it in wrong or something…\

i ordered a new one from nissan today hopefully i get it on right and it fixes the problem tomaorw

like i said. the shop probably didnt know how to put the bushiing on.

Heck they didnt even know to adjust ur pedal for ur clutch. I dont like this place u went to they dont seam very smart

Thats what happens in Noobmarket.

did you use the bushing the shifter came with?? If so, thats why. Get the oem one.

IT was nissan one that was installed before …i guess they just put it in wrong…i got a new one today …put it on and now its alot better…i also made a rubber washer to put in to take up the rest of the slack…it alot better now no more rattle shifter when rev is nice… at first i was poping out of gear and crap…but now its fine i dunno what that was about…

next time just buy the B&M one… it’s well worth the money.

Apart from your bushing, isn’t there supposed to be a c-clip holding that thing down?

Or are the Megans designed differently?

x2 thats what i was going to ask. normally there is supposed to be a c clip holding it down, then you can pull it off like that. looks like your missing it

The megan doesnt come with the C-clip, i’m pretty sure that you are supposed to use your stock one, it will fit perfectly fine in there.

where can you get that c-clip? I think I’m missing one on of the trannys i have.

You dont use a c-clip on a obx, megan, or c’s thats the entire point of that thing that sits overtop of the shifter at the base that you bolt down tight. (blue thing in the video)

Get the bushing lucas and boil it in water over the stove…get it as hot as you can just keep stiring it so it wont stick to the bottom of the pot…toss some olive oil in there too it wont hurt. Get some plyers and get it out without burning yourself after its really hott and set it on the counter and then press the shifter into it…its really difficult…but this way it wont crack on you…or end up the way it did which is because the shop most deffinatly broke it…if it broke in the shifter the broken peice would be in there…it cant jump out when the shifters installed. -1 for the shop unable to install a bushing.

yeah its been good for like a week now, i just boiled it for like 2 minutes took it out and stuck it on it poped on easy…now it works great like its supposed to :slight_smile: