2 Broken Shifter Bushings In A Month, WTF????

Hey everyone.

Ok here’s the situation. Less then a month ago my Megan shifter was rattling and bouncing up and down and I realized, after confirming with a couple of people, that my bushing was toast. Sure enough, pulled the shifter and almost all of it was gone. :shock: Anyway ordered a new one from Nissan, put it and everything was fine. Untill today.

Sure enough, shifter starts rattling out of no where and bouncing around again. I know I broke another bushing.

So I have two questions for you guys.

1. What the hell could be breaking my bushings?

2. Check my install for the Megan short shifter. It’s last years version.

• bushing on shifter, shifter in, stock plastic spacer ring, blue Megan collar, stock shifter housing and then bolt it all in. Right or wrong?

I’d appreciate any help here. I have ordered another bushing but I would like this to be my last.

Thanks guys.

Easy 8)

I personaly have not used the shifter but prehaps its not made very well and because of that is causing you to wreck shifter bushings.

OBX SS > Megan SS

If the bushing fits the end of the shifter too loosely it can get pulled off
and eaten. But… if it fits tight then I don’t see where the problem is
comming from.

i personally never liked the design of any of those types of shifters…

i like the b/m style that replaces the entire shifter mechanism.

my bings SS works fantastic and im not one to usually like short shifters.

for the price of the bings id highly recomend it

GT

OBX + Tanabe solid steel shifter bushing is what i have

works so pimp

WOOT WOOT approved by Greg…

Andrew, i dont really agree with your math…lol… the OBX > Megan calculation.

OBX = Megan = Nismo = C’s

they are quite literally the EXACT same kit…

i would even wager a bet that they are all made in the exact same factory using the same machines monitored by the same people.

the reason i believe that is because some of my suppliers buy some of their items from the same factories as Megan / OBX etc. and that style of shifter is also available. in fact, you’d be surprised how cheap it can be had for.

whats more nismo and C’s it would be completely ridiculous for them to manufacture this product in-house because it would cost so much more than just rebadging the chinese-made version. if anything they buy the rods there and might use their own bushings or other rubber/plastic pieces.

i know for a fact that all Megan does it anodize one of the plates blue.

what is the difference between the following:

Megan
http://www.meganracing.com/uploadImage/regular/s13%20shifter.jpg

OBX
http://i3.ebayimg.com/01/i/01/16/3d/90_1.JPG

C’s
http://www.driftshop.com.au/interior_files/CTYPESS.JPG

nothing is, they are the same thing…

i would say bruce that this is probably due to something unique to you or your shifter.

never heard of this happening before really so its probably not the shifter itself unless you received one that has some flaw in it that causes greater stress on the bushing. it might be better jsut to purchase the whole shifter over again and see if that is the problem. if it is, then the problem is not the shifter, its you or your car.

Uhmm… That’s not how I installed mine… I kept doing mine like that and it kept popping out of first. Then I went and looked at the flash video 1gq2nv made and realized my mistake.

http://www.drestudios.com/howto/megan.htm

Uhmm… That’s not how I installed mine… I kept doing mine like that and it kept popping out of first. Then I went and looked at the flash video 1gq2nv made and realized my mistake.

http://www.drestudios.com/howto/megan.htm[/quote]

So that’s why I’ve been popping out of second then! :lol: Thanks man, I’ll make that change for sure.

Now I forgot to put something in my post that I’m thinking is VERY relevnet.

My transmission mount is broken in 2 pieces. It’s still bolted to the crossmember but no the less is in two halfs. Would that have an effect on the bushing?

I appreciate all this guys, thanks. :smiley:

werd,

this stuff should not be breaking EVER!

the quality is decent on all the items regardless of where they are made, so any unusual circumstances are likely driver or install error

The calculation I did was based on the fact that so many more ppl had
troubles with their Megan shifters than back when I did the OBX shifter GB.

Anyways, if you use the bushing that comes in the kit it will fall off and
your shifter will be sloppy. OEM/Tanabe works much better.

We’ve had this argument…

Move on…

Yeah, Im with him!

Now not that this is’nt a great discussion but I really want to know why Im blowing bushings guys. :lol:

I put in the oem nissan shifter bushing and my shifter felt so much better after that. I put it on and it was really secure, however, i think that it is starting to wear out as I now hear my shifter rattle at like 5000rpms to 7000rpms… I think i am going to check my install again. Btw, is there tanabe or C’s shifter bushing different from the oem nissan one?

hahahah
obx= megan= c’s = nismo…stupidest comment i ever heard bing !

c’s tomei and nismo make any other shifter feel like a piece of shit …i have owned and used them all, bottom line with a short shifter is that the more you pay, the better quality they are…

I have also heard the Tomei is a great unit. Sure those look the same in the pics but there can be diffrences since if you copy somthing wont it look the same? Basicly there will be a quality diffrence I would think between Tomei and Megan.

How satisfied are ppl with bing’s shifters? Cause I’m quite dissapointed in my Megan, I got to play around with an OBX in Walter’s car and it feels soooo much better than my shifter. Ironically enough, mine felt exactly like his when I had it installed WRONG (but it kept popping out of 1st) The issue I have with the megan right now, too much free play and I dislike the feel of it. Mine is installed exactly as per the flash video I posted earlier here.

Bing’s shifter is much like B&M although it doesnt feel as stiff. I’d say it’s
somewhere in between stock and B&M.

Im happy with my B&M. :dunno:

Haven’t tried anything else to really say. Did drive Adam’s old car with
the OBX but didn’t really notice much.