short tire life need advise...

i looked online and found tirerack has potenza’s for 245 and 265 but just wondering if they had anybetter deals out there. its for a infinity G35 coupe they only lasted 7K on my g/f’s car and the dealer said that is normal life expectincy. its only a lease and she is getting rid of it in june but it has to have decent tires on it when she turns it in or she gets nailed for tires again.

never heard of a factory tire only getting 7K out if it even my SRT-4 got like 15 and i beat the piss out of it. she gets pissed at me when i accel to like 40 in two blocks. she def drives it like a 50 year old guy. WTF with the life and is there anything we can do?

I had Potenza G009 205/55-16 on my Beretta and after 17,000 they still looked near new… I dunno what kinda Potenzas the Infiniti had but that is def. not acceptable for 7k miles.

They run about $85-95 each in that size and similar. I would def. recommend them to anyone.

had mitchlins on the g/f elantra from the factory only last 7,000 miles

Hey!

I am looking into 350z’s right now and see that early models have some from end alignment issues that eat tires. Has it been aligned?

no it has not. but its all 4 also she did wack a curb like 500 miles ago… but the doesnt explain the rears and front left tire.

i use to work at firestone in pleasant hills so im gonna talk to some of the guys down there and see if they can pro rate them. i know we use to do so with civics back in the day that owuld like just as long. bridgestone would prorate the tires to help out the customer.

My IS250 has Potenza RE050s on it. It had a sticker on the window factory warning that tire wear could be below 15k miles. I’m at 22k and the fronts are pretty done. Judging by the wear patern I should have been running a bit more air pressure in them (I ran it about 2-3psi below the factory recomendation as it seemed rather high, and the car felt a bit better there) since the inside/outsides are more worn than the middle. Though, it could be that the car has a little neg camber (or at least appears to, haven’t had it aligned) explaining the inner tire wear with all the highyway driving I do. But I also push it hard in the corners often explaining the outside wear. The rears still have a lot of life. When I do tires I’ll go with something else, I wasn’t that impressed with these. Grip was good, but road noise is a bit high as they wore down (very noticeable difference vs. when I first got the car w/ 2,800 mi on it). Wet weather performance isn’t that great (tire rack calls them a Max Perf. Summer) but the dry performance isn’t mind blowing for being so bad in the wet. They are spendy too. Overall, no reason to stick w/ them.

Anyway, which Potenzas did it have? Even on my Z28 I had RE750s and beat the piss outta them. I sold the wheels/tires w/ probably 10k on them when I got 17s and they still had at least 1/2 life left. Something doesn’t sound right.

-TJ

they are the 050’s like your car. she definately doesnt drive it like you or I would.

Weird. There are a lot of times I gramps drive my car, so I’m not always thrashing on it. But on/off ramps and mnt roads (my gf lives in Santa Cruz, I’m actually in Santa Clara now, it’s about 40 min apart over a little “mountain” pass, there’s one major highway which is super windy but way over law-enforced so you can’t fly, but there’s a TON of really, really AWESOME backroads that I use most of the time instead, top-notch mnt driving and I kill it sometimes) I go pretty damn hard on this car. I needed front brakes on it by 20k which is somewhat uncommon on these cars (though there was a TSB for the brake dust w/ the stock pads, so I got free front brakes) so you know I drive it a little hard.

Like I said, the fronts are done just at the edges, but the road noise is really killing me so I’ll probably replace them soon. The backs still have a lot of time left.

Even with the 15k “warning” sticker on the car, I can’t imagine running through these tires in 7k unless I was doing an AutoX and a road course track day EVERY weekend.

-TJ

When she is ready toget rido f it Mac give me a call and i can get her tires to get by…

is a heavy car thats why the hoops are wearing fast

my brother had the same problems with his grand prix…12,000 miles on his lease and the car needed new tires for inspection

Heavy yes, but no heavier, in fact probably lighter than my IS250.

EDIT Looks like I was wrong:

2006 IS250 Curb Weight = 3455: http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2006/lexus/is250/specifications/

G35 Coupe AT (assuming his girl’s car is an AT) Curb Weight = 3505: http://autos.yahoo.com/infiniti_g35_coupe_base-specs/?p=ext

So my IS is 50lbs heavier. But I hope for God’s sake I’m 50lbs heavier than his girl, so it should even out in the wash. Hell, I hope I’m more like 100lbs heavier than his girl. :wink:

Regardless it’s pretty damn close. And my IS and her G are on the exact model of tire. I’m too lazy to research anymore but I bet the dimensions are pretty close, probalby wider on the G (I run 225/255 front/rear on a 18).

I’d look into the alignment problem somebody brought up. What year G is it? Find some G-car/350Z forums and see if she has a year w/ the alignment issues. If Infiniti/Nissan are taking responsibility for the problem maybe a) there’s a fix for your girl’s car so the tires don’t wear so fast next time b) they’ll discount/pro-rate the replacement tires.

-TJ

I would suggest Potenza RE960AS Pole Positions, they are a new(er) Ultra High Performance All Season tire, with a 400 Treadwear, they have a 40k warranty on them, and i have been running them on the GTO since March, still look great, and my best 60’ at PRP was a 2.01… they work really well for the street, i could not be happier

those cars eat the tires no matter what you do. if you call nissan and bitch enough, they might pay for part of another set for you for “customer satisfaction”. there is a doctor that comes into my shop that has one and they did it twice for him. 8-9k is all he got out of them, then they reimbursed him a certain $ amount for the tires and the alignment. there is no caster or camber adjustments with the stock stuff from what i remember. the toe can be perfect and they’re still gonna wear like crap. he finally just got rid of the car.

I don’t think there’s “no” adjustment, just very limited range which always is going to end up w/ neg camber.

My old housemate had a '04 G35 Coupe for a long time, and he had it DUMPED. It only had springs swapped, no other susp changes. He ended up w/ a pretty big amount of neg camber. Even still, he got about ~10k out of a set of tires.

My Z06 has -2.8 front camber with 0 toe and at about ~5k on the front tires they are easily half life. Across the middle to the outside of the tire they look practically new, the inner edge is pretty worn (obviously). The rear is -1.7 with .25" total toe-in. The backs have about the same mileage on them and actually look better than the fronts (after getting about 7k miles on a set of $1k back tires last time I’m taking it a bit easier on these ones, haha). My race tires wear perfectly even… but of course all that neg. camber is setup for racing, not street driving.

That thing must have a lot of toe in or out to be killing tires that quick. Something is wrong, and its a known issue w/ those cars. I’d go beat Infiniti up on this one.

-TJ