Should i Stage 2?

well as i have said in my other thread, im havin a problem with my pcm/tune or something on my Cobalt. more than likely a reflash or new pcm will fix it. but anyways, im kinda thinking it might be col to just upgrade to a stage II setup (which i would think would also fix the problem, unless the pcm itself is physically bad…which i doubt). seeing as how i dont have the ws6 anymore and i dont really wanna blow all my money on a Z06 at the moment (but it will happen eventually), i was thinking maybe a stage 2 for the SS would be fun, even though it is my DD/fun car, pulling double duty. think its worth it or would it be stupid? opinions:idb:

i say go for it…so u have something to play till you get ur z06

BE A MAN!

i’d stage 5 it personally.

what the hell is that supposed to mean? lol

i dont know much bout the ss but i know on srts i can make more power off of a stock(stage0) com then my stage1 or any of the stages that mopar puts out!!! thats y im sellin it. is ur stage2 like reflash and injectors or more???

pulley, injectors, reflash basically

what the hell would you need injectors for? its probably just an intake pulley and tune

would u have to upgrade ur tranny or is that a myth??? <<<< i have heard of this from some ss owners at the track saying that once u add power mods the tranny likes to shit out:puke:

:doh: just do it.

I’m pretty sure that’s all Stage 2 is… It’s on the GMPP site.

ahhhhh I hate people that wanna increase the boost on their cars but have no idea wtf is going on with knock, fueling, timing, etc. most likely your new pcm is going to cut timing so you can add boost. it’s the only way you can do it but you can’t forget that timing makes power too, plus it’s free!

and another thing…

throwing in boost and fuel without having a way to put more air in and more exhaust out isn’t the best way to make HP. before dropping pulleys why not do a header or a throttle body? anything to make you a little less likely to blow up your motor. my setup right now is pushing probably 3-4 psi. Not a lot and certainly not maximum potential but I know one thing…it’s safe until I can make MY own tune and decide based on MY car when its okay to drop pulleys.

well its a GM package and it doesnt even void the warranty when installed (even tho mine is up) i see no reliablility problems by adding this package, along with the Injen intake i already have.

the GM stage 1 package is the injectors and the stage 2 is the rest of the stuff mentioned.

i hear that about autos in the gtps and all that, but i havent heard anything about the SS manual tranny havin any probs with mods.

Did a old lady pass you up in her cobalt ls :steelers:

I doubt it well affect reliability. So do it

small injectors in them?? but yeah. id def make sure you got more ait going in before you worry about pushing more air out.

i dunno, i assume the stock injectors arent that heavy, if thats what the stage 1 kit consisits of. do u think with the Injen intake and stage 2 package that would work fine with the exhaust being stock? seems like it would be fine from what ive read.

as far as why, i just figured if i do end up having to pay for a reflash, id rather put that money towards getting it reflashed with the stage 2 code (w/ accompanying mods) than speend the money just to have to reflash a stock tune on it. if they determain that the pcm unit, itself is bad and needs replaced, then ill probly just have that replaced and leave it stock…dunno if that makes any sense

increased boost = increased air :naughty:

He has an idea of what’s going on with knock/timing etc isn’t that the point of the ‘flash’ plus it’s under warranty with these products???

Are you assuming this is what the pcm does, (cut timing to increase boost) or are you positive?

I know that’s not how my pcm is tuned :ugh:

boost = increased pressure = increased heat. the engine is a heat pump. the more easily air flows in and out the cooler it will run and the more power it will make

kilmer I have no idea how your pcm is tuned or even what you drive. I am however familar with tuning and eaton roots blowers. You cannot just add boost and fuel and expect to be safe, GM has to be sure somehow that this setup will work under warranty(that goes for the tranny too). What other way to be safe with boost than a decrease in timing? you can’t run a factory package pig rich to compensate

edit - smokey. you’ll be fine with the stage 2, GM wouldn’t make it available if it wasn’t safe. But for future references I’d also consider getting a header and some exhaust to go with your intake. They’re all great supporting mods for boost and you’ll be closer to making the most out of your setup. remember a eaton blower is basically a fancy ass hair dryer. the cooler you run the better