Should i Stage 2?

just do it

ya, i was prety sure that there were alot of ppl throwing the kits on, even with out the exhaust to support it. as u said, it would prop def benefit from that aswell, so i can consider that down the line. the only real difference i know of, as far as things id have to change are that it requires premium octane, whereas stock its only reccomended but still safe. here and there i put 89 in it since i do so much highway cruising and am not even in boost anyways, but id go strictly 93 if i go ahead with this mod. but basically, im lookin to get this pcm error fixed first and foremost and i am kinda lookin at it as an opportunity to go ahead and mod it, if im gonna have to throw money into it anyways.

wow, gm only “recommends” premium? damn they must be confident with their setup then. that really surprises me

In all honesty, go custom. The GM Stage kits are great for people who want to be covered under warranty. But you said it yourself - you’re out of warranty.

90% of the Cobalts and Redlines in Pittsburgh are modded WELL beyond stage 2, but then again we’re blessed with a lot of people who know a shitload about the LSJ motor.

Seems like the sweet spot is a 2.8" pulley with 60 #/hr injectors and a custom tune (with intake and exhaust, header is optional - no one’s added one yet). If you REALLY want to do it right get a meth injection kit, it really helps keep the IAT2 #'s in check and allows you to add a little more timing.

Your tranny will be fine and if you’re experienced at driving a manual AND you don’t like to dump the clutch, then even your clutch will survive. (And if it doesn’t, we’ve got quite a few of those swaps under our belts as well.)

You have an 05…would it happen to be black??? And would you happen to have been on 376 a little after 5 today??? I was cruisin in an orange SS/SC and saw an 05 black one, just figured I’d ask if it was you by chance.

well to be honest, im not goin for optimum peformance, as this car was never bought with the intentions to mod it to the max. i need it to be reliable and i dont want to get into any trial and error or anything complex. i love the simplicity of the GM stage kits and itll give me just enough performance to have fun when i do decide to push the car alittle. i agree, the 2.8 seems to be a hot setup tho. i have a red one, by the way so that wasnt me. orange is sick on these cars. sweet choice.

01gpgt, ya it is kinda crazy that its not required. the manual just states that its safe but you may experience weaker acceleration. and like i said, if im cruisin to work, ill throw 87 or 89 in and just set the cruise and go. but if im gonna be rippin it around, i def put premium in it

Well thanks for the compliment, but the orange one is my boyfriend’s, I’ve got an Arrival Blue 05 SS/SC.

I was on my way to buy some plastic and various other supplies to tape off his window since some a-hole decided to break in and steal a bunch of crap out of it. That’s when I saw the black one cruising around.

If you want the most reliable, then yes, stick with Stage 2. The 2.8/60s setup is currently or has been run on the majority of the Cobalts around with no problems what so ever. It’s been around a LONG time, so the guys that tune were able to get it nailed down to a science.

Down the road if you decide you want something a little more, it’s hellaciously easy to upgrade from Stage 2 since you only need to swap out pulley rings, not replace the entire pulley again.

well i like all the colors but yellow on the SS. oddly enough, when i start searching for Z06s, yellow will be my number 1 choice tho. lol.

anyways, i def want reliable. and i hope the pcm is all good with the intake and stage 2 mods, if i go that route.

i say do it man, i drive my ss/sc as dd and would go stg2 if i had the $.

alleycat58: that black ss/sc you seen could have been me. i was on my way home from indiana at about 5ish, but mine is an 06

Same here, I don’t like yellow, and I don’t like Laser Blue. I think it’s just my own genetic color sensitivity, it’s just WAY too purple for me.

Your PCM will be fine. Plus the canned stage 2 tune, IIRC, is done under the assumption of having an intake and exhaust on the car. Only reason I say this is I know the people that were having CEL issues with their intakes said the Stage 2 tune eliminated the issue. The stock PCM can handle quite a bit. I think my boyfriend’s running meth, 60# injectors, 2.6" pulley, with a +7000 RPM rev limit and it’s done just fine. Other people have been able to tweak it for NOS, cams, and turbo swaps, so stage 2 and an intake will be a cakewalk.

Nope, it was an 05 for sure. I thought at first it was another one of the black SS’s around, but I eneded up behind them. As I was catching up thinking it was Brian, I noticed the two antennas on top since the 05’s didn’t have the combined XM/OnStar antenna. So I knew even before I saw the badges it was an 05.

If you see an Arrival Blue one up in Indiana at any point on a Tuesday, that’s me. I think the other girl that had an Arrival Blue SS graduated, I haven’t seen her up there this semester.

ya thats what im hoping. im taking it to the dealer tomm to have them run the diagnostic and make sure its just the tune, probly caused by the intake. so if thats all it is, ill just get the stage 2 rather than pay for a reflash of the stock tune. if its something else, then ill post it up in the thread and see what u guys can make of it. this has been a pain in the ass, but might end up cool if i get a stage 2 out of it. lol.

I would do it if I were having peoblems with the pcm, so yes I suggest it. You said yourself, you would end up paying for half the stage 2 anyhow with the reflash, may as well get a couple more goodies for a couple more dollars.

no, you’ll still be slow

stfu. dont ruin my thread, douche bag. as stated, its my DD and im not goin for 1/4 mi times. but fuck, i might aswell roll like you and tel everyone i have a stage 6976 and ran 9’s when noone was there.

:rofl:

go fuck yourself you stupid faggot

drive your gay car off a cliff

touch a nerve? dont ruin the thread.

i say go for it, Its your car… ESP if u end up needing a reflash anyway…

LOL…

Why the hell is this in off topic?

you look into any of the intense racing stage packages?

and it will still just be a cobalt