*sigh* phone geeks... wth is with the 403 error?

ok, so 99.9% of the websites I’m trying to visit on my phone keeps giving me a “403:Forbidden” error. I did some searching on howardforums and it seems that cricket (I assume, as I didn’t understand the technical side of it) for whatever reason doesn’t allow you to connect to anything outside of their portal.

I keep getting the error “403 Forbidden” :cjerk:

I called tech support and the dude didn’t really seem like he knew what he was talking about (or didn’t understand what I was asking) and told me to type some shit into my phone, reset it and it should work fine (it doesn’t).

I did some more reading, hoping to find something broken down into laymans terms, but to no avail.

So I just called them back and the girl was a little more helpful. She told me that it’s because the website I was trying to visit was too large for the phone. I told her that it couldn’t be the case, as I was able to get to some of the said websites on my old bare bones flip phone on my old tmobile service without a problem… surely this phone should be able to do it fine (not to mention their all WAP sites for christs sake).

then she told me that it’s because crickets network didnt support said websites yet? WTF?

I mean, I enjoy being able to check email and get info online if I need it on the road. Jesus… I signed up with them, over verizon, for that reason (all unlimited for 50 m/o).

I’m about to go return this hunk of shit and go verizon. I NEVER had a problem like this with Cingular or T-Mobil

fyi, not sure it it helps, but I have the kyocera slider phone (kx5)

I type “403 forbidden” into the google search in my browser, and came up with a number of hits, that all tell me it’s a problem that you are going somewhere you aren’t supposed to be.

Let’s assume for a second that you are going to a site that doesn’t require a login, and you still get the message. Then the problem is with your crappy phone browser. There is probably a reason it was only $50/mo for unlimited voice/data.

want websites? get a pda phone

/story

[quote=“zwarbyt,post:3,topic:24498"”]

want websites? get a pda phone

/story

[/quote]

hmmm… wonder if I can get one for cricket. So far the service has been great, no complaints except for the internet thing.

sureshot, I don’t see why… The phone has good reviews. Unless it has something to do with the proprietary software that cricket installs on their phones.

Well, what shitty browser are you running? I know the last time I had a normal phone, the browser sucked ass and I couldn’t go to half the sites on the internet - pda phone FTW.

they have wep browsers

I think opera makes one

I tried it out on my phone, it worked fine, but my regular sprint browser works the same so i just stuck with that.

it’s openwave 6.2.3.6

Justin, where can I get opera for it? is there a WAP site for it? EDIT: ok, nevermind, think I got it

like I said, it’s a Keyocera KX5 slider remix

ok, cant even access the opera mobile site (and it seems that it isn’t sending me a text message with the d/l link)… figures.

it also said that it didnt support BREW enabled phones (whatever that is)…

MAybe you didn’t pay the extra $$$ for web browsing to your provider?

regardless of paying extra money, you should still be able to get on the web.

cricket’s tech support isn’t really notorious for being informative. kyocera phones get the same browser regardless of the provider. it sounds like provider error. in some cases, mini opera is a better browser for mobile applications. i use it on my samsung phone. i suggest you call cricket again, and try to get someone more knowledgable.