single stage paint

does anyone know if u can clearcoat a single stage paint

prob can but not worth it

If its laquer, you can’t.

I know a guy that paints his boats like that
single stage it, let it dry, skuff it down then bomb on clear…it help protects it…

i talked to my uncle and if the paint are not chemically matched the base color may peel, if you are going to take the time to spray clear why not not just respray a good base

yea i have single stage on my car

it sucks man, take the time and do it right

Single stage can be buffed, polished, and waxed to look like it has clear.

If you do it right

However you can’t sand and buff metallic single stage. Solid color yes. When I paint a s/s solid color I mix the finial coat with 50% 2002 clear {ppg products} then sand and buff. Makes for a great job.

I should have clarified.

my 1970 vette has old red lacquer on it. when i got it, the car had some slight scratches; nothing a rotary buffer wont take care of. a lil meguiars #80 speed glaze then #26 wax makes it look like a fresh paint job.

laquer shines better than base clear, people still paint some show cars with laquer.

base coat / clear coat… only way to go… all we use on our Yenko cars is BASF Glasurit. Single stage is not bad for cars like neons, cavaliers, etc… and it comes out pretty good. Nothing comes close to base coat / clear coat systems.

based clear is best. but if you are using a single stage. follow the flash times for the single stage, and you can clear it. but it must be a clear that uses the same reducer and hardener as the single stage. and with the product enviromental controls, you would be hard pressed to find a cheap single stage that has a matching clear nowadays. for the price difference, base coat is cheaper than single stage if you are going to be clearing, and in most cases (with the primier basecoats) you will get more coverage with base coat to hide primer spots and such.

the new lacquer isnt worth a shit from what ive heard. This is because there is no lead in the paint.
the old lacquer was very forgiving and very durable