Smokindiesel's 1996 Dodge Cummins 12 Valve

I figured I could make a “member project” thread about my truck. The truck is a 1996 Dodge Cummins 12 Valve Single Cab, SRW, 4x4, Long Bed. I got this truck in 2004, and it has been a long road to get it to where it is at now.

When I got the truck, paint was shot. Both doors rusted, passenger side bedside was shot, drivers fender, all molding, etc. TON of door dings, wavy bodylines, etc. The truck underwent a major overhaul.

I had all bodywork & paint done by Grillo’s Automotive. Truck was sprayed the stock color (Silver Mist) … But added a BIT of flake … and a good amount of pearl.

The truck did not come factory with cab lights, so I added those, along with a DRW tailgate light to spice things up in the rear. Added one piece crystal headlight as well

I added a 2 inch leveling kit, bushwacker fender flairs, DT Pro Fab + Control Arms, Adjustable Trac Bar, & Skyjacker Steering Stab. Mounted up some Procomp Chrome 6079 16x10 wheels wrapped in Procomp Xtream A/T’s 35x12.50’s. This gave the truck an agressive look, without going to majorly high and sacrificing ride too much.

Interior I replaced the headliner, added a sirus sat. radio, Alpine DVA-310 DVD Player, Alpine Amp, & replaced all speakers w/ infinitys. Autometer Phantom II Pyro, 0-60psi Boost, Oil Temp, & Fuel Pressure Gauges. Stewart Warner Shiftlight w/ digital tach.

The current performance mods that put me at low to mid 400’s hp.
AFE Stage I Intake
HX-35-16 Turbo set to 50 psi
5" Exhaust - 5" Stacks
3,000 RPM Governer Spring Kit
AFC (Air Fuel Controller) Kit
Advanced Timing To 18.5*
#100 Fuel Plate w/ Tuned Pump
South Bend FE Single Disc Street/Strip Clutch
And a TON of tuning.

As I am happy with the power level that I am at … This power level is becoming much more common in the “diesel world”

Now fast forward to the last few months … and in the last 3 weeks parts are REALLY starting to come in :bigok:

I got a hold of a stock low milage 12 valve head and sent it out to Greg @ GMS Racing Engines.
Head got a resurface, Stage 3+ Port & Polish (almost 14 pounds of material taken out!!) 60# Valve Springs, Titainium Valve Retainers, Hardened Keepers, O-Rings, & bottom tapped for my ARP Head Studs. Also a new 5-layer headgasket.

Bought new front timing cover gasket (mid as well replace all the gaskets!!) along with a few others.

ATS 3-Piece Pulse Exhaust Manifold

CFM+ 3-Port Carbon Fiber Intake Manifold

Since I wanted to stay with a single turbo and not twin the truck … I ordered up Industrial Injections latest & greatest single monster. The Silver Bullet & Downpipe

This turbo is there new 74mm (the previous hx35 was in the 50’s) The new trim design transfers exhaust gas energy more efficiently than any other turbine on the market. It also allows for better exhaust gas expulsion which results in lower EGt’s and quicker rotor acceleration. The most important benefit of the 74 mm turbine wheel is that it gets rid of turbo surge and broadens the power band range.

We at Keystone Diesel machined a new #100 fuel plate, with a more aggressive power curve.

Custom EDM 5x.18 Injectors with custom needle & body (These things spray A LOT of fuel!)

4,000 RPM Governor Spring Kit … Tuned to safely turn 4,500rpm!! (Hence the 60# Valve Springs)

Haisley Machine Heavy Duty Intercooler Boots w/ Spring Clamps

Snow Perfomance Stage 3-MAX Water/Meth Kit w/ true 2d mapping,3 larger nozzles (controlled independently), 7-Gallon Res., 180PSI Pump, Digital Controller w/ EGT & Boost mode … or Boost Only Mode. I will be running a 50/50 mix of water/meth

To plant this power to the pavement I have chosing a Southbend Double Disc 3600 Competition Clutch w/ 12 Cermanic Buttons per side … Heavy Duty 1 3/8" Input Shaft, & Heavy Duty Hydro Kit

I will also add even more timing … Somewhere between 20 & 22.5 degrees.

Things are REALLY rolling in … which is great news. All tranny work is going to be completed on wed … And Thursday we are planning on pulling the stock head, and going from there.

I am hoping everything will be completed & tuned in & dynoed within the next few weeks.

Goal … I am really hoping to break over 600+ hp on this setup …

Thanks for looking … Wish me luck!!! I will keep this updated with pictures, and updates as things progress

SWEEEEEEEEEETTTTTT…get R Done

Thanks Guff … Im trying … Im trying!!

i want a ride in it b4 u do anymore & after :smiley:

also since its gonna have 60+psi of boost, i seen u have a 0-60 boost gauge. Do they make a boost gauge that goes higher then 60psi ?

Guff … Will do man!! … We need to hook up before wed, since thats the tranny day!! LOL …

They do make a 0-100psi boost gauge … but … After Greg @ GMS did a KILLER job on the head … Im pretty sure I can set the wastegate right at 60psi (or maybe a little less) since the truck will breath SOOOOO much better naturally (with the stage 3+ head, exhaust mani, & intake mani) … So excess boost shouldn’t be needed. At least thats my theory anyways!!

I already got the before ride… the truck is sick as it is. Looks great and runs like crazy.

let’s hookup,I want to see how much of a pussy this 06 mack is.

weighs 35,xxx only 4 tires spin with the diff in. never a posi, always pass or driver side.

couldnt imagine this truck has more than 1500tq and 400hp

looking good

Thanks Zach! … Wait for the after!!!:bigthumb:

Thanks Brian!

sweet. sounds like gonna be even more badass
good luck with your build

Thanks Jeff! I apprichiate it buddy!

yo man… that is gonna be discusting. cant wait to see it chuggin some smoke. such a nice rig.

Thanks buddy! I can’t wait!

:bigok:

thought i might wait until after the build to get a ride in it…mmmmmmmmm

Lol. It will be ready when you get back Mike. Btw I lost your number so send it to ME

7Xmm FTW! (I run 70mm ;))

haha … hell yeah!!!

New double disc clutch and imput shaft are in. On the short ride I took it for … my legs hurts already … LOL

Clutch is SUPER sticky … but will handle anything that I throw at it!!

Draining everything out tomorrow night, and saturday the head, exhaust manifold, turbo, intake manifold, front timing cover, oil pan are comming off. Well see what else we get done

sounds like a busy weekend!!

goodluck!