snowmobile guys, need some help on possible purchase

Im debating on possibly buying a snowmobile this winter just for something to do and the fact that where i can store the ski is less then a quarter mile away from a trail. I dont want to spend a ton of money and i have seen a few 99-01 for around 1,000 to 1,500. My question is what should I look for , and what brand sleds should I look at. I have rode a few times and Im looking for something to ride trails and have a little speed when needed.

The difference in what you can get for 1,000 to 2,000 is huge. Spend close to 2,000 and get something that will be quick and somewhat reliable. I paid 1700 for my 01 srx 700 two years ago. I would definitely get something 600+ cc preferably twin / triple piped.

stay away from triples, too much power for around here anyways

get yourself a ski-doo: mxz, 500 liquid would be pretty solid. Should be around 2k. It’ll do 90+ if you get enough room.

Anything Yamaha. For around 2k you can get into something real decent. As far as a 700triple, ya its prolly overkill for the most part. I have an SX Viper 700, and honestly, I could have just as much fun on a two-up Venture 500. And it would have reverse.

ive been around sleds for a while, and i say go with a cat. you can find yourself a nice zr in pretty good shape for that money. itll probably have some miles, but theres good ones out there.

you sound like someone that just wants to hop on and go, and would like something with some pretty good power.

the zr3(2000-~05) is the best handling sled ever. period. you can rip through a corner, itll lift the inside ski 6-12" and sit there. itll just rail and not want to tip over. the only sled that is as good is the new twin spar chassis cat has, and that you need to tweak a bit for it to corner as well. its a little heavier compared to the rev’s and firecats, but those are out of your price range and unlike those, the zr can really take a beating. ive hit ditches that my buddys have and my sled has survived where theirs got bent up. and stay away from anything with a trailing arm front suspension. cat has had the a-arm front suspension for what, 20 years now? theyve got it pretty well figured out. they ride pretty good, and in their day were a much better riding sled then the others. its nothing compared to whats out now though.

you can also get cat’s efi. its batteryless, and theyve had it on production sleds since about '97. its flawless, infact cat’s engineer that helped design the system is actually being paid by polaris right now to get their crappy fuel injection working right.

i would say youll want atleast a 600, so go for a powervalve one. if you can get atleast a 2002, even better. they had better running boards. find a nice cross country edition. itll probably be in the higher end of your price range though.

This is just like asking “what car should I buy…”

Everyone one is going to say their favorite brand is the best. Should be pretty evident as the last three posters each said to buy a different brand… I’ve had Polaris, Ski-Doo, and Arctic Cats before, and they’ve all been reliable as long as they’re taken care of.

Ok thanks for the help guys, I was just trying to get some ideas where to start.