so a friend is trying to decide what car to buy .... low 13sec cars or faster

hes been thinking about it for a while, and he realy cant decide …

on one hand, he wants something quick that he can also tow with, on the other hand he wants something fast and will just buy a beater truck for towing

so somedude and i have been bouncing ideas off him

he wanted a new stang, but doesnt like the interior - would get T/C’ed
he would probably buy a lightning if they were still making them
he was thinking about a new saleen mustang for a lil while
he’s considering building a Marauder clone w/ way more power

alex suggested an Audi S4 with the larger turbo ans such

i suggested a used GTO, with a few goodies …

this block / heads combo:

408 iron block turbo/stroker motor. All parts brand new including block (never run). Too much hp for me. 8-sec. potential. Block is O-ringed, ARP head studs, ARE 317 heads ported and polished, 2.05 intake, Ross pistons, Lunati rods and crank, ATI super dampner balancer, professionaly assembled, designed for 25+ boost with a compression ratio of 8.5 to 1

cam specs are .572 I/570 E dur.@.050230/236 lobe sep. is 113

$4000 + shipping and full gasket set

and then slap on some sort of forced induction …

if he bought a used GTO, he could have a rock solid block and a nice FI system for the price of a new GTO … and would be able to mod it as far as he wants as time goes on …

i donno … anyone have any other suggestions ?

C5 Z06?

is he driving it all year round?

^^^no, 99% chance of him getting a winter beater. i know alex and i can talk him into getting a winter beater if the last 1% should become a reality

mentioned the Vette option, i dont think hes looking to spend that much on insurance, one of the reasons the marauder would be a clone, to keep the grand marquis vin #

i also suggested a Lightning type build with a normal f-150 … get one used with leather interior and get the panels, then lower it and wheel swap it … also done to keep ins prices down …

no, 99% chance of him getting a winter beater. i know alex and i can talk him into getting a winter beater if the last 1% should become a reality

whats it gotta tow???
whats his budget??

I love the idea of clone cars

a reasonable sized boat for fishing, a trailer with 2 snowmobiles … nothing major, stuff an f-150 would handle with ease

and he didnt flinch at the idea of spending 33k on a used goat + performance mods

the thing is, alex and i cant get a budget OR a performance goal out of him. he doesnt know how much he wants to spend and doesnt know how fast ge wants to go

one day he loves the idea of building a 800hp lightning, another day hes wondering if he REALY needs to get 800hp out of a GTO

trust me, weve been trying to nail down some numbers to go by … but its not working well … lol

what gto are going for 33K used? my buddy just picked up a used 04 under 20k. if he wants to spend big money like that, he mind as well get him a car. he can always find a cheap pickup plus when its not towing something it would be great in the winter

used GTO + the long block i listed + a forced induction kit + some other stuff and a tune = someplace north of $30K

if he has a halfway decent driving record, vette insurance really isn’t bad. at all. even full coverage. i’m just saying.

sounds like he needs to pin down what he wants out of a car first. i think that, of all things in getting a car - is THE hardest thing to do.

if you need to tow its already a truck decision

twin turbo ls1 in a silverado ne1

Suggest harder. Fast + Torque + Interior = GTO, no real way around it.

he going to testdrive one next weekend :slight_smile:

wets give a little back storyon his personaity car wise. you know the 3 cylinder saturn I have not? well that was his first car he bought off his dad. I met him at goodyear and he liked my SHO quite a bit but didn’t want something that old (relibility aside aparently) so I literaly dragged him to go test drive a gen 3 SHO (the V8 one) and he instantly fell in love with the luxury, and power. he has been in a couple of F bodies and he really hates them (crappy interior lots of vibration ect…).

he absolutly fell in love with the ford lightning in 05 and infact he saw the episide of trucks where they said the new one was going to have 500hp to compete with everyone else + you can toe and haul with it. love at first site with a vehicle that looked something like this. http://www.worth1000.com/web/media/142152/lightning.jpg infact he liked it so much he went to the local SVT dealer to put a deposit down on one. that is when they broke the news to him :frowning:

we went car shopping at one point and he liked the mazdaspeed vehicles but he needs something a step up from those power wise. so I was thinking volvo S80 with a 4.4V8 :slight_smile: but again modibility is not there.

we are still trying to get him to turbo his 99 SHO the tuning software and all the bits to make it happen are there but he doesn’t want to put 10K into a taurus (turbo, tranny, and it needs new struts all around at 225 a piece)

he seems to want some luxury as well as a lot of power and thats why I was prodding him in the ribs do drive a S4 (6 speed), upgrade the turbos up the boost and pound teh crap out of it in style! I think he might even settle with the 4.2 if he drove one because they arn’t exactly slow either. + AWD. and this would be his cheapiest option of the bunch.

If he digs the luxury aspect of an interior, he will love a new GTO. Everyone rags on those cars until they actually drive one. GTO+ a few simple bolt-ons FTW.

Trailblazer SS … turn off the Torque Managment, Slap on a 100 shot and ya got a high 12 truck that has no problem towing

I was just about to post the same thing

not as easy as it sounds…in fact it sucks moose testicles covered in a light and fluffy, yet not filling, chocolate.

honestly, the SS needs a 100 shot to get out of the hole… was a slouch on the testdrive…

or skip the juice, and bolt on a procharger.

Deffinitly the Marauder Clone IMO… those cars are secksi :tup: Just love the way it all comes together

I’ve always been a fan of the powerful boats though
http://www.elepent.com/photos/mercury/marauder.jpg
http://www.familycar.com/RoadTests/MercuryMarauder/Images/LeftRear2.jpg