so how much you got into your motor setup

so how much if you added up every penny what you think you would have into your motor. including gaskets, machine work, motor mounts, pulleys alternator and etc…

shit ive been throuhg 6 or 7 alternators. id say i have about 8k on top of my car for ALL of my mods

low 3Gs for me. im guessing

my first thought would be alot

about 900 bucks not done yet…

100 bucks

6 grand or so total into the motor. about 24k total with all the work and the price of the car

shit, there is so much more im foregtting to list. i bought so much shit in the last year. i keep a word document w/ everything i have ever bought for the car. In the past 14 months i have spent $6300 this includes paint supllies, efi system, brakes, lines, fittings, etc etc. so all the shit i list below is not relatively new, as i i just bought it (like the wastegate) so those prices would be tallied up in earlier sections on my word document list…

here is prices on my parts if joe schmo were to buy it. some prices may be cheap, that is b/c i dunno what list is, but thats what i paid… I turned in alot of favors and traded labor saving moeny here and there.

stock 93 vw motor that i striped just for the bare block/crank.- 125. then sold all the shit i stripepd for 100 bucks, so really only paid 25.
pauter rods-- 725
je pistons- 535
arp headstuds- 110
arp main studs- 120
new vw oil pump- 150
new vw oil pan- 25
vw multilayer headgasket- 20
vw gasket set- 50
bosche oil filter- 3
rod bearings/main bearings/ new seals and some other shit on the list i bought seal wise i forget-- 150
all new hoses- 75
thermostat-- piece of metal w/ hole cut in it-- so freebie monster garage style
new german all metal waterpump- 45
oil cooler setup- grabbed from a volvo
machine shop fees to balance bottom end, bore the block, put slugs on rods, polish crank, hot ank block, install new intermediate shaft bearings- 450

then here is the kicker-- my head. i paid 735 shipped for it. i tore it apart to inspect it-- it had 3 bad exhaust valves which i fixed for 60 bucks in parts my cost. while i had it, just spent the money and had the entire head redone for piece of mind. so 10 bucks a valve to do a valve job (5 angle)= 160 bucks spent for labor at machine sop, plus cost of 3 valves.-- 220

if i were to actually build the head, i woudl have paid the following…

figure 200 bucks is going rate for stock head that is ok

2 mm oversized stainless intake valves-- no one makes them for vw’s… so custom done. dont even know price x 8. 1 mm bigger valve costs 40 each, i would assume 40-50 range for 2 mm bigger x8??? say 45 and est at 360 for 8

stock sized stainless exhaust valves-- 35 each x 8= 280

titanium retianers- 240

new light weight cam buckets- 30 each x 16= 480

bigger cams= 400

adjustable cam gear- 140

stiffer valve springs= 150

so right here we are at $2250 then add in the following labor that was done— guy said he had 3300 into the head, which i can believe. to bad he burned 3 exhaust valves, but easy fix and i got a killer deal.

ceramic coating exhaust port and combustion chamber-- dont know price

5 angle valve job and exstensive port work, “race port”-- price unknown…

so thats just the motor, so we need to add up the shit that hangs off the motor—

intake manifold-- $550 (sponsered, so got for less)

exhaust manifold-- full stainless equal length, Hybrid built by jay-- no set price between us as of right now as we barter. yet going rate is 500-700 range by the few vw shops who make them.

4 holley 75 lb injectors bought used= 225

aeromotive fpr= 125

tso4 turbo w/ .58 trim wheel, turbine side p trim wheel stuffed into a ported out .63 housing-- dont know real price, as this was a sponsor deal thing. my estimate is 600-1100 range, as this is not really a shelf turbo, as alot fo shit was changed to get the p trim into a 63 housing. Figure a tso4 can be had for 600-800, but add in some moeny for the labor to mix/match… either way i got hooked up on it.

turbonetics racegate- 200 used

new intake/exhaust studs/nuts= 7 bucks

audi 120 amp alt- 50

clutch/pp/ flywheel= 300

catch can- 10 bucks used

brain is fried, i cant think of any more shit…

6500 to 7k.bottom end all brand new parts used heads & intake,900 in all new bearing after the booooooooooooooooom!

id say i got about 3k or so into mine with a lot of used parts

around 5500 in my GSX motor, 1k in my b18b1, 500 in my ferio’s H22, 11k in the 430ci donovan, 8k in the 468 race nova bb, 2k or so in my 3s-gte in my alltrac (2 rebuilds).

Shit adds up man. Its tough too put a number on your time too. Most of my motors I hand assemble, mine and customers. Also I hand make all my piping, exhaust, and just brackets/etc. that need to be made for custom apps…oil lines, etc. Its hard to put a dollar amount on that stuff. Although, when doing customer work, its not hard at all to dollar amount it. :naughty: na, j/k i help everyone out.

$50 air filter… all k&n’d out nukka

maybe $9500 into the vette

2 grand but i know i couldve spent less but im paranoid !!!

3k into the motor at the moment

600 for ls swap
250 for spare ls motor that came in use
800 for my car
1125 for entire turbo set up
250 for bfg drag radials

i build my car for $2225 not counting little odds and ends, gauges ect.

the first time around i had 2500 including the tranny (1k) in it

just ordered new parts, i have about 2500 i would guess??

which car? lol

basic maintanance on the hurst plus a K &n,pwermaster alt (chrome) and some flow masters -$400

GS- well the engine was done before i got it but i just changed from headers to stock manifolds and had the manifolds power flowed, changed from 3 inch to 2 1/2. I’d say the engine has about 2,000 into it and the resto is nearing $9000 in parts reciepts.

SS- about $1000, carb,distrib, 140 amp alt, intake, air cleaner, dress up

84 hurst project- well i got a whole other car with the engine for it for $400 and is was a mild olds 350 with $2000 in parts with aobut 1000k on the rebuild

86-ss-fastburn 385 4200.00, ported heads free I did them, K&N extreme flow filter and lid 220, holley carb 260, GN TQ 200, GN drums 25, tires 400, rear seat x braces made it edelbrock tes headers 369, hooker exhaust 200, flex-lite fans 200 4" cowl harowood hood 100. lt4 hot cam setup 500, hit 11.9 not bad.

85 ss lol way too much money.