So I got bored at work today and...

It took me 2hrs to bake, 4 to weld and 4 to cool.

If you want to pay me the $50/hr someone would charge to do this
kind of work times 10hrs I’d be glad to sell you this one for $500…

Yes.

I used 2lbs of Steel Rod and 2 1"^2 1/4" thick squares of steel in the middle.

It’s not all a ball of weld dude, I welded the spyder gears together,
then the spider gears to the sidewall then incerted a metal plate into
the canter of the spyder gears and welded them to that.

What is?

I noticed there are no grind marks, no cut marks… This means that you didn’t remove any material to balance the diff… Why do i find it hard to believe you welded a perfectly balanced diff?

Second, Either way you used 2lbs of rod, plus the weight of the quarter inch plates… Why? What is the point?

The right way to do it is to weld the spyders with GOOD penetration, and the correct welding material, and spacing.

Even a MIG would have been fine, as long as your welds penetrate and are placed correctly, they shouldn’t break.

Like Martin said:

I’ve had a welded diff in my race car for 4 full seasons, over 100 race events, and never had a problem. If you had one blow up it’s probably due to the quality of the welding, or debris in the bearings.

-Martin.

Quality over quantity, the less you change the less there is a chance to screw something well engineered up…

I didn’t grind anything off I just added to the side that was off.

It wasn’t off by much. I didn’t do the ballancing or the adding
of the weld as I didn’t know how to use the machine.

What Martain said is true but like I said this is something I did while I was board.
We will see how it turns out. Never once did I say Quantity is better than Quality.

I’ll be installing it in my winter beater for the test run see how it works out and
get back to you. I have a feeling it will be alright but another one it may not.

I just think some people got the idea that more was better… and the fact they may have assumed they could pull out their diff and pack it with weld and that it would be fine…

I still dont like it though… but that’s just me…

Yeah, theres more thought put into this than most think.

I didn’t just go nutz with the welder and fill it, I put some thought into it.

We will see how it works… If it doesn’t then meh, no loss it was a spare open diff I had kickin around.

Wow this is a real good discussion for once.

I would like to add to Adam that you can’t really balance it by trying to add weight here and there Bob’s explanation is indeed correct and I think is undisputed…

Mass is an element of centripetal acceleration and rotational motion… Even though location does affect the change to a degree, you just added solid mass to that point, you still have to over come the inertia added through more mass, like wise, it has to slow down, so adding an aluminum driveshaft or something of similar importance really doesn’t have quite the effect that it would without a glob of weld in your diff…

If you have ever balanced your wheel/tire you will understand this. Positioning of the weight is key in balancing something that is spinning. But Bob has explained the other side of this. Positioning is not the complete picture.

Also, if its just off a bit it will still have a huge effect.

But yeah why not try it if you have tools and spair diff. Experimenting is fun and way to learn :slight_smile:

I like this thread alot guys, actually something construtive for once. Start more threads like this Adam :stuck_out_tongue:

Andrew.

I was waiting for you to make a reply to that definition…

Bob’s method = measure 17 times, then 38 more, do it once…

Adam’s method = try it 17 times, then 38 more till it works…

You’re both crazy, its funny.

That diff made me laugh, ive never seen such a huge glob of weld…

Perhaps you mean constructive criticism :slight_smile:

:lol: I can’t help, thats what mech eng guys do :wink:

:lol: I can’t help, thats what mech eng guys do :wink:[/quote]

Yeah… I know…

Adam your the man :smiley: ! I was always wondering if I should try that but I never found the time to do it and plus I didn’t want to attempt it without having a spare diff laying around just in case things didn’t work out. Im glad you did it! :slight_smile: This will help me make my desicion. Let me know how it works out for you. Thanks.

can do this but still cant master the art of spelling simple words like bored. Nice.

Perhaps you mean constructive criticism :)[/quote]

Shhh… That’s what I said Constructive :wink:

Bahh ha ha, Right on Dude…

Bahh ha ha, Right on Dude…[/quote]

Measurement helps prevent mistakes and wasting of material…

Measurement helps prevent mistakes and wasting of material…[/quote]

screw measurement, magiver it togeather, drive it until it breaks, figure out the weak spot and rebuild…case and point my ka…most people only learn 1 way and that’s from mistakes. And frankly i think it’s the best way to learn, you’ll never forget the lesson you learn.

Measurement helps prevent mistakes and wasting of material…[/quote]

screw measurement, magiver it togeather, drive it until it breaks, figure out the weak spot and rebuild…case and point my ka…most people only learn 1 way and that’s from mistakes. And frankly i think it’s the best way to learn, you’ll never forget the lesson you learn.[/quote]

you can still learn w/out doing mistakes :stuck_out_tongue:
and plus, measureing = save money :smiley:

Werd, I honestly depending on what it is I do both.

In many cases I measure twice cut once but in this one I just Cut… :wink:

Let me know how it corners , I am getting some pretty wide and expensive tire next year so welded difference scares me a little .
Nice work though .