so i need a transmission...

alright, so i need a transmission for my truck. right now i have a 5 speed from a '88(i think) gmc 2500. its big, heavy, and has a bad bearing so im getting some nasty vibrations above 55. but it lasted a couple years behind the v8.

anywho, i want something that will hold up well and is not too heavy. i want to keep drivetrain loses down as much as possible, as i know my current trans is sucking alot of hp. my truck weighs 2900 pounds and is mostly street driven, but will see the track once in a while after i get things beefed up enough to know i wont need to trailer home. right now i have 4:10 gears. i prefer a top loader and hydraulic clutch setup. will need to hold up to approx. 500 crank hp and approx. 450 crank lb fts. something that is readily available would be nice.

so what do you reccommend?

NV3500 if you’re looking to keep cost down, T56 if you’re ok with spending some money.

Look around on the internet. There are quite a few companies out there who build custom transmissions for heavy duty, that will ship to your dock in a plastic crate with a core return slip right in the box.

This way you get a good deal, and you pay no tax. Then have your mechanic install, or yourself if you have the means.

2900 is a little heavy, but you know what to do.

glide.

^^^the nv3500 i had lasted a whole 15 minutes when i first did the swap. ive been looking around online but i dont really know what the better transmissions are out there as far as strength vs. weight. i imagine anything out of a car would be better though.

anyone know much about t56’s? from what i did see i hear its easier to adapt the ls1 t56 to a 2piece rear main sbc(pre '87) than it is to adapt the lt1 t56?

edit.

karter, no glide. theyre good for drag yes, but i dont want an automatic. i have too much fun with the 3rd pedal ones

find an old rockcrusher … if ya dont mind a 4 speed