so iam putting a aftermarket head unit in.

my 95 cobalt. i guess it had database 2 now i went into custom radio(which ill never do again and highly unrecommended to anyone here) they told me that i needed this 85 dollar harness.i asked y he explained using big words i dont know. and said or you could use a t harness for 15 bucks. he said if i use the t harness my check engine light will come on and my airbags wont work. now the t harness keeps my factory radio but relocates it to somewhere not visible. this harness keeps the factory radio and its data base program but he tells me it still wont help. can someone explain to me if hes just coning me or is he correct. because when i originally went in there he told me my door chime and my dashboard display(what shows my odometer) wont work so i went back to work and ripped the factory headunit out everything still worked. so funky or any audio genius please help me out.

You have a '95 Cobalt

Yeah i rememeber its something like the factory radio needs to be relocated to the trunk since all the shit goes through there, i remember someone had to pay like 85 for the 04 cavalier to do the same thing

Just work with hijm… Nitro, I dont know what to tell you, but it sounds like total BS to me. Im sure someone who knows what they are talking about will chime in and help.

It’s not BS.

With the newer GM’s it is not a standard ole harness. The harness (with relay) that You need is so that You can keep Your warning chimes, auto-adjust volume, and a few other things.
Basically it ties to the ignitions (key in warning), door switch (key in warning), headlight circuit (lights on warning) and sends signal to the left front speaker (the chime noise). Also ties into the VSS for the autoranging volume (as You go faster or slower the vol. goes up or down) from the stock deck.

Trust me, it’s worth it to have these features.

i’ve done it. a few times.

You dont have to relocate the factory deck.

If You like, I can show You exactly what I mean in my Trailblazer.

if u could that would be great. i ment 05. but the chimes r there like if my trunks open i put it in drive it sends a warning chime it did it on my car. i dont have auto range volume. everything worked we tohught of everything we could possibly test. well except for smashing the front end to see if the air bag goes off.

GM’s are the most expensive cars to put radio’s in, i love watching peoples jaws drop when they come in looking for a radio for 100 bucks, and then i tell them the harness alone is about that much lol

sorry, what I meant by show You was: Show You what all You lose when You hardwire (skipping the Databus et al) as I did.

I’m not gonna install it for You, lol.

this is what I needed (but never got around to doing): http://www.installer-data.com/item/display_item.php?it=bha2004t $74.95

iirc, this is what You need (but please call them to verify): http://www.installer-data.com/item/display_item.php?it=gmrc-01 $79.95

-Nick

just curious, where Do You work?

circuit city in cheektowaga, i’ve been an installer over there for a lil over 2 yrs now

i know u wernt lol. my harness is soldered and ready to go. i wanted to see how its done

Why the bad ratings @ custom radio? out of curiousity…

Everyone else already hit this nail on the head… you already have the databus harness? If you want to stop by my work when I’m there I can see what I can do, but off hand I honestly have no idea what we charge for em… I can make an educated guess that they are probably cheaper than CircuitCity (no offense j)…

If you don’t already have it… get it… :slight_smile: its a pretty basic install once you get it… mostly like a regular harness just a few little differences… if you pick one up from us I’ll show you the dilly y0…

edit: and dont be afraid to shoot me a pm if I dont see a post… sometimes I don’t catch em…

by harness I ment GMRC01, not the relocation harness. thats lame.

The relocation harness has been known to draw batterys dead in some cavaliers, and it’s a p.i.t.a to install. You definatly need the gmrc01 like lemons and everyone else has said. If you don’t install it, your radio will work fine, but:

1. Airbags may not deploy during collision
  2. Oil pressure could get out of whack
  3. Won’t pass NY state inspection, they won’t be able to connect to the vehicles computer
  4. No door chime

It is an expensive harness and CC is probably the most expensive place to get it(ours is call the gmos01 which also has the onstar bypass), but you do need it. Chock another one up for GM and their retarded ways of doing things.

I work with addicted at CC.

You’ll still pass nys inspection. You’ll just have a class 2 data comm code in the BCM. Not an emissions related code. Just buy the proper harness though and get it done right. It may suck to pay that much for a harness but just think how much the tow will be the one time you forget to turn off your lights.

Where do You get this info from?
-and-
Are you Mecp Certified?

ok theres no electric oil pump on a 2.2 ecotec there for oil pressure is fine. ive driven a week now with absolutly no issues except a a hub bolt loosen up due to shatty collision repair. had the vehicle scan today with a snapon scanner no signs what so ever of a code or hidden code. the only problem i had was getting a dash kit. after circuit city and best buy gave me the wrong ones. i went to precision auto in niagra falls. very nice store very helpful salesman to. the place looks bad but i def see it coming together in there. also they were way cheaper for metra dash kits. tup to them