So I'm thinking about getting a RALLIART

oh absolutely…that was years ago tho when i first started driving…she did get a pretty good trade in value on the car however so its not like it matters anymore…

to each, his own…i think comparing an audi to a ralliart is fuck-ing pointless…no kidding audi isnt a honda or a yota but ill take one over any mitsu thats non-evo ANYDAY hands down…he did say he had kids, so i was focusing on the safety aspect as well…after everyone saw what cal put his audi through and walked away without a scratch, thats god damn impressive IMO…the ralliart is like a tin can and i cant see it having impressive crash ratings…but enough of the whichiscarisbetterandwhy bullshit…

back on topic…other than “styling” what are you looking for in a DD?

yes comparing the audi and a ralliart IS fucking pointless lol i dont have the cash for an audi and if its in my price range then it probably old or driven to shit. i can get the rally for 8gs but basicly ive been bouncing from the wrx and the rally now obiously if when i go to get the loan and can afford the wrx i will def get the wrx even though i will take a hit in gas mileage lol.

so ok…lets retry

styling…rally inspired sedan

performance…decent gas, isn’t as slow as a 92 lincoln lol. to revise my prev statement…i probably wont mod this as this will end up a trade in when i buy the evo in a few yrs

reliability…something that will last me for 3-5 yrs

and remember i have kids so im not gonna be taking this car to the track but i would like it to be fun to drive

What’s different with the ralli-art from a normal lancer? (the old ones)

A bumper cover?

I’d say get a nice used 4 door 3 series BMW.

do yourself a favor and dont get it… soooo many better options in that price range

ralliart is such a fggt mobile.

Modding this car is a waste, not to mention this car is hugely lame. Wait until you can buy a car that isn’t a huge turd on wheels.

I CANT BELIEVE THERE IS A THREAD WITH THIS TITLE

I thought he was talking about the '09 turbocharged Ralliart.

The old RallyArts were pretty gross - this looks promising. I have been scoping this out for a while now.

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=343908

Not that anyone on here ever expresses an opinion despite a lack of knowledge, but the major difference between a Ralliart and a base Lancer is the motor, stiffer shocks and springs, front STB, and thicker rear sway bar.

The Ralliart has a 2.4L MIVEC I4 that puts out 160 horse at the crank. No not the fastest car ever, but not ball punchingly slow like the base Lancer.

Opinions on cars on here tend to absolutely blow because nobody gives a shit about who’s asking, they just chant for the coolest car.

That being said, and now knowing your budget, an $8k Audi is probably going to be a problem child. You have explained that you’re a father looking for fun family transportation, so your money will really be better spent elsewhere.

While a Ralliart may not be as bad as some of the forum parrots on here are chirping, there are probably better combinations of fun and reliable to be had with your $8k.

Despite that, here’s some decent info on the Ralliart.
http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Spec_Glance.aspx?year=2004&make=Mitsubishi&model=Lancer&trimid=-1
If you’re worried about safety, check iihs.org and safercars.gov and you’ll see that the Lancer without side airbags did poorly in side crash tests.

More Ralliart info:
http://www.modernracer.com/history/mitsubishilancerralliarthistory.html

An $8k WRX is probably going to be north of 100k miles. I’d look for a 2.5RS. One less turbo to blow, you don’t have to buy premium or worry about detonation if your wife fills the car with 87 octane, slightly better gas mileage, likely lower insurance, etc.

How about Mazda Protege’s? My wife has an 03 that she bought new. It’s got 60k miles now without a single problem (aside from brakes seizing because it never really got washed.) They handle awesome and get 30+ mpg highway. Plus they’re way underrated cars so $8k would net you a very clean one.

Good luck with your shopping.

thanks for saving my the time fry… I love how most people in the thread obviously know nothing about the difference between a base model and a ralliart, which is actually a very nice car to drive. Essentially, if you always wanted a 2000 civic SI that was 4 door, this would be your car.

regardless, I think I would personally look more towards a civic or vw in that price range.

I’ve never driven one, but they seem like a decent grocery getter. Have you driven one?

yeah, but not very far… they’re peppy and nimble… a lot more so than most people would expect - they’re truly 1/2 way between the crappy base and a stock evo and obviously have a nice size interior…

fgtwn, USA

I actually owned a 2004 ralliart. Thank you for noting the facts about the car. NO, it isn’t the best car out there (i sold mine less than 2 years after buying it).
As far as a sporty ride on a budget? The shifter feels great, as does the clutch. The Mivec kicks in around 3400 and pulls nicely all the way up to redline. As with most “sport compacts” in the 160-180 hp range, the stock intake chokes them down. RRM (road-race motorsports) makes a good and low cost intake… as well as many other exclusive parts, including a nice turbo set up.
Don’t get it for gas mileage. The mivec is addicting and you’ll have a heavy foot trying to get more out of it, in turn sucking gas like no tomorrow. It also has a small gas tank, so frequent stops to the money pit are common.
The paint on the 2004’s sucks. It will chip if a bird shits on you while you’re going in excess of 20 mph.
Don’t let the “ralliart” logo fool you into thinking there is anything “ralliart” about it. YES, it is much sportier than a base lancer, but nothing compared to an evolution.
And yes, people can go on and on saying “it should have been turbo charged, it should have been AWD” but it’s not, who cares. If a decently fun little FWD with a 2.4 mivec engine is what you’re looking for, then do it up.
But go drive a bunch of cars in that class.
When i was looking at it, i drove pretty much every car in the class. The only other car that had my attention was the Spec-v.

OH, and for reliability… I had it for 2 years, beat the living shit out of it, and never had a single mechanical problem. not one.
As far as performance enhancing modifications… i had solid front and rear motor mounts, RRM cold air intake, RRM aluminum underive pulley, b&m short throw shifter kit, and solid shifter base and linkage bushings.
That all cost me about 400 bucks.
The car was a lot of fun for a FWD N/A sedan. For $8000, assuming it’s in great condition, it may be a good choice…

I’ve driven both pretty hard. Stock v. stock of that year, Yes.
In the handling department, Ralliart drives circles around the srt4.

well you guys have convinced me. fuck waiting i will just go buy an evo right now.

i will just stop paying my bills and sell my kids. lol

srsly. im not asking for what would be the fastest or coolest car. you guys are just shouting out whats better and so far more expensive. and some of you didnt even know what the ralliart is. but thank you fry, blu, and burnt toast for bringing this thread back to reality. do you guys know about any issues it tends to have mechanically?

I agree - but the impreza is not that great in the space department in the back. Also I dunno about the 2.5i/wrx, but I know the STi rear seats don’t fold down and that bugs the everliving shit out of me. :stuck_out_tongue:

with that said, wrx wagon, or the new 08 wagahatch would be stellar.

really? i would not have thought that at all. I have not driven either car, but to me the lancer is about as much of a pig weight/size-wise as the evo… the srt-4 has to at least have weight on its side.

you want a cheaper comparison?

mazda protege 5 > that “ralliart” excuse