So long Saturn

The deal with Penske fell through, GM shutting the doors on Saturn.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hzJ6l3NJeV0Fmp6mjz25GNJ89AagD9B29NN00

Reports indicate the black guy with the shiny green shirt is really bummed.

“That sounds like the worst day ever”

Side note: whenever I see that commercial, I always think he’s gonna say: “That sounds like the worst SHIT ever”

I tried pretty hard to find a picture of that guy for a photoshop but failed.

:wave: Don’t let the door hit you in the ass on your way out!

Saturn >>> any other local dealer I have delt with.
Paddock, Fucillo, Doyle ford, the GMC dump in NFBLVD.

I liked Saturn because they were not like GM. :frowning:

It sounds like Penske was just blowing smoke the whole time.

Sweet, one bad company trying to buy another bad company.

No, they wherent blowing smoke, they just couldnt find a manufacturer to continue producing the current line to 2012 like they promised. They even looked into re-opening the Tennessee plant. Now my car will be worth the same as those ziplock containers at WalMart, only the ziplocks have more of an aftermarket.

Read the article again. They only shopped 1 manufacturer.

If I were currently in supply chain management (and I am), and wanted test the waters on a deal, and see if I could get something of almost nothing, I would have handled the deal in a very similar way.

If they were truly committed to buying Saturn, and wanted to get into manufacturing, they would have been in talks with a few of the European manufacturers. Penske would have pitted the manufacturers against one another for better pricing and terms, but that is not what happened. Instead, Penske dipped their big toe in the pool, and when they realized the water was too cold, they got the fuck out.

This guy works at one of the 350 dealerships they have open.

I gotta LOL at GM. Saturn was the best thing that ever happened to them.

The deal obviously wasn’t complete on the plant, if it were then Penske would not have backed out of the deal.

They were playing the game. I do this for a living (for only 2 more weeks though).

The guy heard something through the telephone game that obviously wasn’t completely accurate. Again, I say “read the article”… Penske only “looked” at buying the plant. This was another ploy to feign interest.

It’s better for them. GM had way too many re-badged cross-brands anyway.

Wonder if I could get a good deal on a Redline sedan or coupe

Please dont mistake my post for trying to prove you wrong or step on toes. I understand what youre saying, I just think its a shame that GM ruined Saturn with its change to re-badge Opals and stop making plastic cheap econoboxes then shut it down/sell it when it fails to do what they wanted it to. Then no one wanting to bring back the original true tested S-series (or something similar like Toyota did with Scion). I love my local Saturn dealer and after working at two GM dealerships and one Toyota, I have to say they are the best at what they do.

Saturn’s highest volume year ever was 1994.

Good riddance, maybe now we can start producing real cars, Europeans seem to have the right idea.

Well considering Saturn was basiclly importing Opel’s from europe I don’t follow that comment.

In Europe the Astra is the shit, they 100,00’s of them a year. In the US they couldn’t sell a handful a month.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/10710033475/new-opel-astra-notchback-in-depth

cya saturn

LOL…

I still think a used ion is a pretty cheap decent car for anybody. An 05+ one is identical to a cobalt, and shares all the same parts.

If you think the depreciation on a cobalt is a lot, a saturn will be even cheaper.

I drive an 03 ion, and for shitty buffalo winter, plastic rust proof body panels are a nice feature.