so who can tell me about air injection anti-lag ? (EGR antilag)

you heard me … lol

gimme links, gimme tech info, anything ya got …

yes i know anti-lag on a street car is a no-no … i dont care :stuck_out_tongue:

for anyone that dosnt know what it is:

Evolution IV: To homologate a new anti-lag system, all production models were sold with the anti-lag air injection hardware on the exhaust manifold. With no software to control it, however, street drivers were prevented from shooting anti-lag-induced fireballs out the tailpipe during gear changes

A simple antilag system for a rally or road car will instruct the EMU to increase fuelling by 15% when it senses a trailing throttle (less than ¼ open) at greater than 2000rpm. The EMU will than revert to 10deg before TDC and will cut spark at each cylinder by ¾.
(MoTeC and Gems units automate some of these settings).
At the same time, a suitably modified EGR valve opens in response to an EMU command linking the EGR to the inlet vacuum reservoir. Air which is under pressure from the compressor side of the turbo is forced into the exhaust manifold. Here, close to the turbine, the burst of air causes the unburned fuel to ignite.
This combustion creates heat and pressure which spools the turbo to produce over 20 psi boosts with the throttle closed.
As the throttle is reopened at the exit of the corner, boost quickly drops to about 8psi. Once past ¼ throttle, the EMU discontinues antilag operations and normal operation resumes.

bump

otherwise i build it myself and learn as i go …

seems like more fun the second route

there was a CO2 one that i think Carnut was talking about a while back. it looked/sounded really interesting. you should give him a shout.

I have never heard of an air injection AL system, we run a very aggressive AL system on the Rally car, but it doesnt use any special hardware/parts.

i would like more info tooooooooo.

so how would my BOV have to be moified to not open when the system is activated?

it was either build some sort of antilag system or build a 3.6 stroker engine for next year but I don’t think the extra .4L would make a huge difference. so anti lag it is. how distructive is this to the heads or pipe on the car? I wont do anything that is going to drasticly shorten the life of the engine (no jokes needed) .

im sure its worse for the turbo than anything else

AI AL is probably just as bad for the turbo as a “bang bang” antilag systems, which dumps timing a fuel so that flames shoot out the exhaust valves

the difference is that Air injection doesnt fry the cylinder heads / valves / exhaust manifolds, because thats not where the flame is

you just dump extra fuel via the injectors, said extra fule makes it out with the exhaust, then you inject some fresh air into the exhaust so that extra fuel burms off

the combustion is in the exhaust before the turbo, on something like a 4g63, it would be in the manifold, on the SHO it would be in the intermediate pipe just before the turbo

with carefull placement of the WB02, all 3 oxygen sensors will be BEFORE the antilag system, allowing them to read whats coming out of the engine, totaly uneffected by the antilag system

but first, hobbs switch and solonoid to keep the wastegate shut during spool up, see if that does enough for us, if not, time for some 321 exhaust pipe and anti-lag :slight_smile:

if we can get this car to launch out of the hole on full boost, it should become the fastest SHO in teh 1/4 mile … at least officialy … theres a handfull of sho’s that would still put bus’s on it during a highway race

we should be able to cut a second off my time :snky: if we can achieve moderate boost off the line.