SOLID vs HARMONIC DAMPNER(not balancer)

the solid crank pulley being bad is some newly found thing. The info about its negatives were made available to everyone years ago.

Hondas, Mitsus, Nissans, Toyotas… they all develop problems when running these pulleys. The tests were done, the results revealed, and people ignored them because they wanted the shiny aluminum…

http://www.ozdat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=13496

http://www.atiperformanceproducts.com/products/dampers/damper_dinan.htm

heres some more stuff for you to ignore. (now that you know that the crank pulley IS, in fact a damper for the harmonics)

Also - NHRA has made your wonderful solid pulleys illegal in anything going 11.00 and better.

Unorthodox Racing has also dodged the subject in the media - and claimed a harmonic balancer is only found on old cars with a external balanced pulleys. They are backing their product (it puts the food on the table and pays the mortgage - can you expect anything else?), and they simply avoid the negatives behind it and just regurgitate that its LIGHTER therefore its FASTER! it makes like 2-5hp at the expense of your engines health. And now their site claims a HUGE MPG Gain saving you THOUSANDS A YEAR! They’ve gone didi7 meets the Tornado air swirler with that one.

That isnt what a “harmonic” balancer is for - its there to dampen vibrations - not balance your engine.

just some stuff i was reading on sr20forums.

are lightweight pulleys the same result for an engine?
or is this something unrelated? like for the belts to go off of?

Pulleys are not ballanced, have’ater with those. It’s the crank pulley, also, most use rubber as an isolator, rubber deteriorates after about 10 years in any conditions, never mind heating and cooling beside the block for over a decade, our stock dampner still helps massively over a “light weight pulley”, but if you’re building your motor, it’s worth every cent to get a good, proven dampner like ATI, or I don’t even know any other brands, but I’m sure there are some :stuck_out_tongue: