Sony Strikes Back...Sort Of...

jesus they still sell almost a 1/2 million PS2s a month…

yeah people are pretty stupid huh

:lol: :tup: to Sony.

I know people are going to jump on here…

“Well PS2 alread has a fan base with thousands of games!”

“The 360 hasn’t been out as long!”

+1 for Sony just because.

Oh and no hate here… I do plan on getting a 360. :slight_smile:

Yeah, that is because people are peplacing all their Disc Read Error consoles for updated ones. Nice move on the planned update Sony.

Tis the truth, I’ve had two with DRE’s. :tdown:

too bad there were no 360s in stock until recently…

:word:

Since buying a PS2 at launch, I’ve gone through at least 6 or 7. Only 2 of those were by choice, the rest were to replace DRE’s or other misc. problems with the system. I’ve only been through 3 Xbox’s (including the Halo LE) and I’ve used it a lot more than the PS2.

This is more proof that anyone with some intelligence can get the numbers to say what ever they want.

I’ve NEVER had a problem with my PS2. Only reason I replaced is because I broke it putting in the mod chip. Other than that I’ve had zero problems. Never had a bad thing to say about them.

Consider yourself lucky then. I know there are a few people out there that haven’t had problems with their systems at all.

When I was working at EB, I heard more people complaining about their PS2s crapping out on them. Now, granted the PS2 has a larger install base than either the Xbox or GC, but if you were to look at ratios, a greater ratio of PS2 owners complained.

Now my dreamcast, that is a system I’ve never had a problem with. :slight_smile:

Ya, I’ve heard plenty of bad things. But I shrugged them offsince I never had problems with it or my original Playstation.

I just went through 3 ps2s. only one works now

I went through 3 xboxs though… execpt they all work still, and all are hooked up to different tvs in the backment for some halo2 action.

What the fuck are you doing to these things?
I’ve had mine since launch and its been fine. One time I had a disc read error when I first bought GT4. I cleaned the laser and its been working perfectly since.

Nothing out of the ordinary. They sat on a shelf next to the TV, rarely, if ever, being moved. Just ask people who know me… I take car of my shit. Maybe I was just one of the unlucky ones in regards to the PS2s. Either way, its left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth ever since it started happening. That’s one of the reasons that I’m not the biggest fan of Sony.

I’ll go through the history here:
1st: Bought at launch, lasted about 4 months, started getting DREs
2nd: Replaced 1st unit. Had it for almost a year
3rd: Willing replaced the 2nd unit for the 30001R system (BIG:roll: upgrades and DVD drivers built in). I think this one last maybe 8 months, then started chewing up some of my DVDs, including Office Space :mad:
4th: Replaced third, this one was doomed from the time I got it out of the box. I had it maybe a week.
5th: I think this one lasted the longest, over a year, had no real issues with it, should have kept this one :bloated:
6th: One of the first generation Slim Line systems, working at EB and me being a nerd, I had to have one, so in went the 5th and I took this one home. Power supply started having problems shortly there after.
7th: Current system. No problems with this one, and the funny thing is I’ve move this one around more than any of the other combined. Back and forth for GT4 nights, etc…

And during this entire time, I ALWAYS had the original system laying flat with plenty of open air around them, so none of this “because it was sitting vertical” or “maybe it was overheating” crap.

How in the world was it chewing up your DVD’s? Nothing touches them except for the thing in the middle that actually spins the disc.

All I know is that still have my PS2… and I used it the other day for a DVD. Still works flawlessly… even with the plug and play mod chip inside.

I saw this on a regualr basis: Basically, something would cause the disc to become unbalanced in the drive while spinning. Sometimes it was the label on the disc, sometimes it was a problem with the drive itself. Either way, when the disc became unbalanced, it would sometimes make contact with the actual tray and leave very pretty concentric rings on the disc. After that, once you get to that point in the disc, a movie would stutter like a coke addict and most games would simply lock-up.

I know there was an epedemic of this with Madden 2003 when it first came out. I’d say more than 25% of the people that bought it at my store came back within a week. All of them had the rings on the discs.

Wow sounds like some bad luck. Like I said, I had mine for about 4 years or so before I had a DRE and a little alcohol and a Q-tip fixed it right up.

I probably could have done that with the first one, but I had a warranty on the thing. Plus it gave me an excuse to go in and buy another game or two.

My PS2 is 4-5 years old. One of the old “big” ones. I have had to clean the laser a few times but thats the only problem I have had. Now I do go threw controllers alot but thats from throwing them across the room when I get pissed at a game.