Sound meter?

Does anyone have a sound meter that I could use for a few hours? I need to test the Db output of my bike exhaust to make sure I fall within regulations to ride. Thanks in advance.

with in regularions? what are they? seems to me this seems to be up to the discression of the police officer.

Ive never seen them bust out a sound meter, but have been ticketed twice.

“All modified exhausts are illegal period.” TOC Officer of the Law

If they are gonna get you - there’s not much fighting back unless you are 100% not at fault.

Maybe bike regulations are different, but seeing as they prob. ticket a ratio of (1 : 247,094) being (Harley : Streetbike) Im assuming its up the the cop

Sorry I didn’t specify better in my OP. I’m going to NH motor speedway for a motorcycle track day in July and the NH regulation is the bike has to be under 99Db in order to ride on the track, so I’m trying to make sure I fall under the limits.

I highly doubt you are, but then again neither am I. :lol

I’m going to stop in Radio Shack see if they have something of sorts.

Me too but I would like to know for sure before going, and to think I have the Db killer installed in my pipe too :lol

I think steel wool will be the ticket for tech inspection and after that I doubt they will really care.

99 DB is nothing and im willing to bet i can fart that loud

Gatville had my Radioshack dB meter I don’t know if he still does though.

I don’t know if they’ll do the sound checking at tech. Chances are they’ll do it on one of the straights at the track, and then point you in to tell you it’s too loud. I’m pretty sure that’s how LRP does it.

From the way its worded in the bike requirments it seems like it will be done at tech by a NH official by just listening and than if it seems like it may be close breaking out the meter. Though from what I have read the way you said is the most common way of doing Db checks so thats quite possible as well.

I have a radio shack meter kicking around…hell i’ll give it away if i can dig it out

If it’s louder than the OE muffler that came on the bike then it’s illegal.

I found mine…PM me if ya wanna use it or take it

Read the entire thread.

Cavy PM sent.

here is the law kids… pay attention.

94db- 20 inches from the tip, at a 45 deg. angle, revving to 3/4 throttle.

your pipe is prob over the limit. 3/4 throttle is revving the balls out of it. i dunno how nys came up with this number, a lot of cars are well over the db limit.

it is up to the discretion of the officer to an extent. if the officer isn’t a licensed nys inspector, its just a judgment call. i think that is a load of b.s. saying all aftermarket exhausts are illegal.

Did either one of you read the WHOLE thread? :banghead

He is talking about a track regulation not NYS laws.

yeah i did actually. :thumbup

there were people taking about the police in the beg. of the thread, so i figured i’d clear it up for everyone. most track regs are around 99db iirc.

Go to audio obsessions. they have one. no, you cant borrow it. bring the bike.

I have one we use for msha regulations at work. Radioshack sells them

So I register 120 Db at about 8000RPM from a distance of maybe a foot. :lol

Thanks 97cavy for the sound meter.