speedo problem

alright, well i was driving on the 401 last night and my speedometer decides to go down to 0 and stay there. it now is permanently resting at 0 but my rpm needle is still in perfect working condition and my car is driving fine. does anyone know what is wrong, and can it be fixed.

also, i dont know if this is directly related to the speedo problem, but a little later on after the speedo stopped working, it felt as if my fuel was cut off. this was on the 401 and i started slowing down fast and the rpm meter started dropping also, obviously. after tapping the gas peddal a few times, i seemed to have gotten some fuel back and i started picking up speed normally again (this wasnt due to a lack of fuel, bucasue i has a full tank of gas). anyways dont know if this has anything to do with the speedo incident, but both things happened within 20 mins of one another.

Yes, they are linked. You will need a new speedo or speed sensor, or both. It’s hard to find out which is broken short of taking stuff apart and using a multimeter… but most likely it is your speedo that is broken. A new speed sensor is $175 from Nissan, and you wont be buying the speedo new.

my 240 is an 89, if i were to bye a gauge cluster from a 91-94, would there be much i had to do to get it into working order in my car?

I don’t know for sure, but I don’t believe the KA24E and KA24DE gauge clusters are interchangeable.

They are not. Best bet is to pick up a used one.

alright awsome thanks guys :smiley:

Sure the clusters are interchangable, problem is the tach’s are different. So you’d trade a broken speedo for a non working tach if you install a twin cam cluster. There should be lots of '89 clusters available used.

-Martin.