Speedometer stops working sometimes...?

I have a 1996 240sx SE, and sometimes the speedo just stops working. When I tap the casing a few times it comes back on. Seems like something is loose, but I took the hole unit out and made sure all the connections behind it were fine. I still have the problem, can anyone help? Thanks guys!

is it only the speedometer that stops working? how about the odometer?

i’m thinking you might have a problem with the speed sensor. :dunno:

K

Yes the odometer stops working as well. But if it was the speedo sensor then why does it work when i tap the speedometers casing a few times?

Hey just on the way to the body shop today (getting my ride completely stripped/restored/repainted), I noticed the sad lil bugger’s speedometer stopped :shock: It was at 0 and just stayed at zero.

after a while it jumped up and got up to speed then stopped for a while then again jumped up like it was struggling then after a while finally, it was working… What the hell? LOL… it’s like after the car warmed up it was fine.

In any case there’s two weeks or so until it’s back in my hands… :cry: lots of bling spent on restoring it… hmm… what a sad thing to do with money… yet, that’s what it costs if you want a unique ride… as in the end it’ll cost the same as a new car once it’s done probably lol… but at least it won’t be a new civic or something ah well… I should make a blog on this project car as opposed to ranting like this :stuck_out_tongue:

SO yeah, the speedometer I got issues with it too…

if both your speedo and odometer are cutting in and out together, i’d guess you have a bad speed sensor connection.

check your connection at the tranny… or try a new speed sensor.

K

ok im gonna say its not ur speed sensor…and i had this exact same problem with my 240 and its ur cluster not ur speed sensor…

so buy a new or used cluster and it will be fine