Speedy Shifting Techniques

An important factor in any kind of racing: Shifting fast, and shifting smooth. Short of doing modifications such as installing a lightened flywheel, what are some things you can do to speed up your shifting? These types of things would be handy for all types of driving.

I’ll start by listing some of the ones I know.

Power Shift

When wanting to move up a gear, simply ram it home, get on the gas and off the clutch as fast as you can. Hard as hell on the drive train but saves precious milliseconds and speed.

Gate Shift (That’s just what I call it. I have no idea what it’s really called.)

Most people probably do this unconciously, to a degree. When shifting up, clutch in and move the lever out of the gear you’re in and quickly bring it to the point where the lever would “snick” into the next gear (Best I can do to describe this is a gate.). Use a light but firm pressure to hold it in front of the “gate”. As engine speed and layshaft (right term?) speed drop, the speed of the dogteeth of the next gear will meet with that of the layshaft and the car will almost seem to “pull” itself into gear through very little effort by the synchros.

I hope that one wasn’t too confusing :rolleyes:

I’ve run out of time but I’ll list some more if I can think of any. In the mean time let’s here everyone else’s input.

B-Wurm :smiley:

When wanting to move up a gear, simply ram it home, get on the gas and off the clutch as fast as you can. Hard as hell on the drive train but saves precious milliseconds and speed.

To hell with that, why lift the throttle? just pump that clutch as you slam it into the next gear! It’s what self-destructing gearboxes is all about. I used to do it all the time in my old Celica, but that transmission was near bulletproof… An S13/S14 transmission might take a few hits like that, but the Honda ones might only be strong enough for 2 or 3, LOL!

Exactly. A real power shift is when you don’t lift off the throttle.

Your “power shift” is just a regular ol’ hard shift.

I can shift quick enough with my car that I don’t lose boost. That’s even with a half-fucked transmission.

As for actual power-shifting…well frankly I don’t think it’s necessary. It fucks your synchros and if your car has decent power it’s just going to cause your tires to break loose more often.

That’s what I was thinking - unless you have a dedicated drag car, why put your tranny through that extra strain?

And most dedicated drag cars have trannies that are either built to withstand that punishment, or are automatics.

Or you could be a real die-hard drag freak and install one of these:

http://www.gforcetransmissions.com/tran_gf2000.asp

Oh, well then. I stand corrected :stuck_out_tongue:

well actually i got about 15 power shifts out of my tranny in my acura integra befor i blew up the differential but that was the pinion pin that wore through and i bought the car with 327,000 kms on it already, the tranny lasted to 352,000. Not bad considering if you have ever riden in my car while racing you would probably wonder how it lasted as long as it did. Power shifting takes a bit more then raming, but mostly. If you really want to learn your tranny though drive with out a clutch it really helps you learn the workings of your tranny and might help you understand it more. And saves needless clutch wear but if your bad can cause your tranny to wear prematurly…remember that syncros are a wear part and will eventually wear out.

Power shifting works, i raced a turbo’s civic with my stock integra and still beat him and he supposedly had 169 whp. And i have beat my buddy in his spec-v with my acura. 35 hp more and a limited slip should have no problem beating my acura but…???

Specs lose a lot of power in the driveline. (GODDAMN BALANCER SHAFT! :finger:))

We’re factory rated at 175/180 Hp/Tq. Stock V’s dyno somewhere around 145/155. Also, we’re not helped out by our short gearing - off the line we should have you, but after that practically everything with VTEC walks us on the highway.

I put to use both of those techniques into one shift. it’s really fast, and not very hard on the tranny.

Yeah, I’m pretty good at shifting without the clutch, no grinding but the shift is smoother with the clutch so I usually do that. Clutchless is damn handy when you’ve got a drink or something though :lol: