Spotted!!!

So in town today I was driving along and spotted what appeared to be an Evolution 8, unsure as to whether or not this was real I had to pull in to see. This is what I saw, excuse the pics, I only had my phone on me.

The car has alberta plates, so I asked the guy how this was possible. He told me in 2003 when transport canada was making the rules for importing of US mitsu’s they lumped all Lancers as Lancers including the Evo.

Some friends of his in winnipeg had just opened a Mitsu dealership and decided they should bring some in. They imported 12 Evo’s. But during the inspection of the 12th car the inspector noticed it was nothing like the other lancers that he had seen so far and immediatly phone Transport Canada. TC instantly banned the importing of EVO’s into Canada but there are 12 that are grandfathered in.

Who would of thought one would end up in Wainwright Alberta?

i remember talking with the guys at the dealership about this before they even tried it out. Theres something about the 5mph bumper test that makes it fail our regulations. But i guess they went ahead and got a couple in anyways!

if i remember correctly the dealership is Vickar Mitsubishi or something along those lines?

yup. they had one at a few car shows before selling it to someone in Ontario. IDK if they brought in all 12, but they definitely had two silver ones. one went to ON, the other to AB.

There’s one here in Calgary same colour, i was shocked to see it in the autotrader about 6 months ago going for about 34k.

talking about LTD!!! :finga:

There is a white one in Calgary as well.

damn lucky!!!

makes one wonder how everywhere else has evo’s and canada got them banned…retarded

Yeah, because of the front mount intercooler it fails the 5mph bumper test. It’s a ridiculous protectionist policy transport canada enacted. The bumper is actually completely useless.

Yeah, because of the front mount intercooler it fails the 5mph bumper test. It’s a ridiculous protectionist policy transport canada enacted. The bumper is actually completely useless.[/quote]

well it does kind of make sense, when talking to vickar mitsubishi they said when they did the 5mph bumper test for transport canada or whoever…it actually crushed the front mount and obviously created the biggest boost leak ever…rendering the car damn near useless (the 4G63 relies completely on boost)

i’ve sinced talked to vickar mitsubishi and they said they only got away with bringing one in…the other was red flagged, the one they brought in was black if i remember correctly…someone else is bringing these things in!

Yeah, because of the front mount intercooler it fails the 5mph bumper test. It’s a ridiculous protectionist policy transport canada enacted. The bumper is actually completely useless.[/quote]

they needed a rule of thumb by which to measure a cars safety so they used the cost of repairs. It seems logical to some degree, that a car that costs only 500$$ to repair after crashing into an object at 8 mph, is safer than a car that costs 1000$$ to repair doing the same test. I think the term used here is corrollary.

Measuring safety by the dollar value of repair makes no sense at all, heh. The safety of the humans inside has nothing to do with the cost of parts. There must be something more to the equation.

Measuring safety by the dollar value of repair makes no sense at all, heh. The safety of the humans inside has nothing to do with the cost of parts. There must be something more to the equation.[/quote]

like I said to some some degree. ?i wonder if a ferrari will pass this test?

heh crazy lucky guy