Spring Compressor

Anyone have a recommendation on a brand for a spring compressor? I know its just a basic tool but wondering if anyone has one that’s better quality or easier to use than the cheap-o ones you can rent from autozone.

are we talking valve spring or coil spring?

if valve spring… if buying one spend the money for a good one… i have never rented one…

coil spring … i have had some good times with the cheep ones… but get the safe cheep ones… that will not blow off… or rent them … they will rent the “safe” ones

if ur talking about coil springs, i never had any issues with the autozone ones… :shrug:

oh sorry, coil springs.

I rented the autozone ones before when i had my integra and they were rusty and i was nervous that they’d even hold the spring.

I figure if its gonna be an extra $40 to just buy my own its not that big of deal and the peace of mind that its a quality compressor when i’m cranking it down would be worth it.

ok for coil spring what are you doing stock to stock or stock to “lower”…and what kinda car

98 altima, shocks are blown, gonna keep the stock springs but probably replace with a set of kyb’s it looks like i can get a full set for around $300 on ebay.

ok then you should get something to do it with…there is ways around getting them and getting other this to use but im not going to be the one to tell you how to do it

but def you need something to compress the springs b/c you staying stock

what? :fuzzyfish:

basically he was saying you will need to compress the springs to do the swap. the ones i got from autozone in w. seneca looked new, when u rent just check it b4 you leave if ur worried about getting another rusted one. i mean… its free… cant hurt.

thanks <3

i guess my original post came across weird or something. I know how to do the swap i was just wondering if anyone had a certain spring compressor that they liked over any other kinds.

You’re going to replace the shocks but not the springs on a 10 year old car? If it were me I’d spend the $ and put a good set of springs on the car too and some new mounts. Just my .02. I’ve had good luck with the Auto Zone spring compressor tools too btw.

im considering it.

Agreed. If you use them properly, you should have two on there anyway, the chance of both failing is minute. If it still geeks you out, sit them outside while you do your shock/strutwork.

I’d at least drop in new mounts, if not springs. New shocks will kill off the old mounts pretty quickly.