spy shot of new Nissan GT-R

i think sports cars are getting bigger and bigger is because the SUV’s are getting larger and larger. before the escalade came out, cars were still in its decent size, now, look at it. we got hummers on the road now. look at the nitro. its retarded, its a small car with wide fenders just to make it look big. since suvs are getting bigger, it down sizes the other cars, so i think companies have to make up for the difference in their different class of cars. just a simple way of thinking it. plus people are getting use to seeing larger size cars, with wider stance…cars like the fit, demio, civic…etc etc…all the small cars are getting bigger inside, and some of them outside also…

or because people are getting fat.

That’s IT!!! You have solved the mystery.

RICH FATT PEOPLE

Holy shit! That looks wicked! I love it!

not a chance in hell :slight_smile:

You have seen this right?

I think Z06s will be lunch for this thing

lunch eh…

consider this:

The C6 Z06 weighs 3150lbs and makes 500bhp/475lb-ft of torque.
It does the Nordschleife in 7:40, meaning it can turn as well as it boogies.

The GT-R is expected to weigh somewhere around 3600lbs and make 450bhp/450lb-ft of torque. All the ATTESA-ETS PRO in the world won’t overcome that weight difference.

Of course these are preliminary figures and anything can change…

but I wouldn’t count on it ruining the Z06 by any means.

I still like the new GT-R but I’m not so quick to buy into the hype that everyone is creating over it.

good thing i read the second page before posting…i was going to ask wut the hell is it doing in the u.s…

Heh,

Well, the Proto (it’s not really called a Skyline) was very fast around the Nurburgring. There’s more videos of it out there, owning the 911-turbo chase car. The grip it has flying through those corners, for a preproduction model, is astounding.

Let’s not forget the last time Nissan set out to build a sports car to set the world on its ear, we got the R32 GTR. And it humbled pretty much everything Germany, Italy and the US had to offer.

A 20 year old car that still gets most of you wet in the trousers.

I think realistically, to put the best GM has to offer, against the best Nissan can do, will be a cakewalk.

GM has done wonders, but really, the Z06 is an old design. Half the reason the C6 is as good as it is, is that GM has been redesigning the same car for 5 generations. Yes, it’s quite refined as GMs go, but really not too far off from the 63.

The Skyline is the opposite, it is all about showcasing innovative technology. And Nissan has made no bones about it, this car is being built as a supercar, to beat the 997s, Gay-ardos and other goose-stepping saloons.

Regardless, the Z06 may prove to be faster, but that’s only a very small portion of the equation. That’s why the world is so infatuated with them - they can hang with things that cost twice as much. But they’re still weak from a design standpoint, the interiors are atrocious, the resale value is low, etc.

And to be fair, the Z06 is a factory hot rod. Let’s wait until there’s a Z-tune Proto :wink:
This is the first time since the R32 Nissan has cared enough, and been financially free enough to build anything without cutting corners.

I agree with most of what you say here, and you’re definitely right that to be fair the equivalent of the base skyline that they release should be compared to the base corvette on a level of showcasing what the company is capable of producing.

The only thing I would beg to differ is that the skyline has a chance in hell of being “faster” (I hate that word, its very general) than the c6 z06.

Regardless of anything to do with why or how the z06 is however fast that it is and how similar it is to the original. The fact remains that there is only one production car to ever beat the c6 z06 around the nurburging and that is the ferrari Enzo. Nothing Lambo or Porsche have to offer can beat it.

I’m not trying to say either car is better

But more what the new GTR represents, vs what the Z06 is.

The GTR excites me. With the newly released Japanese supercars, (Lexus LFA, Acura Advanced Sports Concept) it should be very cool to see how these cars stack up.

The Z06 is like what we used to call Granny beaters back in HS. A granny beater is an Acadian/Chevette with a V8 swap. Very easy swap, very fast car.

Just like the Z06, in that it’s a old-school approach - big V8, light chassis, RWD. But, after 45 years of development, I wouldn’t exactly call it “innovative”

This is where this turns into a more elitist rant than I’d like but … the Z06 does nothing to advance new ideas. It’s almost redundant. It’s like the new Mustang, the GT500. Loads of power, should be very fast. Still a solid axle, still the same formula they’ve followed since 1964. Except now it has iPod connectivity.

It leaves me wondering what these cars could do with a fresh breath of technology.

All those cars serve to do is give toothless masticators of the English language reasons to beat each other over the head for brand loyalty.

The Proto, and the other new J-Super cars should herald an entire new line of thinking, of ethical tuning practices. I can’t wait to get my hands on some VNT turbos, or what Nissan is calling electronic lag control

I just don’t think people give the C6 Z06 the credit it deserves. The fact that it weighs a mere 3150 pounds goes to show there is more engineering and development into that car than most people care to believe.
Yes, it and the 63+'s share a transverse leaf design. But by that logic, the new GT-R is just a continuation of the R32 because it uses ATTESA-ETS, a technology developed in the late 80s.
Obviously the new GT-R is nothing like the old R32s, just like I believe the C6 Z06 is nothing like the C2 through C4s.

I do think the new GT-R is going to be a kickass car… but I also believe the final product, despite what Nissan markets it as or what people would like it to be, will be closer to a GT car than a sportscar. 3600 to 3700 pounds of curb weight tends to do that.

I also think people are quick to hop on the GT-R bandwagon because they are Skyline fanboys (not to say that this is you, mr200) and they credit the car based on their GT4 experiences.

I just don’t like this mentality of ‘omg its a skyline (even if it isn’t being badged as one) it can kill anything’.

Haha, nicely put.

Again, I don’t disagree with you and personally I can’t wait until the cars packed with innovative technology start stomping on the old school cars.

I’ve been waiting until there is an argument to the old statement, “There’s no replacement for displacement”. Soon we’ll be able to argue, "Yes there is. It’s called technology’

If the GT-R is faster than the new z06 I’d be surprised, but I’d also be glad that someone has finally pulled it off. I’ll be even more ecstatic when it’s a 3.0L in a skyline putting down more power, using less fuel, lasting twice as many miles, weighing less, etc. beating the 427 in a corvette which doesn’t know how to do anything properly other than make good torque and drink a lot of fuel while doing it.

I see no complaints in this thread an mbc wouldn’t fix… it was true in the past with other nissans…

however if it has a pair of vnt’s attached with good coordination with the gearbox/electronics… the torque curve should be like a tsunami, ie steep

More spy shots and video:

http://www.photodump.org/stored11/skyline1.jpg
http://www.photodump.org/stored11/skyline2.jpg
http://www.photodump.org/stored11/skyline3.jpg
http://www.photodump.org/stored11/skyline4.jpg
http://www.photodump.org/stored11/skyline5.jpg
http://www.photodump.org/stored11/skyline6.jpg

Video link

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/GeneralFuture/articleId=119564

Four months ago we brought you the first spy photos and video of the 2009 Nissan Skyline GT-R as it lapped the Nürburgring test track in Germany. Now, after an intensive stakeout that covered two states, we present these exclusive spy shots and video of the next-generation Nissan Skyline GT-R testing in the U.S.

It all started when a spy photo surfaced early last week of the 2009 Skyline at a gas station in New Mexico. We figured that particular Skyline prototype was working out of Nissan’s Arizona proving grounds, so we dispatched our crack spy photography team to get more on the high-powered supercar. Sure enough, after staking out Nissan’s secluded test facility our shooters managed to snag some long-range shots of the GT-R turning hot laps on the proving ground road course.

But of course we wanted more, so when the Skyline crew headed for Southern California our photographers followed. Not surprisingly, Nissan’s engineering team was bound for a facility in Torrance, California, not far from the company’s recently vacated corporate headquarters. Along with an empty warehouse for storing the Skyline prototype and its Porsche 911 Turbo competitor, the engineers have a semitruck stuffed to the gills with wheels, tires and other testing equipment.

Once they got situated in their new digs, Nissan’s engineers headed out for some tire and highway ride testing on various L.A. freeways. Nothing radical, just cruising at moderate speeds on the concrete blocks that make up the rarely smooth 405 and 10 freeways. After a few loops, the Skyline returned to the shop, swapped wheels and tires, and hit the road for additional testing with the 911 Turbo in tow at all times.

As for the car itself, it reveals no new styling details we haven’t seen before. The front and rear ends remain covered and even the interior is shrouded in camouflage. One detail we were able to make out is the set of steering-wheel-mounted paddle shifters for the transmission. As we reported previously, the 2009 Skyline won’t get a manual gearbox. Whether that means we’ll be stuck with a traditional automatic or a newly developed dual clutch setup similar to Volkswagen’s DSG setup is still unclear. Engine details have also eluded us, but we’re working on digging up those specs as well.

One thing you can count on is more footage of this particular Skyline prototype. Our shooters are still on the hunt, so if this Skyline ventures out in public again we’ll be there to capture more spy photos and video. Stay tuned for more updates later this week.

Great shots!!

NO MANUAL TRANSMISSION THOUGH??!! That’s terrible news!

Looks Deadly!

no it looks boring…

I did some photosloppy last year and made it better

http://moredhel.net/3z/gtr.html

http://moredhel.net/3z/gtr/001_G-E.jpg

http://moredhel.net/3z/gtr/018_G-E.jpg

^^I like your take on the GTR front end

That was my thought too, that the lights would be modeled fairly closely to the 350Z.