SR Hesitation, And sputtering when pushing throttle

OK when i drive the car normally it doesnt hesistate at all. When I push the pedal harder to accelerate faster, it hesitates and makes popping sounds, and jerks, and also gives a little backfiring. I have just replaced the exhaust manifold gasket as well as the gasket between the manifold and the turbo. Prior to all this the car was flooded, and I changed the timing because I didnt know it was flooded for sure. Could the sputtering and hesitation be a loose O2 sensor, or timing? My boost gauge shows at idle the vacuum as -20 or -19.

i had th is same problem,

vaccuum leak, it turns out one of the clamps on my FMIC was loose and when i got up past 3500rpms it was opening up a bit.

check all your couplings.

99% boost leak. Check for pinhole leaks or cracked/loose couplings like bing said,

if not that you could check your plugs i highly doubt its ur plugs, otherwise i’m not sure if its neither of those things you need to check into more serious things and i’d actually have to think for more than 2.34seconds

I checked all the coupling and tightened everything, still no luck. The spark plugs were fouled with gas so i sanded them down (very little), can they possibly be the reason? Also, the timing was adjusted, would that cause the hesitation?

new plugs are cheap dude…

just throw some BKR6E’s in there for a bit, they are like $14 for a set or something

Yeaaaa, so my mechanic said it could possibly be a lot of fuel still burnt in the cylinders or something. It backfires like a friggen whore when i boot it. Feels like it has very little power. The backfiring is literally insane, when i boost it goes POP POP POP continuously through boost, and this happens sometimes, not every single gear. One gear may not backfire at all, and the next will do it like a bitch. The manifold cant be leaking cuz I dont hear anything, and I dont feel any air coming from it. Im gonna grab a new set of sparks, and try that out.

Set your timing properly! 15 degrees BTDC. Pull the #1 coil pack and put a plug wire between coil pack and plug and hook the timing light up to this. Some timing guns don’t give you an accurate reading when hooked up to teh wire “loop” at the back of the rocker cover - Snap-On ones are the biggest problem… mine reads 36 BTDC when it’s really 15!

-Martin.

could also be clogged injectors.

Ok I set the timing with a timing gun, and now it seems to be boosting quite a bit better. Although, when I push it at 3/4 wide open throttle, or full throttle, it backfires like crazy (not even all the time) and as it does this, the car hesitates, and is thus, slower. I cant hear ANY leaks even at high boost. Now, I checked the spark plugs to see whether i was running lean, and they were fairly dry (white). My mechanic said they look normal, but before I flooded the car they were always dark in colour so they were running very rich. Can the car be backfiring from lack of gas?

is your check engine light flickering on as well? if it is you’re screwed just like me. I have no idea what is but it sounds similar, it only happens when the boost is really up there.

Nope, no engine light.

change all your vacumm lines maybe, i need to do the same.

My cousin had this same problem in his z34, when he accdently put 2 stroke in his tank (don’t ask)

When he drove it it felt liek the car was gonna blow up, I literally climbed as far back in my set as possible just in case.

turned out all the injectors were clogged and crap and the valves wouldnt open up properly with all the gummed up shit.

He put some fuel injector cleaner in her and some other stuff to help clean it out.

Try that before u spend the big bucks?

Fuel injector cleaner hurts fuel injectors. Take them out and get them professionally cleaned if you think that’s the problem. Also if you are sputtering and backfiring POP POP POP when you hit boost, it would also be the result of too much fuel. Maybe check the fuel preassure? Just an idea.

It was the MAF FIXED*