sr starter question

Tried to start my sr last night, everythings hooked up now (thanks Darian & Jeff) battery is in the back good ground, when I try and turn it over the starter clicks but won’t turn over (brand new charged Optima). The ground cable jumps a bit and gets quite hot. Tried moving the battery up to the front and hook it up there to insure a 100% ground but it still does it. Starter shot???

any thoughts?

Thanks

if the starter ticks and wont turn over, then i suggest tightening the smaller connection on the starter cuz thats the actuator that pushes out the shaft in the starter to make it touch the flywheel…or, the engine is seized up…turn it by hand from the crank pulley to make sure its smooth.
peace

he’re your problem, you let darian touch your car, it’s cursed now.

check the main connection on the manifold, all the other connections on the back of the start, and try tapping the starter with a hammer…ask dairan about starters, hyland starter alternator tested his and put it back togeather for him, worst bet it’s f’d and needs a rebuild.

but seriously dont let him touch your car he’s cursed…

well the motor isn’t seized, I put it in 4th gear and pushed it over a couple times. Tried the hammer thing to. Is it possible to cross the wires at the starter? + side is closest to the block? and - is closest to the frame?

yeah thats possible, never done it on a nissan, but can’t be any differnt than any other stater. Honestly is sounds like the starter is jamming. Pull it and have it bench tested.

if your ground wire is getting hot then you likely have a short or osmething

check your ground clean your terminals tighten it up and look for shorts at teh starter i dunno

if your ground wire is getting mad hot and your starter isn’t doing anything, it’s most likely jammed up.

hot ground wire => starter is getting power => solenoid works. just take it apart and try again.

and someone mentioned tightening the connections. be EXTREMELY careful when torquing the starter down the main +ve bolt is copper you’ll destroy it with minimal force (I speak from experience)

I’m not really sure about these cars but I know changing starters around in the DSM world some flywheels are larger than others and causes the starters to act all retarded.

Pull it out and test in on the floor …its real easy…hook up a positive terminal to the 12MM thread and to the lil actuator clip…then ground the jumper cables anywhere and the shaft will not only spin but also protrude forwards …if both happen, they ure starter is ok…
If not, pm me, i got a used sr starters, or i got a guy who rebulids them for a great price.
peace

hahahaha, darian didnt really touch much :wink: neither did i…

but like matty said… hit it with a hammer/stick etc and if she starts while someone is hitting it then shes toast… go buy one from Varun :wink: