SR swap breaks up on tip in, sometimes WOT...

Posting for a friend.

SR (redtop) swap into 93 coupe… wiring isn’t the greatest, but it doesn’t seem to be intermittent enough to be wiring (let’s hope)

The tip in and partial throttle tend to break up occasionally, but not all the time… WOT seems weak. I’ve performed a boost leak test on the car, it’s good. Car has stock SR maf and an SAFC which is still zeroed. Car is also on stock boost, no BC, WG spring only.

If i had to guess, i’d say it’s ignition, so i’m thinking:

Check plugs/gap

Check CAS timing… seems to be rotated to one extreme edge of the slot.

Check coilpacks

Check ignitor

Check harness for continuity

Car idles great, cold start seems ok (was a bit rough this morning in open loop mode, though) I think it’s still on stock fuel pump and pressure regulator. Car has no FP gauge, but based on the smoothness at WOT at 5k+ RPM, i don’t think it’s a supply issue. Will an RB reg fit?

Any other ideas?

[QUOTE=newman;240178 I think it’s still on stock fuel pump[/QUOTE]

Thats the problem then… stocker can do that and I’ve even had it happen as I drove my SR setup for 2 days prior to installing the walbo and once installed she cured the problem

Dead spot in the TPS?

Driving the car yesterday it got much worse. It’s breaking up all over the place. Backfiring a bit too… The backfiring leads me to think it’s ignition. I am going to throw some bkre7s in there @ .028" gap and see how that goes. Then start checking coilpacks and ignitor from there.

Those are the same spark plugs and gap that I use. They work fine for me. No problems so far. Good luck.

Yea, try a different set of coilpacks. If it sounds like machine gun noise it is always ignition breakup.

Fueling usually sounds like a big build up and then a loud pop, where as ignition breakup either “hums” or pops like a machine gun rapidly

buddy if you want your fpr back just give me your address and i will stick her in the mailio.

bump this up. Car just came back from paint, so now i need to get it running.

Here are the symptoms:

car starts and idles fairly well.
however, if i try and rev it in neutral it falls on its face. it starts to rev, then it sounds like it just cuts out. the wiring on the car is sketchy at best. The ignitor was relocated to the passenger compartment. It used to run well, but it’s just gotten worse and worse. the car is not drivable.

it’s using an s13KA maf and an safc set at 05 input 06 output.

at one point, i disconnected tha maf completely, it would start and idle, but then still not rev at all, but worse…

here is a conversation i had with bing:

[16:39] christian: i gotta get that POS running
[16:39] christian: i hope it’s something simple like a sensor
[16:39] christian: not some BS wiring
[16:39] bing: have you run the codes?
[16:40] bing: because no one ever does that
[16:40] christian: nothing comes up!
[16:40] christian: 5-5
[16:40] bing: they spend weeks mulling over it… and dont run teh codes
[16:40] bing: orly
[16:40] christian: yeah
[16:40] christian: wtf
[16:40] bing: shouldnt be mafs then
[16:40] christian: but it fucking runs like total shit
[16:41] christian: i hope it’s not fucking blown up
[16:41] christian: that would suck
[16:41] bing: got a boost / vac gauge on it?
[16:41] christian: yeah i did.
[16:41] christian: before i put it in the suby
[16:41] christian: it seemed OK.
[16:42] christian: i don’t see how it can run that poorly and throw a 5-5
[16:42] bing: iono, beats me
[16:42] christian: who should i ask? any ideas?
[16:42] bing: vaccuum issues wouldnt light up the ecu though
[16:42] christian: yeah
[16:42] christian: but this fucking misfires like mad
[16:42] christian: it’s not like just shitty
[16:42] christian: it’s not driveable
[16:42] bing: plugs…
[16:42] bing: im sure you checked those
[16:42] christian: already did em.
[16:42] bing: cas… but that would signal the EUC if it was shorting
[16:43] bing: aiv…
[16:43] bing: that wouldnt hit the ecu
[16:43] bing: but i dont see how it would be the problem… it would affect idle more
[16:43] christian: yeah
[16:43] bing: did you make sure the coil pack harness wasnt shorting?
[16:43] christian: at WOT it wouldn’t really matter
[16:43] bing: did you try other coils?
[16:43] christian: no.
[16:43] bing: might be a good idea
[16:44] bing: i dont have extras though
[16:44] christian: yeah, but i tried unplugging each one
[16:44] christian: and it makes a noticeable difference
[16:44] bing: ah
[16:44] christian: each time
[16:44] bing: headgasket
[16:44] bing: timing
[16:44] christian: it used to run fine
[16:44] christian: then one day
[16:45] christian: it just shit out
[16:45] christian: like
[16:45] christian: in a period of 20 mins
[16:45] christian: it just went from running OK, to not
[16:45] christian: can you put me in touch with someone who is good with nissans?
[16:45] bing: that sounds like a ground issue
[16:45] christian: it’s like
[16:45] christian: it wants to rev up
[16:45] bing: chris is good, but he wounldt come up there
[16:46] christian: but once it hits about 3500 ROM
[16:46] christian: RPM
[16:46] bing: sasha is great, but he doesn thave time
[16:46] christian: it sounds like the ignition just totally cuts out
[16:46] bing: hmmm, refresh your post on SON

If it cuts out @ 3500rpm then the MAFS is toast… try swapping it out with another (SOHC KA MAF) and see if the problem goes away.

You can also check the ECU and see if its spitting out any codes because if the MAFS is indeed faulty then it should be spitting out a code 12 (air flow meter)

Yeah, that definitely sounds like a MAFS issue to me. I had the same problem with mine when it came unplugged.

newmy,

remind josh, i’ll give him the Z mafs and i’ll go get that other mystery mafs i have at my parents place.

more information:

this occurs whether the mafs is connected or disconnected. though it’s noticeably different when the mafs is disconnected. If I start the car, let it idle for a few seconds, then give it about 10% throttle, it will rev up to about 2000 rpm, sit there and sound perfect for…1…2…3 seconds then just totally cut out and the RPMs fall off. Then it will shudder and shake for a second or two, then stall.

This is repeatable.

Thoughts?

AEM w/ map

done.

Seconded

If you know the wiring is “sketchy” then fix it before you bother with tring to figure out what else is wrong. Start by fixing what you do know is wrong.

Sounds like ignition breakup, check to make sure you grounded the coil pack harness to the back of the head and that both surfaces are CLEAN.

not getting an AEM, i am selling this car once i get it running correctly. Although it does look very pretty in Subaru World rally blue. Will look even better with some gold meshies on there…

It’s just the boggling fact that it runs great for a few seconds, then, with absolutely ZERO change in input it feels like someone flipped a switch and just killed the car. It’s not the ignitor, tried a new one yesterday.

have you tried coil packs yet?

sounds like ignition to me

also walbro pump is key

i’ll give you $1000 for it as is.

i realize that a walbro is required for higher boost, but i put a pressure gauge on the line and it holds a steady pressure.

try another ecu, i had about the same symptoms with my sr, turns out the ecu was pooched.