SR20 boost question

I got a 180 with factory s20det almost a year ago and the engine was stock from bov, intake and intercooler, i noticed a greddy speed limiter remover by the ecu, and Just a 3 inch catback was upgraded. It went, it was pretty quick. I didnt put in a boost gauge until i changed my intake to an hks hiflow mushroom filter,and just removed my stock bov and replaced it with a ss heatpipe with hks bov on it, it ran great…Probly few weeks from buying the car i changed those parts and then installed my boost gauge and from then i was peaking at about 13psi and steady at 12 all the way. I drove like that the whole year no problems whats so ever boosting to its fullestat some points, so just this past weekend wanted to make sure my gauge was reading right because eveybody i heard from say that its not possible to run 12 pounds with just intake and catback. We installed an Greddy ebc and with steady boost i peaked at .85bar which is about what? 12-12.5 psi. So my gauge was reading right, just wondering why im boosting that much. Ill be dynoing it soon to see if my a/f ratio is off. SO ANY SUGGESTIONS???

Actually that is completely normal if the stock boost control solenoid is disconnected. I have seen many people with just an intake and exhaust mod running between 12-14 psi.

I checked the solenoid and its there, pluged in.Whether its working or not im not sure, so who knows, could be busted. But would it be safe to run your car without the solenoid?

Yes is it safe, it is just so that the ecu can pull some boost if it detects knock. Yes it is safe to run without it, however i would recommend a front mount intercooler and make sure your fuel pump is up to snuff.

if the solenoid is plugged in, you’ll be running 12 to 14psi.
if the solenoid is unplugged, you’ll be running straight wastegate which is 7-8 psi.

thats normal boost for having it plugged in, it’s working properly.

i myself made a switch that interrupts the ground to the solenoid so i can switch between the two settings, if you’re worried about running 12-14psi constantly.

well my fuel pump is good, brand new walbro couple months ago.

So if you have that solenoid it runs 12-14psi? I wonder if my brother has his running straight from the wastegate cause he has a silvia with a swap sr20 that he bought and hes running about .5/.6 bar

Probably, and yes beatshack has it right, i got it backwards.

so if the boost solenoid is plugged in it should run 12-14 psi? and it should run that without a boost controller? I thought stock sr’s were set at 7 psi?

thats what i was confused about, but it does make sense that if it runs straight out of the wastegate then it will run 7-8psi thats what t25 put out. So with the solenoid i guess it acts as a “boost controller” in a way that its open abit so it leaks and increases to 12-14 pounds :rolleyes: . Or maybe im just talking nonsense haha . Yea im wondering why some people have to buy boost controllers to increase their boost if the solenoid does it for you stock.

That is exactly how it works. The solenoid redirects some of the air going to the wastegate back into the intake.

anyone have a pic of the boost solenoid, sorry pretty big newb here haha.

Kinda explains it, hope its not too messed up, heres the clear pic

Its on the right side, below the hot pipe and across from the wastegate, cant miss it if you have it

okay, i thought that was it and i do have it hooked up but not boosting 12-14 psi, its at 7psi right now.

Yea thats weird, i dont know how it could be different yours from mine. Unless yours might be plugged up somehow so it doesnt leak, but then doesnt explain why others boost 7psi also.